PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Importing cars

KodyH
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Has anyone done this? My pa found a site (http://www.japan-partner.com/) and wanted to see how difficult it was before he did this. What all is required on our side? Registration issues?

Me86Rob
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Has anyone done this? My pa found a site (http://www.japan-partner.com/) and wanted to see how difficult it was before he did this. What all is required on our side? Registration issues?

Well, I don't think you will have the mental capacity to register an imported car here, if you cant even use the search function.

Me86Rob
04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
http://tinyurl.com/yygh5lq

KodyH
04-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh shit, sorry. I forgot you can't get a reasonable answer on IA. Thanks for pulling the dildo out of your ass long enough to provide me a link.

Me86Rob
04-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh shit, sorry. I forgot you can't get a reasonable answer on IA. Thanks for pulling the dildo out of your ass long enough to provide me a link.

¿Devrdad? GOOGLING YOUR FUCKING QUESTION FOR YOU AND POSTING A LINK TO THE ANSWERS ISNT REASONABLE? Boy, the best part of you ran down your mommas leg

KodyH
04-11-2010, 08:14 PM
¿Devrdad? GOOGLING YOUR FUCKING QUESTION FOR YOU AND POSTING A LINK TO THE ANSWERS ISNT REASONABLE? Boy, the best part of you ran down your mommas leg

Since when is Google more reasonable than personal experience?

Me86Rob
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Because you KNOW you will get a 100% correct answer from google :thinking:

KodyH
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Because you KNOW you will get a 100% correct answer from google :thinking:

Wow.... in the three years older than me you've gained so much wisdom. Google is the know all now huh? Honestly, I'd trust someone that has actually imported a car over some random ass site. Thanks for trying, now back to the original purpose of the thread..

Has anyone on here imported a car from Japan?

RL...
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow.... in the three years older than me you've gained so much wisdom. Google is the know all now huh? Honestly, I'd trust someone that has actually imported a car over some random ass site. Thanks for trying, now back to the original purpose of the thread..

Has anyone on here imported a car from Japan?

I imported my maxima from oppama, japan and is the only 5th generation jdm right hand drive maxima in this country. It's not hard, just requires patience. Find an importer like that site, pay them money, and wait for your car to arrive! Simple as that. Regardless of what you hear you do not need to change any emission or safety features of a vehicle you import from japan under the FATF act that was passed in 08.

Elbow
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
It depends, a friend brought a Skyline here with very little issues and another brought a Silvia and nobody said anything about it.

I've known others and have yet to know anyone PERSONALLY have an issue but I've heard stories. What are you wanting? That also sometimes matters.

KodyH
04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I imported my maxima from oppama, japan and is the only 5th generation jdm right hand drive maxima in this country. It's not hard, just requires patience. Find an importer like that site, pay them money, and wait for your car to arrive! Simple as that. Regardless of what you hear you do not need to change any emission or safety features of a vehicle you import from japan under the FATF act that was passed in 08.

Who did you use as the importer? Technically that site is an exporter :p

Also what is the FATF act?

KodyH
04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
It depends, a friend brought a Skyline here with very little issues and another brought a Silvia and nobody said anything about it.

I've known others and have yet to know anyone PERSONALLY have an issue but I've heard stories. What are you wanting? That also sometimes matters.

1995 Evo III GSR

Elbow
04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Nissantuner is fucking with you. That sounds like the Fast and the Furious act or something.

An Evo won't be that hard. A friend here had a Skyline, no issues at all, we have no emissions in Athens or anything, car is registered and insured as a Nissan Skyline.

KodyH
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Nissantuner is fucking with you. That sounds like the Fast and the Furious act or something.

An Evo won't be that hard. A friend here had a Skyline, no issues at all, we have no emissions in Athens or anything, car is registered and insured as a Nissan Skyline.

Yeah I don't have emission either. What about safety measures? I've heard about needing different glass and such :/

Elbow
04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah I don't have emission either. What about safety measures? I've heard about needing different glass and such :/

There are different safety requirements I think but the people I know didn't have to go through all of that, this is state registered though it could be different for federal I think. Not sure of the differences/limitations.

