PDA

View Full Version : Question.....

Brett
03-30-2005, 05:19 PM
In a month or two I will be in the market to buy a new bike, Wanna get a sport bike. I am not into doing 200mph, so I want to get a 600, What sport bike do you all feel is the best and what prices do you pay average? I see they are usally about 7-8k, how much under sticker can you get?

AznTraitor
03-30-2005, 05:21 PM
brett, I say get a Suzuki SV650.....you'll love it....great commuter bike and very forgiving....

you can go for the SV650S, but I like the naked look myself...

or a Buell Lightning....those are really balanced as well.

Brett
03-30-2005, 05:25 PM
I dont like the "Naked Body" look on a sport bike. Is the Katana 600 a decent bike? Why are Suzuki's 2 grand less for the same CC Bikes then a Honda or Kawasaki?

The Katana is $6200 and the Kawasaki and Hondas are in the low 8k starting price

dereksi
03-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey Brett let me cruise your bike. Im gettin one soon too and i want to see how a 600 rides

Brett
03-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Derek I dont have one yet, I hope to get one in a month to month and a half.

AznTraitor
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
man, I dont like Katana's at all....they are really top heavy for some reason...I've met like 3-4 guys who had katana's and have all gone down....

check out maybe a Yamaha YZF600, or even look into a used Honda F4i....what's your spending limit? I know of a few bikes that are for sale at the moment....

Brett
03-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Well when I do it I will have to finace so I will go through a dealer, I rather get a new one. But the Yamaha is 7k so not to bad

Brett
03-30-2005, 06:22 PM
The Yamaha YZF600R looks like a nice bike and its about 7k new

Cliff
03-30-2005, 07:42 PM
if you want i will set you up at mountain adventures and get them to give you the best price they can.....and honda's are much better quality bikes than katana and suzuki and stuff....but check out the f4i's and the yzf600 both very good choices...if i ever owned a bike though it would be nothing less than a cbr600rr

AznTraitor
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
my buddy is about to buy a 05 Honda 599, he lives in midtown and wants something comfortable and easy to manuever on surface streets....
http://www.ronnies.com/2004units/honda/2004599.jpg

even though you dont like the look of naked bikes, remeber what you are buying it for.....have you sat or ridden a sport bike? all manufacturers have a different feel, like I hate GSXR's because their tank flares out too much and puts my knees in a awkward position....Yamaha's and Honda's have a slimmer profile and seemed to fit nice, Kawasaki's fit pretty nice too, but I think they have a higher stance...but that might just be me....so be sure to sit on all the manufacturers and see what is the most comfortable and fits you, secondly, go take the MSF course and then ask around and see who will let you take their bike for a little spin around so you can get the feel...of what you like.

right now, I'd love to get a Buell Lightning....those things are sweet, and the guys up in the mtns are tearing the hell out of them!

here is the one I want XB12
http://vtwinplus.com/March_2004/Photos/12R_STA01.jpg

and something a little smaller for you XB9
http://vtwinplus.com/March_2004/Photos/9SX_STA01.jpg

Cliff
03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
i love the 599....nekked bikes are hot.....i would love to have one of the new 919's though

Brett if you have a free weekend or a day off coming up or somthing take a drive down here....mtn. adv. has honda yamaha suzuki kawasaki and harley/buell is across the street so you can sit on all of em.....

AznTraitor
03-30-2005, 08:03 PM
i love the 599....nekked bikes are hot.....i would love to have one of the new 919's though

Brett if you have a free weekend or a day off coming up or somthing take a drive down here....mtn. adv. has honda yamaha suzuki kawasaki and harley/buell is across the street so you can sit on all of em.....

yeah man, naked is the way to go....for some odd reason it totally grew on me and I want a naked one something fierce! my buddy didnt want to jump up to th e 919 for his first bike.....my true love is a RC51.....but the Buell Lightning is a really really close second.

Cliff
03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
the new rc51 is sexy and you should hear the bike with no pipes on it..sounds like you're at a nascar race....and i like nekked cause you can see the header and all the motor and stuff and it just gives a cool feel.....i dunno i'd take a nekked one just as quick as i'd take a reg sport bike

AznTraitor
03-30-2005, 09:12 PM
there's a 03 RC51 here, the dude just left for Iraq, and his buddy is selling it for him for pretty cheap....

already has Sato Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Vortex Race Rearsets, hotbodies undertail, ohlins damnper and shock.....the thing is pretty trick....but alas I have no monies for it...

