PDA

View Full Version : ATTEN: BB6 PRELUDE OWNERS AND H22A OWNERS

BB6Luder
04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
HEY,

SO I GOT A QUESTION ABOUT A HYDRAULIC TIMING BELT TENSIONER. I GOT A H22A SWAP IN A 98 PRELUDE AND THE TIMING BELT IS MAKING SOME WHINING NOISES(SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS A SUPERCHARGER). I AM ABOUT TO REPLACE THE TENSIONER AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD PUT IN A HYDRAULIC OR CONVERT TO MANUAL TIMING BELT TENSIONER? DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE? NEED SOME INFO ON IT.

THANKS IN ADVANCE IA PEOPLE!

yellow ek
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
If you have an h22a, shouldn't it have a manual tensioner already? To me it sounds like it does and someone has over tightened it. If this is the case you should be able to adjust it and not worry about a new tensioner. You can also have a balance shaft belt to tight and it will whine also.

BB6Luder
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I really don't know. My mechanic is telling me that it has a hydraulic tensioner. He's telling me that the older preludes(4th gen) has the manual ones and that Honda put in a hydraulic one for the 5th gen prelude. When the swap was done, a new timing belt was put in and my mechanic tells me that he tightened it to the right specification.

yellow ek
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
That's a tough call because most people, when questioned, will say that they did it right. It could still be the balance shaft belt, it has a manual tensioner no matter what generation h22. If you know how to do it yourself, I would inspect it and adjust the one you have before buying a new tensioner.

Drummerboy
04-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I know the H23 has whatever the opposite of the h22 is. Also, if it's the balance shaft belt, get an elimination kit.

BB6Luder
04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I would inspect it myself if i only knew how. I don't know why my mechanic didn't mention about any of this when he was doing the swap and changing the timing belt. When i asked him about it, he said that it looked OK so there was no reason to change anything at that time. He's charging me about $350 for labor plus whatever the price of the parts are. Is that reasonable? Would you guys recommend any shops who really know this kind of stuff? (THANKS IN ADVANCE IA PEOPLE!!!)

yellow ek
04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Not being a jerk, but if you don't know how to inspect it, pay someone to. I believe that the book calls for 4.4 hours for replacement, in that case he is charging you $80 an hour. If you think he is worth $80 an hour take it to him. Any performance shop should be able to take care of you if you would rather go that route. I'm not from the Atlanta area but have dealt with Mainstream and Forged Performance and have been happy with both.

Starrfire
04-29-2010, 01:24 AM
h23=manual tensioner
h22= hydraulic tensioner

The setup for the manual tensioner setup is about $125.

Formally...
04-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Sounds like one of two things. Like they said already the belt is too tight. Since it has a manual tens this should not happen unless they got the balance shaft belt to tight. As for the balance shaft elim kit, it is very very difficult to do with the motor in the car so I wouldn't suggest it. Second the water pump could be going bad. They will make the same noise. Finally, the price is fair. Good luck.

BB6Luder
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Yea, I know the water pump is not it because its brand new. But im going toward converting it to a manual tens so i dont have the same problem later on, hopefully.

Crazy Asian
04-29-2010, 02:50 PM
what color is the prelude mind me asking?

HatchHero
04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
H22 never came with a manual tensioner only h23 non vtec did. sound like the timing belt is super tight to make a noise like that

BB6Luder
04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree with you HatchHero but my mechanic seems to disagree on the timing belt being too tight.

HatchHero
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
hmmm. take a look at it. it should have a little slack not alot tho