KodyH
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
There are different safety requirements I think but the people I know didn't have to go through all of that, this is state registered though it could be different for federal I think. Not sure of the differences/limitations.

Ahh ok. Well thanks.

fivex684
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Doing it illegally (state legal) is a cake walk plus Progressive will insure anything under the sun. Doing it legally (federal) can be a pain in the ass.
http://www.importajapcar.com/?hop=tyndago
http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-legalize-nissan-skyline-gt-r-for.html
http://www.gnkauto.com/

Vteckidd
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
There's a huge sticky I wrote read it. Importing it is not hard, driving it legally is almost impossible depending on what car it is

Total_Blender
04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Doing it illegally (state legal) is a cake walk plus Progressive will insure anything under the sun]

They wouldn't insure my 1962 Ford. I had to switch to Geico.

KodyH
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
There's a huge sticky I wrote read it. Importing it is not hard, driving it legally is almost impossible depending on what car it is

My apologies I completely missed that... :thinking:
Will do.

Elbow
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
A guy in Athens drives an entirely illegal Elise on the street imported from England and has yet to be pulled over. lol

Glides
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Kidd is right.

Importing the car is the easy part, break the motor and trans from the body of the car and ship them seperately is the way most do it. Don't ship it open deck or it's for sure getting seized. Registering it legally is the not so easy part. Specially now since alot more people are familiar with the Skylines and what not. Skylines are going to be the hardest. More obscure cars like the Soarer, Pulsar, Sylvia etc etc are going to be a bit easier to get past the officer inspecting it.

Any car that has an American version, IE Silvia/240sx and now the Evo are going to be easier. Either way, you are going to run the risk of losing your money possibly if some police officer decides to get inquisitive.

OnURleft
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
It's easy if you have connections and money

KodyH
04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Kidd is right.

Importing the car is the easy part, break the motor and trans from the body of the car and ship them seperately is the way most do it. Don't ship it open deck or it's for sure getting seized. Registering it legally is the not so easy part. Specially now since alot more people are familiar with the Skylines and what not. Skylines are going to be the hardest. More obscure cars like the Soarer, Pulsar, Sylvia etc etc are going to be a bit easier to get past the officer inspecting it.

Any car that has an American version, IE Silvia/240sx and now the Evo are going to be easier. Either way, you are going to run the risk of losing your money possibly if some police officer decides to get inquisitive.

Understood, but it is legal in some way correct? I noticed on...I believe it was the DOT website, that they have different regulations for the vehicle if it is being used as a race car.

Elbow
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Understood, but it is legal in some way correct? I noticed on...I believe it was the DOT website, that they have different regulations for the vehicle if it is being used as a race car.

If it's a race car there will be no issues, at least at a GA port. I've personally been and seen it done, however the car will not be able to be street legal.

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM
I dont give a shit what DOT says if you import a car in RUNNING CONDITION it WILL BE SEIZED AND CRUSHED/EXPORTED UNLESS Its over 25 years old

Elbow
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I dont give a shit what DOT says if you import a car in RUNNING CONDITION it WILL BE SEIZED AND CRUSHED/EXPORTED UNLESS Its over 25 years old

Not if it's a race car.

Krappy
04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
buy a usdm car not worth the hassle... trust me I've had an s15 and r33

KodyH
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
If it's a race car there will be no issues, at least at a GA port. I've personally been and seen it done, however the car will not be able to be street legal.

I was almost certain this much is true, because of below picture.

For racing purposes. His car is in America, and is true JDM. Not trying to start shit, just wondering how some people do have legal imported cars, yet I'm told you can't. Also, how would you know better than the DOT?
http://www.formulad.com/IMAGES/DRIVER_BANNERS/Ryuji-Miki.jpg

buy a usdm car not worth the hassle... trust me I've had an s15 and r33

If I wanted a USDM car, I would have posted that in the original thread.