Cliff
03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
wow that sounds like a nice set up...but...5 minutes on a bike and i'd be dead.....

Brett
03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
I dont like the naked look, I went the full sport bike look when I get one :D

Cliff
03-30-2005, 09:54 PM
i never thought i'd see brett say he doesn't like the naked look

Brett
03-30-2005, 09:56 PM
^^^ :lmfao:

UnEEk4DR
03-30-2005, 10:32 PM
gsxr 600........i loved mine till it was stolen.....i bet the newer ones are even better than the one i had...im thinkin about gettin an r6 or another gixxer but maybe bumping to a 750 this time

MSTANGSALEEN
03-31-2005, 05:41 PM
thats a hideous looking buel

AznTraitor
03-31-2005, 08:16 PM
thats a hideous looking buel

eh, to each their own I guess....but I think the Xb12R looks hot as shit.

HiPSI
03-31-2005, 08:21 PM

here's my list for you:

the new GS500, if you're just looking for a fun starter ride and not worried about saying you have big balls because you ride a 600 supersport. coming in at a low low price of $5000 MSRP
http://sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-suz-g5-01-zoom.jpg

the SV650S, IMO the absolute best all around bike on the planet. comfortable enough to ride every day, but agile and capable enough to rip it up in the mountains. very reliable and not insanely overpowered. semi naked look but very clean lines compared to the round healight of the standard SV model. great usable power for the street, and priced nicely too compared to the 600 supersports with an MSRP ~$6300

p.s.: you can get lower fairings for these bikes if you absolutely can't live without full fairings ;)
http://www.gullacher.com/toys/SV650S.jpg
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-suz-SV650S-A-zoom.jpg

the honda F4i, another great bike although not as forgiving as the previous 2 and not as well priced
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars/000565-200408-000014big.jpg

yamaha YZF600R, overall good bike, but the SV still beats it in overall performance IMO
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/500/05_yzf600r_blu_1_3528.jpg

so as you can tell, i'm voting SV although you don't like nekkid bikes ;)

AznTraitor
03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Erin my boy, have you priced SV's lately? the dealers around here want 8-9k for a S model....but maybe that's just Columbus.

I was saying the 599 or SV's too ;)

AznTraitor
03-31-2005, 08:54 PM
here are some pics of my buddies 2005 SV-S with lower fairings....

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/15719/05sv650sside2.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/15719/05sv650front2.jpg

HiPSI
03-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Erin my boy, have you priced SV's lately? the dealers around here want 8-9k for a S model....but maybe that's just Columbus.

sure you weren't looking at the 1k? hell yankee's buddy just bought an 05 GSXR750 identical to his bike for 8800 with 400 miles on it. straight from the stealership. MSRP for the 05 SV650S is $6449, so anyone paying that kind of bank for one is downright stupid as hell. the SV1000S is going $8599 MSRP which is why i believe you're mistaken.

Brett
04-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Erin thanks for all the advice, Im leaning I think to the last one you posted ( The Yamaha ) Has the great looks, Good price and seems to be a good bike for the money

AznTraitor
04-02-2005, 08:02 AM
brett you fool! the SV has better perfomance and getup....it's a proven bike!!!

just get the SV and the fairing kit, I think it looks pretty good.

uncle_el
04-02-2005, 10:34 AM
hmmmm.... lots of good info guys. i think i like the look of the nekkid bikes, too, lol. azntraitor, that buell you posted is hot as *ish.

gotta see what happens in the next few months though, as i'm moving. :(

Cliff
04-02-2005, 10:37 AM

2005 SV650S $5,499 told ya ya'll should check out mtn adv.

AznTraitor
04-02-2005, 11:12 AM
2005 SV650S $5,499 told ya ya'll should check out mtn adv.

you and erin can shut the hell up, so yeah...maybe I was looking at the 1000's instead of the 600's.....you make one mistake and it follows you forever...

uncle_el, nekkid is the way to go man!

the honda 599 or Suzuki SV are comfortable and still fast enough to do some damage

the buell's will run a little more, and you're gonna hear stories of them being problem queens, but what bike doesnt have problems?

uncle_el
04-02-2005, 11:14 AM

azntraitor, what's that one run?

