PDA

View Full Version : Misc about to get a Chow/Lab mix pupy...

JITB
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
And ive always heard that chows arent the most friendliest dogs at time. i have had experiences with it myself, and my uncles chow, tha ti could never pet because it was so mean. But i know its all in how they are brought up. any pet folks got any advice? Im gonna be getting him in a few months when the litter is born from a friend. i have a big backyard to run around etc.. so he will prob be an outside dog for the most part.

Kevykev
04-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Give it a good home. Raise him with love man.

Outside dog = no love after the first 1-2 months.

JITB
04-16-2010, 11:17 PM
i dont want that safe advise!!! im outside all the time, but im sure it will be in the yard for the most part whenit gets older. but as a puppy it will be inside. i just hear that chows are tempermental dogs, and are a handful

Kevykev
04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
hmmm OK

Something's tellin' me "He ain't ready"

Are you? Are you ready for a handful? Cause that cuteness stuff doesn't cut it. "He destroyed my USB cable, but he's cute so I'll love on him" NO!!!

Gotta keep it up on it shots, heartworm pills (monthly). He or she will F things up form time to time (Shoes and other personal belongings)

If you're gonna get it, be READY...don't bitch out and give it away if you can't handle it!

YOU WILL HAVE TO TRAIN THIS DOG... OR ELSE IT'LL Be a Liability potentially FKIN YOUR LIFE and fitment plans UP!!!!

HOE!

JITB
04-16-2010, 11:46 PM
i had a lab years ago, in junior high. but i just dont want this mean ass chow in the house. That i have to lock up when people come over.

tnomud
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I am not one of those "Pits/Rotts/Chows"are nothing but evil" kinda guys, but I have seen 2 very well raised chows snap for absolutely no reason 5-10 years after ownership. Personally, I think they are cool, but I have seen unpredictable ones. They never snap on you either, it's always the neighbors kid or someone that will sue you or punch you.

just my .02

JITB
04-17-2010, 01:27 AM
I am not one of those "Pits/Rotts/Chows"are nothing but evil" kinda guys, but I have seen 2 very well raised chows snap for absolutely no reason 5-10 years after ownership. Personally, I think they are cool, but I have seen unpredictable ones. They never snap on you either, it's always the neighbors kid or someone that will sue you or punch you.

just my .02

yea thats what iv ebeen reading. they are very protective and usually show aggresion towards strangers. they say keep the dog social, helps it. but being a mix breed hopefully ill get the chow look but the lab attitude.

Kevykev
04-17-2010, 06:22 AM
I do not see this dog in your future.

[/thread]? or no?

JITB
04-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I do not see this dog in your future.

[/thread]? or no?

lol im gonna still get him or her, im just gonna make sure he or she gets socialized really well.

Kevykev
04-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a Doberman, They can chill one day or two.

yellowzx
04-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I used to have a lab/chow mix and that dog was awesome. He was an outside dog. We also had two other dogs in the yard. As long as you play with it and love it you should be fine. I don't even think he tore stuff up in the yard.

japan4racing
04-18-2010, 01:37 AM
i have a lab/chow mix right now. he is pretty cool but has mostly lab in him. he chews everything. very destructive...i have 2 holes in my wall in the kitchen from my dog, lots of holes in the back yard, the conduit with the power lines for my a/c unit outside has been chewed up, the dining room chairs are destroyed, the door frame heading out side is destroyed, he ate a whole loaf of bread one time, and he pissed on my couch......other than that he is an awesome dog. looks like a chocolate lab except he has a curved tail like a chow and he is stalky like a chow. right now he is 8 months old and weighs about 50lbs. when i got him he was 5 lbs and was dumped with his borther and sister. i gave his brother to a co worker and he ate the guys harley keys, the tire off his motor cycle, a hole through the nitchen wall to the back porch, and all of his door frames are destroyed.....be prepared to do alot of repairs.....labs are hell for the first 2-3 years, chows can be agressive but if raised right can be babies....raise him right and make it a couple years and you will have a hell of a dog!

JITB
04-18-2010, 01:53 AM
i have a lab/chow mix right now. he is pretty cool but has mostly lab in him. he chews everything. very destructive...i have 2 holes in my wall in the kitchen from my dog, lots of holes in the back yard, the conduit with the power lines for my a/c unit outside has been chewed up, the dining room chairs are destroyed, the door frame heading out side is destroyed, he ate a whole loaf of bread one time, and he pissed on my couch......other than that he is an awesome dog. looks like a chocolate lab except he has a curved tail like a chow and he is stalky like a chow. right now he is 8 months old and weighs about 50lbs. when i got him he was 5 lbs and was dumped with his borther and sister. i gave his brother to a co worker and he ate the guys harley keys, the tire off his motor cycle, a hole through the nitchen wall to the back porch, and all of his door frames are destroyed.....be prepared to do alot of repairs.....labs are hell for the first 2-3 years, chows can be agressive but if raised right can be babies....raise him right and make it a couple years and you will have a hell of a dog!

my friend had a lab and he ate everything too..lol but was a loving dog, and loved to play. thanks for the advice. does your look like a chow in the face or a lab? the chow/labs with chow faces look soo mean!

japan4racing
04-18-2010, 01:59 AM
mine looks like a chocolate lab......the only chow features he has are the curled tail and he is stalky....his brother and sister had the black markings on the gums and tounge. i think at 8 months he is as tall as he will get.....he has the height of a chow, and tail of a chow, the rest is chocolate lab all the way. i will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Miss.Kayla
04-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I have a pit (full blooded) and hes a pussy. he follows me everywhere and is afraid of water, its those little dogs you gotta worry about. I have a little terrier mix and shes mean!
but i got lucky with my 2nd one, he never chewed up anything, my little one however... oh lord. she destroyed my couch, she was a thief and stole anything she could find socks and
shoes and cords, even got my Ethernet cable . but i love them both and i think no matter what you should get a best friend. i wouldnt trade mine for the world.. :) Good luck

Nemesis
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
You can borrow my dog Nemo for a few days!

Kourt
04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
I have a chow/lab mix and he is a good dog. He's an outside dog and sadly doesnt get enough attention because I'm never home. He is a great dog though.. hard headed as hell but he's really sweet. My 5 y/o sister plays with him and hes gentle with her. I think its all about how the dog is raised and making sure people don't torment and aggrivate the dog!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs276.snc3/27938_439374362221_630402221_5749751_1570025_n.jpg

5speed
04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
And ive always heard that chows arent the most friendliest dogs at time. i have had experiences with it myself, and my uncles chow, tha ti could never pet because it was so mean. But i know its all in how they are brought up. any pet folks got any advice? Im gonna be getting him in a few months when the litter is born from a friend. i have a big backyard to run around etc.. so he will prob be an outside dog for the most part.

I used to have a chow/pit mix and she was really sweet towards all humans She would bark but would let you come up to her and show that you werent a threat. They usually need the owner to go up to the guest and show them that they are ok. As for other animals she was protective, but you would have to do the same as with humans. The best thing to do is to shake their hand or give them a hug, or pet them if it is an animal.