TougeGTR-33
04-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I have some friends that work at NAD auto in atlanta. and they said just simply import the car and get the dereregistration papers and they have a friend who does ALL their imported cars titles. and they have many. But he said just go to them and give them the title fees and all the fees to do it and they will have it done in a week no questions asked. Ill call my friend bay and ask him the name of the company so i can send you their way. Im about to use them as soon as my Skyline gets here, which should be in the next week or so. But ill let you know the name of the company. So simply import the car to the Savannah port and trailer it home get the dereg papers and take the papers to them. but ill go through with it first and post up everything I did.

KodyH
04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I have some friends that work at NAD auto in atlanta. and they said just simply import the car and get the dereregistration papers and they have a friend who does ALL their imported cars titles. and they have many. But he said just go to them and give them the title fees and all the fees to do it and they will have it done in a week no questions asked. Ill call my friend bay and ask him the name of the company so i can send you their way. Im about to use them as soon as my Skyline gets here, which should be in the next week or so. But ill let you know the name of the company. So simply import the car to the Savannah port and trailer it home get the dereg papers and take the papers to them. but ill go through with it first and post up everything I did.

Sweet. +reps when I can!

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
you guys are smoking crack.

NADauto (ive know Bay for 7 years) does it illegally. They import so many containers of motors that Customs doesnt search their containers.

you realize only 30% of all containers get searched right? Of those 30% they go after first timers and people that dont have connections with Customs people.

If you import a car RUNNING AND DRIVING IT WILL BE SEIZED IF CUSTOMS FINDS IT. Im not saying its not possible to get one through if you know the right people or you dont get flagged. BUT IF CUSTOMS LOOKS AT YOUR CONTAINER AND THERE IS A RUNNING RHD CAR IN THERE THAT IS NOT NHTSA COMPLIANT IT IS SEIZED AND SENT BACK OR DESTROYED.

Go read the fucking rules, it says in plain black and white that all cars must be in NON RUNNING CONDITION and taken apart UNLESS its 25 years old.

Dont you think if all you had to do is say "hey man its a race car" that EVERY CAR WOULD BE IMPORTED AS SUCH? you ARENT smarter than customs officials and its ultimately THEIR call.

I am willing to bet
1) The FD above was imported as a BODY then reassembled
or
2) He got lucky an knew someone and the car got through

I dont know why people continue to debate this subject when the laws are right in your face and i made a huge thread about it.

JDM CARS ARE ILLEGAL unless they are 25 years or older or a 1996 R33 Nissan SKyline GTR

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
here is the clause in IMPORTING RACE CARS

You may import an auto or motorcycle duty free along with its usual equipment for a temporary stay to take part in a race or other specific contest. The EPA must issue prior written approval that grants only racing vehicles the EPA deems non-capable of practical highway or safe use.

If the contest is not for a money prize, a vehicle may be granted a 90 day entry without formal bond if the Customs officer is confident about the importer’s good faith and identity. The vehicle may be forfeited if a bond is a bond is not given or it is not exported within 90 days of its importation. DOT must issue prior written approval.

Vehicles may be temporarily imported for racing, demonstration or testing purposes. Vehicles may also be permanently imported for display or show. DOT written approval must be obtained prior to the vehicle being exported from a foreign country to the United States.

Car importing information for a display or show vehicle is available at the DOT NHTSA Importing Cars web site. A display or show vehicle that is permanently imported must still comply with all USA emission requirements and be imported through an ICI authorized by the EPA. ICI work must be finished before the EPA will allow a vehicle's release to its owner.

As someone that imports things regularly, i will tell you right now if its your first time, they will deny you. You must have a long track record and they must trust you. So good luck but i dont see it happeneing

KodyH
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
you guys are smoking crack.

NADauto (ive know Bay for 7 years) does it illegally. They import so many containers of motors that Customs doesnt search their containers.

you realize only 30% of all containers get searched right? Of those 30% they go after first timers and people that dont have connections with Customs people.

