PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Benders?

dtmcnamara
11-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Ok Ihave been looking for a good pipe bender for a whil now. I want a mandrel bender, BUT i dont have $28,000 to spend on it. I was wondering if anyone knew a thing or two aobut pipe benders. I want a bender that will keep the shape off the pipe so I can do some exhaust work, also I want something that will bend up to 4 inch pipe and bend pipe in really tight angles. Anyone know what other bender I could get? I have seen a few manual benders, but I dont know if they will keep their shap after they bend? Please help me out. Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread, thought the business shops could help me out. THANKS

Annihilation
11-04-2005, 11:21 AM
u could do it old skool adn fill the pipe with sand and weld the ends closed and then bend the pipes to get teh mandrel bent look

HiPSI
11-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Ok Ihave been looking for a good pipe bender for a whil now. I want a mandrel bender, BUT i dont have $28,000 to spend on it. I was wondering if anyone knew a thing or two aobut pipe benders. I want a bender that will keep the shape off the pipe so I can do some exhaust work, also I want something that will bend up to 4 inch pipe and bend pipe in really tight angles. Anyone know what other bender I could get? I have seen a few manual benders, but I dont know if they will keep their shap after they bend? Please help me out. Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread, thought the business shops could help me out. THANKS

the answer to your question is NO. if there were cheaper ways to do the same basic thing don't you think everyone would be using it? you can crush bend it with a cheap hydraulic bender and a die, or pony up the dough for a mandrel machine to get mandrel bent pipes.

Ex_Vtec_Girl
11-04-2005, 07:44 PM
a wise man once told me that pipes are what plumbers work with...tubing is what is used for rollcages, etc. :D

dtmcnamara
11-05-2005, 06:20 AM
so what exactly does a mandrel bender do that a manual hydrolic bender not do? How does it keep the shape of the "tubing"

HiPSI
11-05-2005, 11:04 AM
so what exactly does a mandrel bender do that a manual hydrolic bender not do? How does it keep the shape of the "tubing"

it has a sort of flexible die (the "mandrel") that slides inside the pipe that is the same as the ID of the pipe. as you bend the pipe in a standard bender, the inner part of the bend is able to bunch up (aka, crush bending due to the kinks it makes) because the material push inward. this gives you either the "ribs" you see on auto parts store exhaust tubing, or the highly narrowed portion through the bend on the better non-mandrel benders. the mandrel keeps the ID of the pipe constant by bracing the walls from crushing inward.

dtmcnamara
11-05-2005, 02:30 PM
what are some good places to look for benders...also I was looking a this bender, would this work?

imbosile
11-05-2005, 02:33 PM
well let me know when you get a bender, because i need to get someone to make my exhaust for me ASAP....

dtmcnamara
11-05-2005, 02:35 PM
http://www.bii1.com/benders_b1bhttp://www.bii1.com/benders_b1b.htm.htm

dtmcnamara
11-05-2005, 02:37 PM
well let me know when you get a bender, because i need to get someone to make my exhaust for me ASAP....

Might be some time from now. I have to pay off my computer, then get a mig/tig welder and a stick welder. THEN i can look for a pipe bender....I will post up when I finally get one. Just need help getting the right one. Why send 10-20K on something if its not the right thing

rbwdriven
11-14-2005, 06:44 PM
http://www.wintonmachine.com/

small to large scale, not sure on pricing. a buddy of mine use to work there you might be able to get a used machine for cheap.

dtmcnamara
11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
thanks for the info

dtmcnamara
11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
i wish they had benders for 3-4 inch pipe, I just cant find any that are affordable...under $15,000

Tracy
11-14-2005, 07:10 PM
i wish they had benders for 3-4 inch pipe, I just cant find any that are affordable...under $15,000

This is why we don't have one. Looked into getting one on mant occasions....just a lot to come out of pocket for :)

dtmcnamara
11-14-2005, 07:28 PM
BUUUUUTTT.....its worth it. I love making everything from scratch, 20K might be worth it, if I had a shop

Tracy
11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
BUUUUUTTT.....its worth it. I love making everything from scratch, 20K might be worth it, if I had a shop

defiantely worth it if you can afford it. but so is a tire machine, a dyno, lifts, building, machining equiptment, welders...all of that shit is worth it. Just hard to have it all or even one of them without the other.