PDA

View Full Version : EF Sedan bogs & dies

Stuntman G
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I will just make this as straight-forward as possible to prevent any confusion and make for as easy a diagnosis as possible.
--'90 Bone stock EF sedan, D15, 5-speed--
-Yesterday, going down 92 on the way to work, every time I would come to a stop(red lights, i.e.) it would drop down to around 5-600 rpm, but would come back if I patted the gas and would continue running smoothly as long as it was moving
-It got progressively worse with every stop, dropping more and more rpms and becoming harder and harder to bring back
-As I stopped in the turn lane to make a left-hand turn, it bogged completely down (tach was on zero but engine was barely chugging along), and unable to bring it back by patting the gas, I turned the engine off
-I tried to restart the engine, and it just turned and turned but would not start.
-I (along with a pair of VERY helpful and friendly hispanic painters) pushed it into a near parking lot
-Said "friendly mexicans" happened to have some gas on them, so we put a little in the car (even though it was reading almost a quarter of a tank)
-putting gas in it made no difference
-I called a friend to come get me with a trailer
-about 20 minutes after I called him, I tried to start the car
-with a bit of effort, it eventually started and idled fine.
-I cut it back off, and then 10 minutes later the trailer arrived.
-it started fine, and I drove it onto the trailer. upon arrival at the house, I drove it off the trailer and around to the back yard.
-Believing it to be a faulty fuel filter, I went and got one and slapped it on
-It ran fine for the rest of the night, going a total of at least 20 miles
- I started it this morning to go to school, and it ran for about 45 seconds before dying in my driveway. same scenario as yesterday.
- Upon trying to start it just now (6 hours later) it just turns and turns and turns but will not start.

My first instinct(fuel filter) was apparently wrong. Now I am leaning towards a clogged cat, and someone also suggested a bad tps. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.