PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Turbo options?

Lusos
04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello all. I don not post much on this forum, however, thanks to a recently acquired job and scholarship I have the money to start back on my Isuzu project car. As most of you are not familiar with Isuzu engines, I am using the 4xE1 block with a fairly "built" setup. For a quick overview I have a bottom end strong enough to hold teh boosts with 80mm, 9.5:1 pistons and a fairly stout ported DOHC head with a set of 100lb TWI valve springs and a set of Outback Exhaust .416 lift/ 225 duration camshafts. A guy with a setup similar to mine was putting down 411whp at 30psi on some old Turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid.

Anyways, I have had my mind set on a Garrett GT3071R turbocharger, however, due to the cost I would like to find other options. I'm willing to settle for something slightly used, but I don't want anything off of an old diesel. I have a good $800-$1200 price range and I'm looking for a turbo that will give me enough ass to support 400whp.

Any suggestions from IA? I'm not too familiar with Borg-Warner or Bullseye, but I have heard good things. My manifold is flanged for a t3 inlet and a 38mm wastegate, however, it should be quite easy to fab up an adapter to fit the needs of any turbo which I may buy. What does Import Atlanta think?

crashtke
04-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Well, my partner Andy Mullins and I have designed several turbo kits around the Borg Warner/Bullseye turbos now. I guess the first thing you really need to know is what your power goals are and what spool up goals are. The Bullseye turbos are the ones I have used. EXCELLENT customer service and they really stand behind their turbos. They use Borg Warner/Airwerks box units and components for their turbos.

Some of them (the cheaper ones) are just Borg Warner box units. The one that sounds like it would fit your needs is the S256. You can get a box unit for around $950 brand new. They have them in a couple different AR sizes, a couple different turbine housing options. We have made 400 at the wheels on these with zero issues and around 22 psi on a Subaru motor. If you decide later that you want to upgrade, you can send it back to Bullseye and they can upgrade to the S259 compressor housing and Billet wheel!! The S259 is good up to around 550-600 at the wheels.

Characteristics of the Bullseye Power turbos from my experience:
-Fast spool up
-Stable boost
-More power than similarly sized Garrets after around 20 psi
-Excellent response between shifts
-Cheap to rebuild
-easier to upgrade in the future
-custom wheels
-stainless turbine housing options

If it takes 30 psi on one of these to make 400 hp, you are doing something wrong or you have a 1.0 liter motor, lol.

Lusos
04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Cool man. I have heard good things about Borg Warner, but I am very unfamiliar with their sizing and nomenclature... Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking around.

EDIT: Also, do they make V-band housings with the Borg-Warner turbines? If not, I'm sure I could have an adapter fabbed up.

crashtke
04-18-2010, 07:42 AM
They make vband downpipes, the up is still 4 bolt T3 or T4 or T6 (depending on turbo size). They do have new stainless 1.0 AR vband in and out turbine housings coming in the next month or so. This is Bullseye. They make some of their own housings right here in the states.