If you import a car RUNNING AND DRIVING IT WILL BE SEIZED IF CUSTOMS FINDS IT. Im not saying its not possible to get one through if you know the right people or you dont get flagged. BUT IF CUSTOMS LOOKS AT YOUR CONTAINER AND THERE IS A RUNNING RHD CAR IN THERE THAT IS NOT NHTSA COMPLIANT IT IS SEIZED AND SENT BACK OR DESTROYED.

Go read the fucking rules, it says in plain black and white that all cars must be in NON RUNNING CONDITION and taken apart UNLESS its 25 years old.

Dont you think if all you had to do is say "hey man its a race car" that EVERY CAR WOULD BE IMPORTED AS SUCH? you ARENT smarter than customs officials and its ultimately THEIR call.

I am willing to bet
1) The FD above was imported as a BODY then reassembled
or
2) He got lucky an knew someone and the car got through

I dont know why people continue to debate this subject when the laws are right in your face and i made a huge thread about it.

JDM CARS ARE ILLEGAL unless they are 25 years or older or a 1996 R33 Nissan SKyline GTR

Where are these laws posted though? I saw your thread, I read it. You still haven't answered my previous question, how do you know more than the DOT? Thank you for your assistance, but once yourself and Glides got my pointed in a general direction I found out your information is not 100% sound. There are ways to do this.

/thread

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Where are these laws posted though? I saw your thread, I read it. You still haven't answered my previous question, how do you know more than the DOT? Thank you for your assistance, but once yourself and Glides got my pointed in a general direction I found out your information is not 100% sound. There are ways to do this.

/thread

I import 10-15 containers a month, ive owned 3 Silvia Ks, 1 180SX and friends with people that import cars in GA (rupertaker, etc)

I also know A LOT of the engine importers ,Like Nadauto.com and Hmotorsonline owner Steve. I also know the law.

Go look it up that is all take from the NHTSA importing cars section on their website. Im not trying to be a dick, yes there are ways to do it, but dont think its easy an you wont get caught. This importing cars thing is the biggest misconception about what is allowed and not allowed ive ever seen.

the only way to LEGALLY import a car is engine outside of BODY for purposes of selling as PARTS. There is NO WAY TO LEGALLY IMPORT A RUNNING CAR AND LET IT STAY HERE OR DRIVE IT ON THE ROADS LEGALLY UNLESS ITS 25 YEARS OLD OR MORE OR A 1996 NISSAN SKYLINE GTR (WHICH IRONICALLY IS JUST BULLSHIT BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL TO)

So, no, there is no way to do it LEGALLY. Even "race cars" have to be exported after a certain time has passed.

The DOT does not tell you if you car is legal to clear CUSTOMs or not. Customs officials tell you that. the DOT deals with cars already here. If you happen to get a car through customs, the DOT will still deny it as it wont be NHTSA crash certified or OBD compliant. There rules are SUPERCEDED by FEDERAL LAW NHTSA and Customs Officials.

Elbow
04-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm speaking off experience, I've been with a few people who have picked up RACE CARS directly from a port. One for a first time. It went smooth like butter. It was a RACE CAR though, as in it couldn't be street legal even where it came from, tube frame deal.

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm speaking off experience, I've been with a few people who have picked up RACE CARS directly from a port. One for a first time. It went smooth like butter. It was a RACE CAR though, as in it couldn't be street legal even where it came from, tube frame deal.

As i said either they got LUCKY or they had filed the necessary paperwork to clear the car into the country.

Or it fell into some grey area where it was a tube frame and not really a car so to speak.

All im saying is just as your buddy got one through, the next customs official can seize it and destroy it. Dont assume its just that easy.

BTW i bought 3 JDM cars from someone that were seized

Elbow
04-15-2010, 01:21 PM
As i said either they got LUCKY or they had filed the necessary paperwork to clear the car into the country.

Or it fell into some grey area where it was a tube frame and not really a car so to speak.

