PDA

View Full Version : sub problem and shop advice

onebadgt
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
so i was hopin someone could help me here. i hooked up my system last nite and my sub is catching alot of feedback. i guess it could be a bad ground, or rcas, or the fact that my stock speakers are stock amplified. i wanted to get someone or a shop to check it out and run a 0 ga. power wire instead of the tiny 8ga. i have. can anyone rec. a good shop that will not rip me off.

onebadgt
04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
noone knows a good audio shop?

redgst97
04-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I think American Radio in Cumming, GA is a great place to go.
I am, however, a bit biased, as I work there. :)
678-455-3201

tK FuRy
04-26-2010, 10:59 PM
sounds like a bad ground, the RCAs won't pick up much interference since most are shielded and twisted to minimize it. Where is your ground located?

onebadgt
04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I think American Radio in Cumming, GA is a great place to go.
I am, however, a bit biased, as I work there. :)
678-455-3201

im sure they are good but holy price! they said to wire me 0ga power wire and ground wire would be $75 and the wire would be $150! you can get good 0ga wiring kits for $35-$45 so that would make instalation of 2 wires $175 ouch.

Scott P
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
im sure they are good but holy price! they said to wire me 0ga power wire and ground wire would be $75 and the wire would be $150! you can get good 0ga wiring kits for $35-$45 so that would make instalation of 2 wires $175 ouch.

First you can not get anything resembling a decent 0ga amp kit anywere for under a 100, and most decent 0ga kits are going to be in the 175-200 range for just the wire. And before anyone gets the bright idea to chime in here let me dispel the myths you are basing your suggestions on. Quality wire is about stand count, copper (or silver) purity, agu rating, and pliablity.

This kits you are talking about are low on stand count, effectively making them a 4 ga kit with a thick jacket. Furthermore they use copper clad aluminum (aka CCA) which at best is maybe (and i stress that word) 75% efficient in relation to pure copper (or silver). Factor those 2 things in together and you now have a glorified 6 ga wire in a 0ga costume. But you saved a few bucks. Congratulations. Oh and in the mean time that wire is crap when it comes to pliability ( being that it isn't all that flexible) and thus is a huge pain in the ass to run through a car. At which point, guess what, you saves a few dollars for wire, but your install costs are going to go up.

Furthermore installers are kinda like doctors in a sense. YOu can find a cheap docor that barely made it through med school and can handle diagnosing the common cold; and do so in the name of cheaper medical bills. But to find a doctor that was top of their class and one of the best in the country, is going to cost more, because that kind of knowledge always cost more.

I have seen this complaint around for too long now and bit my tongue, but no more. There are a handful of goodd shops in the atl area and a shitton of hack shops. How do I know this? I have onlly been in this town now for six months and already I am seeing other shops bring me cars they can't do or fix, I get calls on how to install this and that b/c they can't figure it out. And worst of all I have to console their dissatisfied customers when their install goes to crap or the install causes stuff to dies prematurely.

Let me let ya'll in on a little secret: you get what your pay for. Meaning you can go cheap now and be paying for it again soon, or you could just do it right the first time.

Finally I am going to say this about American Radio: John isn;t just anybody when it comes to car audio, the man has more world championships that most of you have had girlfriends, he has built CES demo cars, magazine feteaured cars, amd so many custom fabricated cars that don't get the attention they deserve. And then there is myself: when the postion at American Radio opened up, it wasn't a help wanted sign or an ad in the local paper for an installer. It was a nationwide search. I moved here from memphis where I was handling a top 100 ranked shop's custom projects, doing tech support for sevearl major corporations, and managing the stores day to day operations. I have built show cars for Memphis, JL, Concept, NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, and a litany of actors and musicians. Between the two of us there is pretty much nothing we haven't done, or can't do.

All that was said to say this: does that sound like we are tooting are horn? It should b/c we are. I have no doubt we run the best shop in Forsyth Co, and I would be willing to go toe to toe with any other shop in the greater Atl area. SO the next time you or anyone else complains about how a shop is overpriced, you may want to think twice; b/c quality costs something too. . . . .