AznTraitor
04-02-2005, 11:25 AM
msrp is like 10,500.

but I've seen some 2003-2004 models sell for like 6k....

the bike is pretty trick overall, the single sided brake and the rotors are just pure sex....

www.buell.com and click on mania to see some buell's in action.

on edit, the one I have pictured is the XB12R, which is a 1200cc bike

they also have the XB9 which is like 949cc and msrp's for like 8500

uncle_el
04-02-2005, 11:29 AM
msrp is like 10,500.

but I've seen some 2003-2004 models sell for like 6k....

the bike is pretty trick overall, the single sided brake and the rotors are just pure sex....

www.buell.com and click on mania to see some buell's in action.

on edit, the one I have pictured is the XB12R, which is a 1200cc bike

they also have the XB9 which is like 949cc and msrp's for like 8500

pure sex indeed! looks great in midnight black with amber wheels. :D

HiPSI
04-02-2005, 01:29 PM
yeah the buells are pretty, but i'm still partial to japanese twins :D

uncle_el
04-02-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah the buells are pretty, but i'm still partial to japanese twins :D

can i have half of the twin set??!!? ooops, were still referring to bikes. :D

idk... i still have a lot of research to do, as i won't be getting a bike for at least 6 months...

i really like that buell lightning, but i also like the half naked suzuki you listed earlier as well... but then there's a difference of 300cc, which means i probably need to look more at the suzuki than the buell...

HiPSI
04-02-2005, 04:24 PM
can i have half of the twin set??!!? ooops, were still referring to bikes. :D

idk... i still have a lot of research to do, as i won't be getting a bike for at least 6 months...

i really like that buell lightning, but i also like the half naked suzuki you listed earlier as well... but then there's a difference of 300cc, which means i probably need to look more at the suzuki than the buell...

the sv650 is probably one of the greatest bikes ever made... they can do everything and are still very reasonable to own. they are a comfy daily ride and i know a few people that use them as track only bikes and turn very fast times on them. price wise and usability wise it would be an easy choice for me over the buell. the xb12 is more of a bragging rights kind of bike, as status symbol ;)

uncle_el
04-02-2005, 07:04 PM
just went to suzuki's website:

sv650:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/SV650K5.jpg

versus

sv650s:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/SV650SK5.jpg

i'm assuming we're referring to the 2nd one. correct me if i'm wrong.

it is 2000 cheaper than the buell.... but then again, the buell has a larger displacement.

edit: erin, i thought you rode a honda, but you're touting the suzuki. what gives?

edit 2: azntraitor, you might have me sold on a buell, lol

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-buell-xb12r-d3-3.jpg

AznTraitor
04-02-2005, 08:04 PM
yeah man, erin is on a suzuki/kawasaki kick all of a sudden, pretty much for bragging rights though....cough, cough....

I love my honda, I plan on keeping it forever, and just getting a second bike...

I want a Buell Lightning XB12R though, also known as a Firebolt. The thing is just so damn sick, from the brakes, to gas tank, to the exhaust.....and the great part is, if you ever get a exhaust for it, it sounds just like a harley! everyone will hear you coming up and then all of a sudden have to take a second look, thinking "jigga wha?"

uncle_el
04-02-2005, 08:35 PM
.....and the great part is, if you ever get a exhaust for it, it sounds just like a harley! everyone will hear you coming up and then all of a sudden have to take a second look, thinking "jigga wha?"

that might be too damn loud, lol.

AznTraitor
04-02-2005, 08:41 PM
that might be too damn loud, lol.

me and Erin were up in the mtns last year, and I heard this what I thought was a dude going nuts on a harley....you could hear it echoing all over the place, the dude was hauling some ass....and then all of a sudden....out popped a Lightning...I was so confused, but once I caught grasp of the situation...I knew I wanted one.

chuck
04-03-2005, 10:48 AM
hey brett i've got a friend with an 05 GS500 for sale, she's hardly even taken it out of the neighborhood, i think it's only got around 500 miles on it...

but the yzf600's are nice too, i had one for my second bike and loved it.