All im saying is just as your buddy got one through, the next customs official can seize it and destroy it. Dont assume its just that easy.

BTW i bought 3 JDM cars from someone that were seized

Ok, I'm just saying the four or so times I've been we never had an issue. Race cars are not street cars.

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Ok, I'm just saying the four or so times I've been we never had an issue. Race cars are not street cars.

The law on their website is quite clear. To import a race car (i posted it) its to be used for race purposes only and can only be in the country for a certain amount of time and you must get clearance through the EPA.

Good luck, i had a friend import 10 cars and all were seized and he lost $60000 because they were assembled and he thought he could get then through cause everyone told him it was easy.

Just be aware of the risks

KodyH
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
The law on their website is quite clear. To import a race car (i posted it) its to be used for race purposes only and can only be in the country for a certain amount of time and you must get clearance through the EPA.

Good luck, i had a friend import 10 cars and all were seized and he lost $60000 because they were assembled and he thought he could get then through cause everyone told him it was easy.

Just be aware of the risks

Disassembled it is ok though correct?

As in I buy a 1995 Evo III with no motor/tranny and have it shipped here. Then I purchase or send the motor/tranny here and assemble it. Is this acceptable?

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Disassembled it is ok though correct?

As in I buy a 1995 Evo III with no motor/tranny and have it shipped here. Then I purchase or send the motor/tranny here and assemble it. Is this acceptable?

no it is illegal. Read my original thread. The car you import with no motor and engine is for PARTS ONLY.

The second you reassemble it you are breaking federal law as you lied on your customs paperwork.

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Ill say it one more time:

ANY RHD JDM CAR IS ILLEGAL IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA UNLESS IT POSSESSES NHTSA CRASH DATA (WHICH THEY DONT) OR IT IS 25 YEARS OLD. NO RHD CAR IS LEGAL UNLESS IT IS A FORMER MOTOREX CAR (SKYLINE ONLY) OR IT IS 25 YEARS OLD.

NO AMOUNT OF ASSEMBLY, DISSASEMBLY , FORGERY, ETC MAKES IT LEGAL IN THE EYES OF THE FEDS.

SO UNLESS YOU PAY 1-2 million DOLLARS FOR NHTSA CRASH DATA THEN MAKE YOUR CAR COMPLIANT AS WELL AS EMISSIONS COMPLIANT, OR UNLESS ITS 25 YEARS OLD, IT IS ILLEGAL NO MATTER WHAT.

PERIOD.

KodyH
04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

ANY RHD JDM CAR IS ILLEGAL IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA UNLESS IT POSSESSES NHTSA CRASH DATA (WHICH THEY DONT) OR IT IS 25 YEARS OLD. NO RHD CAR IS LEGAL UNLESS IT IS A FORMER MOTOREX CAR (SKYLINE ONLY) OR IT IS 25 YEARS OLD.

NO AMOUNT OF ASSEMBLY, DISSASEMBLY , FORGERY, ETC MAKES IT LEGAL IN THE EYES OF THE FEDS.

SO UNLESS YOU PAY 1-2 million DOLLARS FOR NHTSA CRASH DATA THEN MAKE YOUR CAR COMPLIANT AS WELL AS EMISSIONS COMPLIANT, OR UNLESS ITS 25 YEARS OLD, IT IS ILLEGAL NO MATTER WHAT.

PERIOD.

Sorry, things got really confusing when you said you import 10-15 a month.

Vteckidd
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
10-15 CONTAINERS, not CARS

KodyH
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Got ya. Well thank you.

StreetHazard
04-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Can you hide a car in said container? :ninja:

EL42
04-16-2010, 12:19 PM

PERIOD.
jus wondering if it's suppose to be for parts...can u jus assemble the part on a U.S. version of the imported vehicle? (like the JDM front-end integra) or is that illegal also?

fivex684
04-16-2010, 04:37 PM
The headlights would not be DOT approved. Honestly though who cares, look at all the illegal conversions, motor swaps and imported cars.