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
i wont think twice about it, i agree with 90% of what you said. you do pay for what you get with most shops and i was in no way bad mouthing the shop, im sure they are a great shop and do wonderful work. if i was getting them to build my entire system it may be a different story, but i dont need work that takes someone with super powers, all i need is a new power wire and ground. very simple. and i just cant see paying $225 for that. that is just my opinion though. everyone is entitled to one. again i said not one bad word about the shop i just cant afford that for that .

tscru56
04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
i cant say that i agree with any of that. i have a 2000 ford tuarus wit a memphis audio mojo 15" 1000 watt sub and a sony xplod 1200 watt amp and i spent $30 on a 8 gage wiring kit from walmart and i have one of the hardest hitting systems around lilburn. i have had zero problems with it. one suggestion i have to get rid of feedback is to run the amp REM and +12V wires down one side of the car and the rca wires down the other side of the car.

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
thanks for the advice, i got an appt with a local shop, hes gonna run me 0ga. power wire and a new ground as well for $50

AV8ter
04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Not trying to start any wars here but if you want to gripe this much about spending the cash to get it done right, then do it yourself correctly, or make some money so you can afford to have someone do it correctly...

CHADbee
04-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Not trying to start any wars here but if you want to gripe this much about spending the cash to get it done right, then do it yourself correctly, or make some money so you can afford to have someone do it correctly...

he has your box in that thing ;)

sina518
04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Girlfriends are more beneficial. Just sayin

AV8ter
04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
he has your box in that thing ;)

Idk why but it took me about ten time reading that to understand what you meant lol.

Good shit. I was wondering why you didn't have it listed in your sig anymore...

CHADbee
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Idk why but it took me about ten time reading that to understand what you meant lol.

Good shit. I was wondering why you didn't have it listed in your sig anymore...

hahhhaaaa....dude i had it up for sale, but i really wasnt pushing it, if it sold it sold. he bought the box and TSS though.

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 05:32 PM
ya annd i have it hooked up on a baby amp with shitty wire waiting on my big amp to get here and the thing still pounds

AV8ter
04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
What amp you have it hooked up on now and what amp are you putting on it? Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 32 if I remember correctly so it shouldn't take much to get the sub moving.

How does it fit in that mustang trunk lol?

CHADbee
04-28-2010, 06:11 PM
What amp you have it hooked up on now and what amp are you putting on it? Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 32 if I remember correctly so it shouldn't take much to get the sub moving.

How does it fit in that mustang trunk lol?

whatever he has its gonna be better than what i was powering it with lol

he hasnt had that mustang in years LOL its in a 4 door tacoma

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
right now ive got this shitty little alphasonic or something on it, but i have a kicker 1500.1 that im bout to hook up to it

AV8ter
04-28-2010, 06:36 PM
OMG! Be careful man. Keep an eye/ear on that sub to make sure you're not overdoing it. If I was home I'd lend you a hand. Well... I will be 2 weeks from now. I am in Alpharetta(when not at school) and I'll lend you a hand if you hop over.

Shit is going to be a riot on 1200-1500. You'll benefit from a second batt for sure...

CHADbee
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
OMG! Be careful man. Keep an eye/ear on that sub to make sure you're not overdoing it. If I was home I'd lend you a hand. Well... I will be 2 weeks from now. I am in Alpharetta(when not at school) and I'll lend you a hand if you hop over.

Shit is going to be a riot on 1200-1500. You'll benefit from a second batt for sure...

from what JD told me the TSS is safe on 1.5K :dunno:

and yeah i really wanna hear it on some real power.

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
yea ill def keep it on the safe side if anything, i def dont wanna lose a sub first thing. but of course i appreciate the helping hand. i might just take you up on that or at least let you and chad see what you think about it. i know right now on deep notes its on the edge of hurting in my small cab. i cant wait till i hafta turn it down lol

AV8ter
04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
from what JD told me the TSS is safe on 1.5K :dunno:

and yeah i really wanna hear it on some real power.

I think the reccomended box is 2.0 cubes for the tss 12, in which case the box is 25% bigger then what they reccomend. Chance is it will be fine but It is always a good idea to keep an eye on thing when you got that much power going to anything.

In a tiny toyota cab.. It is going to be crazy.

AV8ter
04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
yea ill def keep it on the safe side if anything, i def dont wanna lose a sub first thing. but of course i appreciate the helping hand. i might just take you up on that or at least let you and chad see what you think about it. i know right now on deep notes its on the edge of hurting in my small cab. i cant wait till i hafta turn it down lol

Where do you live?

Did you take out the back seat or just set it on top of it?

I'll throw that junk in there for you man.

Kevin

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
for the moment i have it sitting on the seat. when i get the money ill probably do a cab cut through

onebadgt
04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
and i live in ellijay ga about 1 hr north of atl