HiPSI
04-03-2005, 02:29 PM
el, the sv650 and the S models are the same bike, save for the upper fairing and sportier bars on the S model. my main reason for touting them so much is that they are just plain good bikes. like i said, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and they are easy to ride and comfortable enough for that long ride you may end up taking here and there. the buell on the other side of the coin is a more powerful, more expensive, and more attention needing bike. it will outperform the SV overall, but the experience of owning the suzuki in this case would be much better, especially for a new rider. having taken a ride on a mildly modded SV650 at the Dragon last year, those bikes are perfectly capable of hauling ass when you want them to. i actually felt more comfortable in many of the turns on the SV than my own CBR (but then again, i'd only owned my 954 for about a week at that time ;)). that showed me right away how rider-friendly that bike is and i've actually been looking at them for a 2nd bike or trackday machine since they are so easy to keep.

as for peter's comment, i'm not on a suzuki/kawi kick. from what i've seen/read/talked about with other riders i really like the new ZX6R's. but i also still love the 600RR. i've been looking for a while to possibly step down to a 600 because i like the lighter feeling of the bikes over my 954. but in all honesty i'll most likely just play with some suspension settings and tire combos to get my 954 to handle like a 600 :). actually just picked up a set of M1's for it and dropped to a 180 rear tire :D.

HiPSI
04-03-2005, 02:32 PM
and BTW, for all you guys looking for bikes. you absolutely MUST set a good chunk of money aside for proper riding gear. good helmet/gloves/jacket are a bare minimum, although some riding pants and boots are also highly recommended. after my 15mph lowside in regular pants i know how insanely fast concrete will eat your clothing even with the slightest fall ;).

chuck
04-03-2005, 03:57 PM
if you plan on buying new let me know, especially if you are thinking about showing the bike. we are about to open a new shop and may be able to give you a little deal if you could help us get the word out ;)

Cliff
04-03-2005, 06:43 PM
ya'll shoulda seen this pack of bikes i saw at the QT in decatur/lithonia area......there were prolly 70 sport bikes in the parking lot with prolly 100 people all standin around talkin....

AznTraitor
04-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I second what Erin says about gear.....make sure you have some good coinage set aside for a good helmet, leather jacket, somekind of boots, and gloves.....a pair of leathers would be nice, but you can get away with jeans and a good jacket....dont skimp out because your skin is the same as mine, it will bleed and get road rash...as for helmets....remeber...it's protecting your brain....

uncle_el
04-03-2005, 08:42 PM
and BTW, for all you guys looking for bikes. you absolutely MUST set a good chunk of money aside for proper riding gear. good helmet/gloves/jacket are a bare minimum, although some riding pants and boots are also highly recommended. after my 15mph lowside in regular pants i know how insanely fast concrete will eat your clothing even with the slightest fall ;).

I second what Erin says about gear.....make sure you have some good coinage set aside for a good helmet, leather jacket, somekind of boots, and gloves.....a pair of leathers would be nice, but you can get away with jeans and a good jacket....dont skimp out because your skin is the same as mine, it will bleed and get road rash...as for helmets....remeber...it's protecting your brain....

but of course! i've taken care of a few motorcycle accident victims (nothing major) in my 2 years at grady. i've seen that gear definitely makes a difference.

plus i'm too pretty to get road rash, lol.

civicS14
04-04-2005, 12:37 AM
600RR all the way, thats what i ride and lovin it

UnEEk4DR
04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
ya'll shoulda seen this pack of bikes i saw at the QT in decatur/lithonia area......there were prolly 70 sport bikes in the parking lot with prolly 100 people all standin around talkin....

i wish it was like that around here, never seen a group larger than 6-7 and they were riding up the road the day after my bike was stolen...

Anyone have any input on the 99-02 r6? I think that is going to be my next bike.....although I did find a 03 R1 for 4 grand soooooooo maybe I will get one of those if the price is right when I can finally buy one in a month

AznTraitor
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM
i wish it was like that around here, never seen a group larger than 6-7 and they were riding up the road the day after my bike was stolen...

Anyone have any input on the 99-02 r6? I think that is going to be my next bike.....although I did find a 03 R1 for 4 grand soooooooo maybe I will get one of those if the price is right when I can finally buy one in a month

99 is carb
02 is fuel injected

big difference.

HiPSI
04-04-2005, 10:10 PM
although I did find a 03 R1 for 4 grand soooooooo maybe I will get one of those if the price is right when I can finally buy one in a month

if you found an 03 R1 for 4 grand and it's still recognizable as a motorcycle then it's just as stolen as your gsxr or the usual ebay/cycletrader scam. and you never really learned to ride your 600, a literbike would be a death sentence for you.

