PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods ecu info please!

CHADbee
11-03-2005, 09:27 PM
i want vtech to kick in at a lower rpm, i'm running to rich because of a itr ecu, and i'm about to get a set of skunk2 cam gears. whats the best way to get this right? chipped hondata? i don't know alot about ecu shit, but i'm losing power by running to rich right? would it be worth it to go with hondata, get it chipped and do some pulls? would i really get that much more power by doing going this route? somebody please skool me on ecu tuning! i know alittle but want to know so much more!

D16Civic
11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
First, its VTEC
Second, for tuning ur ecu, id say just go w/ uberdata cuz its a free program.
However, ur not goin to be able to use either one w/ that itr ecu since its obd2 unless they made pre 95 itr's which i dont remember. Both uberdata and Hondata both are only for obd1 ecu's, well and hondata has k pro for the new ones.

You could just get a vafc to do the tuning using ur existing ecu tho and u can set vtec w/ that as well. I think ive even seen a couple of them in the for sale section.

CHADbee
11-03-2005, 09:53 PM
i allso have an obd1 gsr ecu with an obd1 to obd2 convernsion harness, so i could go with uberdata or hondata, i'm just not sure with one will give me the best tuning possibilties.

D16Civic
11-03-2005, 10:08 PM
They are both really good, just uberdata is cheaper. Talk to mainstream, they do a lot of uberdata tuning, $100 an hour if u want them to do it on the dyno.
Only thing im not sure of w/ uberdata is the vtec engagement. I would think you could change it w/ it but im not positive. Just talk to Vteckidd or better yet scttydb411, he actually does the uberdata tuning, they will be able to give u a better answer.

99SI
11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm running a PR3 ecu w/ my 99si, using a skunk 2 obd2-obd1 harness and it's tuned with uberdata. You can set vtec wherever you like, as well as adjust timing, fuel and pretty much anything that a stand alone can do. They are constantly writing new programs for uberdata making it a very competitive option to going to a truly stand alone engine management. I have been very happy with the uberdata tune and have had no problems so far. The thing with a VAFC is that you can change the vtec engagement and also the fuel but you can't do anything with timing which when you get down to fine tuning has as big of an effect as anything. That's why I would say go with uberdata tuning on your obd1 gsr computer. Do you have aftermarket cams? what mods have you done so far?

CHADbee
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
my bad...i allready have AEM cam gears and i'm about to get a set of skunk2 cams, dc headers, injen shortram, greddy catback, b&m adjustable fuel pressure regulator

99SI
11-04-2005, 11:27 AM
leave off the greddy catback, get Charles at Mainstream to make you a custom exhaust and use the money you save to get an RMF header instead of the DC. You don't have a V6 do you??? If you have a 4 cylinder you only need one header!;) God, I love catching that slip up. Also the FPR may not be neccessary, I don't have one on my car and I've got quite a list of mods. I did end up getting larger Prelude injectors but otherwise my fuel system is stock and it holds great pressure with no problems whatsoever.

IntegraXTR
11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
why don't you just get a V-AFC and tune that, but then again you could get a OBD2-1 conversion and run a chipped p28.

scttydb411
11-05-2005, 09:14 AM
if you have an obd1 gsr ecu:
have me socket/chip it w/ an uberdata basemap
come to mainstream and have me tune it
done

uberdata is a rom editor (just like hondata). i'll tune out your afr at idle, part throttle lo-cam/hi-cam, set the vtec point to the best power throughout the rev range, adjust ingnition timing base and rev, cams (if adjustable), etc.

i don't recommend afc if you can go w/ a programmable ecu. it works by adjusting the signal the ecu sees from the map sensor that shifts you around in your fuel maps (which is what you're trying to do by adding/cutting fuel), but it also shifts you in your timing maps as well...you can't do both independently when you are hacking the map signal. it works ok for small tweaks and if you can't do a standalone ecu, it's about the only choice.

99SI
11-05-2005, 09:15 AM
why don't you just get a V-AFC and tune that, but then again you could get a OBD2-1 conversion and run a chipped p28.

The thing with a VAFC is that you can change the vtec engagement and also the fuel but you can't do anything with timing which when you get down to fine tuning has as big of an effect as anything.
That's my opinion on why he should do uberdata instead of VAFC