UnEEk4DR
04-04-2005, 10:18 PM
just curious, why is it that a 1000 is such a death trap? I mean if you respect it and dont crack into it then what does it matter what size you go up to? I wouldnt be tryin to be the cool kid and run the thing into a wall, i would ride it normally until i felt comfortable enough to enjoy it more.....anyways I will more than likely end up with a R6 just because they are more in my price range.

as for the R1 it has a # and stuff to call, i have a friend who wants to buy it so I guess we will find out. Says it has a clear title

AznTraitor
04-04-2005, 10:36 PM
well to help hipsi with his theory.....

you barely rode that 600 to it's potential, or at least what you have stated in your previous posts...

a liter bike, is alot heavier and alot torque'er and if you were not using the power of the 600 or used it to it's potential, you are basically learning alot of new things on the 1000, which is gonna get you into trouble...have you taken a MSF course or taken the bike to the mtns before?

UnEEk4DR
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM
nah, well if the 1k is that much heavier i definitely dont want it. the gsxr600 felt hefty to me but the 02 and 03 600/750 felt so much lighter for some reason...anyways ill just stick with a R6.....i was just curious thats all

HiPSI
04-05-2005, 12:30 AM
the 1k isn't that much heavier. the problem comes in with throttle control. there's no point in getting into it in depth but after reading your posts about riding you don't need to be slinging a leg over a 1k until you get plenty more riding experience. i have a 954 and have been looking to get back onto a 600 because it's just plain more usable. i bought it mainly because it felt good and i got a decent deal, but it's a whole lot of bike and i never use all that power. there is no need on the street or when doing normal trackdays.

AznTraitor
04-05-2005, 08:17 AM
i have a 954 and have been looking to get back onto a 600 because it's just plain more usable. i bought it mainly because it felt good and i got a decent deal, but it's a whole lot of bike and i never use all that power. there is no need on the street or when doing normal trackdays.

that's cuz your a squid when it comes to riding....last night proves it ;)

HiPSI
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
that's cuz your a squid when it comes to riding....last night proves it ;)

i had no squily issues of my own... just with certain other riders ;). btw, the mugshot is up :)

AznTraitor
04-05-2005, 06:29 PM
i had no squily issues of my own... just with certain other riders ;). btw, the mugshot is up :)

lol......awwww...he looks so "hard".....I guess life behind bars will do that to you....haha

Jaimecbr900
04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Dang, It looks like I showed up to the party late......good thread.

Brett, these guys have given very good advice and the bikes suggested you really can't go wrong either way.

Two things though:

1. What kind of price range are we talking about for you?

2. Why hasn't anyone suggested the good ole Ninja 500? It's got a bulletproof motor, more power than the GS, and been the platform for many a race bikes. I've had one since 89 and don't have but one complaint, no real good exhaust choices. It's also like a $5k buy in new. Sub $2k used in good shape.

Just another idea.

http://www.faymyers.com/FM/whatsnew/bikes/Kawasaki/05%20Ninja%20500%201.JPG

http://www.safe-mc.no/images/nye2003/k_ninja500r.jpg

AznTraitor
04-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Jaime, I didnt suggest the ninja, because so many people buy them and then within 3months, they want to upgrade....I figured since he rode a little before we were gonna just skip that and just get him into some solid entry 600cc bikes, that are still rider friendly

Brett
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah the 500 is a small bike also, The 600 is a better size for what I want. Jamie, Im looking at about 7k is what i want to spend at most. I want a all around good bike, Im not into hardcore mountain runs leaning the bike on my knees doing 100 in the turns...LOL. I will go into the mountains but im just a bit more cautious then some riders I guess. The 600 is a good size bike in actual size and power, The power isnt to much, but not to little. I wont go with the Ninja because they are so high priced, a 600 is about 8k, Thats about what Honda asks for them and both are about a grand or more then the Yamaha that is the same size and same cc :)

ScreaminZetec
04-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Brett I'm with the rest of the guys the Suzuki 650S is a great bike, if you like the V-twins, the Yamaha is great too, its a little old on technology but still a great bike but its rider position is a little too upright for me. Of course I'm gonna be biased to Honda as I have one, but Honda just builds a bulletproof bike, and they are so smooth and very easy to ride. I absolutely love my F4, I don’t think I will ever sell it. lol But any of those bikes are great choices. And when you get it give me a call, we need to go riding. :goodjob: :goodjob:

Brett
04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Mark, I will give you a call when I get one, you can count on that my man!! I wish I could get a Honda, But 8 grand is a hard amount to swallow, Hell my daily driver was 8 grand, and that has 4 doors!! LOL

But I will do a hard look at the Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki when its time, Just depends what I can afford

UnEEk4DR
04-08-2005, 01:59 AM
are you set on buying a new bike? I would get an older one just to save some money plus it wont kill your pockets as bad when you drop it. you can find some really nice used bikes with low miles on them

Brett
04-08-2005, 09:29 AM
I may look for like a '03 or '04 used to, But I dont want to buy a bike that hasnt been very well taken care of or even dropped and repaired, etc.... Im very picky about the things I buy like that, I want them in mint shape.

ScreaminZetec
04-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Used is great if you find a good bike, thats how i got mine. Saved about 3000 on it. Also a down side to new is if you finance it you normally have to have full coverage. Thats something I cant afford, i think full coverage for my 5000 bike was almost as much if not more than full coverage on my car :eek: , and i have a clean record. But i wish i had full coverage cause i am always afraid to park the thing. Thats why its chained and locked up at my parents house and not down here.

Jaimecbr900
04-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Damn, I keep forgetting about this forum. Sorry for the delay.

I understand the Ninja 500 argument, although when I had mine (it was back in the late 80's though) it was easy to manage and I had a lot of fun with it. That thing would wheelie in heartbeat.

Anyway, I understand. Yall think my opinions suck..... :2up: :D

Seriously though, the 650 is pretty nice starter bike. Some of the older ZX6's are also very easily found in good shape. Those had plenty of power for most. The F4's are pretty pimp. They have good suspensions and pretty even powerband.

Brett
04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
I think I found the one I want for sure.... I went to a shop over here in Alpharetta that had all the major brands..... I sat in the Yamaha that I was thinking of getting ( The 600 that sold for $7,000 ) But it felt to top heavy and I sat on the CBR which felt real nice but was $8500, so I was looking at the Kawasaki, and I guess what was once the Ninja that I had is now not called a Ninja... Well when I got on that one it felt just right, Was light, comfortable and just felt perfect for me, so this is the one I think I will be looking to get in the next month or two.......

Here are the Specs:

The Kawasaki ZZR®600 motorcycle is dramatically changed for 2005, and will strongly appeal to sportbike riders of all skill levels and especially first-time buyers.

Based on a previous generation NINJA® ZX-6R sportbike, the new ZZR600 features a confidence-inspiring aluminum chassis, high-performance engine, 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system, powerful six-piston brakes, sleek body work and dual headlights. As such, it offers an unbeatable combination of style and performance, yet it’s comfortable for daily commuting and weekend getaways.

The 599cc, liquid-cooled, inline, four-cylinder engine features dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. Kawasaki’s Twin Ram Air Induction system – which features a leading-edge air scoop at the front of the bike’s fairing – forces cool air into the ZZR600’s airbox and then onto its four 36mm carburetors. The carburetors also feature the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC), which monitors the throttle position and adjusts ignition timing for the engine’s four spark-plug mounted ignition coils, maximizing the ZZR’s performance at every rpm.

The ZZR600’s engine is matched to a close-ratio six-speed transmission, providing the rider with the best gear for any riding situation, whether it be freeway droning or sporty backroad work.

A lightweight aluminum perimeter frame provides the backbone of the ZZR600’s chassis, while suspension duties are handled by a fully adjustable 46mm cartridge-type front fork and fully adjustable UNI-TRAK® rear suspension.

Stopping power is provided by six-piston calipers gripping dual 300mm semi-floating front disc brakes, matched by a 220mm rear disc brake.

The ZZR600 is shod with high-performance radial tires mounted on 17-inch aluminum wheels. The 120/65ZR17 front and 180/55ZR17 rear tires provide maximum traction and help provide a smooth ride over bumpy surface streets and freeway expansion joints.

The simple, sleek lines of the ZZR600’s aerodynamic body work are distinctly Kawasaki in appearance and pleasing to the eye. Available in Metallic Ocean Blue for 2005, it strikes an elegant-but-athletic balance with the extruded aluminum frame, angled front fairing, purposeful air scoop and three-spoke wheels.

The ZZR600’s ergonomics make long-distance rides a pleasure: The stepped seat is flat to enhance operator and passenger comfort, and the bars are an easy reach. Plus, the wide mirrors provide the operator with an exceptional view.

The instrument cluster for the ZZR600 is entirely electronic and includes a speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter and – one of the most desirable of features – a digital clock.

SPECIFICATIONS
Engine: Four-stroke DOHC inline four, 16 valves
Displacement: 599cc
Starting: Electric
Bore x stroke: 66.0 x 43.8mm
Compression ratio: 12.8:1
Cooling: Liquid
Carburetion: (4) Mikuni BDSR 36R
Ignition: Digital
Transmission: Six speed
Frame: Aluminum perimeter design
Rake / trail: 23.5 degrees / 3.7 in.
Front suspension: 46mm Cartridge Front Fork, fully adjustable
Rear suspension: UNI-TRAK® rear linkage, 20-way compression and rebound damping, ride height adjustment
Front wheel travel: 4.7 in.
Rear wheel travel: 5.3 in.
Front tire: 120/65ZR17
Rear tire: 180/55ZR17
Front brakes: 300mm dual hydraulic disc with six-piston calipers
Rear brakes: 220mm hydraulic disc
Overall length: 79.9 in.
Overall width: 28.7 in.
Overall height: 46.3 in.
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Ground clearance : 5.7 in.
Dry weight: 377 lbs. (49-state model), 381.5 lbs. (Calif. model)
Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Color: Metallic Ocean Blue
* Price and specifications subject to change

Features
599cc Four-Cylinder DOHC Engine
- To decrease engine weight and improve heat transfer, the cylinders have linerless, electroplated aluminum bores
- The combustion chamber uses a pentroof/semi-hemi design with a higher compression ratio for more low end torque ad more power throughout the rev range
- The alternator, sump, cylinder head, clutch, and cam chain covers are magnesium to cut weight
Liquid Cooling
- The automatic fan is on the left side of the curved aluminum radiator to save space
- Includes an LCD temperature gauge
- A liquid-cooled oil cooler helps keep the oil cool
Twin Ram Air Induction
- Large ducts for more air pressure, which increases high speed power
- The extended opening increases pressure in the system for excellent volumetric efficiency
Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
- A throttle position sensor (TPS) tells the ignition unit how hard the engine is working so it can set the best ignition timing
Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition with Digital Advance
- A 16-bit central processing unit responds more quickly to engine needs
- Never needs adjustment
- The rotor has 12 projections to update the processor often
Spark Plug-Mounted Ignition Coils
- Four small ignition coils are in the spark plug caps to reduce overall weight, take up less room, and provide strong, consistent spark
Catalyzer
- To meet emissions limits and make even more power at the same time, both California and 49-state models have a pre-catalyzer in the pipe leading to the muffler
- California models also have a catalyzer in the muffler
Fully Adjustable 46mm Cartridge Front Fork
- Large 46mm fork tubes are extra rigid to improve handling performance on the street
Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- Extruded aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid
- Linage ratios offer smooth and linear suspension response
- Upper shock mount is threaded for ride height adjustment
Dual Semi-Floating Front Disc Brakes
- The six-piston opposed front brake calipers have differential size pistons and aggressive pad material for excellent feel and bite
- 300mm discus are 5mm thick to stand up to extreme use
220mm Rear Disc Brake
- Small overall diameter saves weight
- Lightweight, single-piston caliper produces quick, sure stops
Lightweight Aluminum Perimeter Frame
- Short wheelbase and steep head angle produce quick, responsive handling
- Rigid design assures good handling and durability
Electronic Instrumentation
- The speedometer includes a coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter, and a clock
- The tachometer incorporates a coolant warning light
Comfortable Riding Position
- The most comfortable Supersport 600 period
- The handlebars are an easy reach, a nice flat seat gives comfort for long rides and wide mirrors reveal more than your shoulders
- The fairing and windscreen offer an easy ride with great protection from the elements
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories
- Including tank bra, locks, alarm, bike cover

David88vert
04-17-2005, 05:49 PM
How about a used Ducati Monster? I've been looking at hose a lot lately. It's not too crazy on the power, and no fairings to crack. The smaller ones are good starters and are very flickable.

Brett
04-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I want the farings, I like that look alot, And this Kawasaki is very clean looking, No big stickers on it or anything, Just all body :D

David88vert
04-17-2005, 09:08 PM
How about a Ducati 900SS then? That's the other one I've been looking at. Cheap to get. I had a ZX11 before, killer power, but tranny issues. It's a common Kawi problem.

Brett
04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
I want a 600, Nothing bigger.... I will get myself killed on anything more then that

David88vert
04-18-2005, 06:01 AM
A 900SS has less power and is heavier than the 600 that you are looking at (but not by much).

A used 900ss is MUCH cheaper than the ZZR. And it is a Ducati (easier to win shows with ... see, I know your weak spot .... :-P )

Maintenance would be higher, insurance would be cheaper.

AznTraitor
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
A 900SS has less power and is heavier than the 600 that you are looking at (but not by much).

A used 900ss is MUCH cheaper than the ZZR. And it is a Ducati (easier to win shows with ... see, I know your weak spot .... :-P )

Maintenance would be higher, insurance would be cheaper.

does that duc still run a dry clutch?

to be honest with you, the next three bikes I am seriously looking at is Buell Firebolt, Honda 600RR, and then a used Duc Monster.....I'd like a S4R, but that's too much money...and the S2R's all the reviews just seem to say it's underpowered.

AznTraitor
04-18-2005, 10:43 AM
and brett, I've seen that yamaha over at L'ville honda, not a bad looking bike... but I say you just get a Vespa....they are street legal you know ;)

nothing would confirm your manhood more than you riding around on a vespa with a matching bucket for a helmet.....I'm just sayin.....I just dont have the balls yet.....haha

GIXXERDK
12-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I got my bike 2005 GSXR600 brand new for 7000 OTD

DRFTR
12-05-2006, 10:11 AM

you want the full sportbike look...then don't get a crappy katana or yzf600r...those are bullshit bikes...get a kawi 636...awesome bike, or the new yamaha r6, or even the honda 600rr...the kawi 600rr is a very nice bike as well...i would stay away from the gsxr600...just not a fan of the newer ones since the 2001-2003 body style...but seriously stay away from the junk fake r's...you want either an kawi 636, zx600rr, yamaha r6, honba cbr600rr

ueyedgr8tness
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey brett man i just got my 1st bike this yr i got a 2002 gsxr600 and is very happy with it.i love this bike man i have rode a bunch of other bikes before this 1 of course it has full fairings and looks great i paid 4500 and it had 6700 miles on it.

I say if u can find a used bike for cheap get a gsxr600 are a cbr600.very nice bikes and u can get 1 with low miles for a good price.

RageVelocity
12-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Get an F4i. That's it, ride happy, ride safe.

Princess12
12-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Even though this thread is fairly ancient, let me know if you're still in the market. I work for Kawasaki, so maybe we can work something out.

drmcivicsi
12-07-2006, 01:06 AM
honda cbr 600 f4i all the way =)

fawk_you
12-07-2006, 01:52 AM
my buddy is about to buy a 05 Honda 599, he lives in midtown and wants something comfortable and easy to manuever on surface streets....
http://www.ronnies.com/2004units/honda/2004599.jpg

even though you dont like the look of naked bikes, remeber what you are buying it for.....have you sat or ridden a sport bike? all manufacturers have a different feel, like I hate GSXR's because their tank flares out too much and puts my knees in a awkward position....Yamaha's and Honda's have a slimmer profile and seemed to fit nice, Kawasaki's fit pretty nice too, but I think they have a higher stance...but that might just be me....so be sure to sit on all the manufacturers and see what is the most comfortable and fits you, secondly, go take the MSF course and then ask around and see who will let you take their bike for a little spin around so you can get the feel...of what you like.

right now, I'd love to get a Buell Lightning....those things are sweet, and the guys up in the mtns are tearing the hell out of them!

here is the one I want XB12

and something a little smaller for you XB9
http://vtwinplus.com/March_2004/Photos/9SX_STA01.jpg
:yes: wonderful.

hemi
12-07-2006, 12:44 PM
The exhaust on those bikes is sick!

wheedle
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah... everyone knows you got to have a high hp bike to be fast.....
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/Antritchie/JGP%20Dec%2006/PC037505.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/Antritchie/JGP%20Dec%2006/PC037130.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/Antritchie/JGP%20Dec%2006/Pc036879.jpg