PDA

View Full Version : what ECU should i use?

CHADbee
11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
i don't know alot about aftermarket ecu's, i was gonna get a vtec controller but would'nt be be smarter to get hondata ecu and get it chipped? i want lower vtec...around 4.5 or 5k and i need to get my A/F ratio right cause i'm running to rich cause i'm running off a type r ecu...so i'm losing power right? also i got AEM cam gears and i'm about to get a set of skunk2 cams so would'nt i get alot more power if i got my timing right? if i take my car to a shop to get the ecu chipped and get a few pulls on the dyno how much would it cost? how much power would i get out of it? is it worth it? let me know what you people think and any extra info on ecu tuning would be great...thanks

Ludester
11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
what car do you drive? it fuck it, it doesn't matter. you should hook up with vteckid and mainstream. there the best for all motor and they have the cheapest dyno around here. Scottie will tune the shit out of that for u if you get hondata ecu. also I think they can get you huberdata for a lot cheaper too. GET IN CONTACT WITH VTECKID!!!

Vuongy_Dong
11-03-2005, 11:50 PM
sell the ecu and get P28 chipped with uberdata and then get it tuned at mainstream.

99SI
11-04-2005, 10:16 AM
multiple threads on the same topic are not neccessary! lol. Check back to your other thread where I responded if you would like to hear my opinion on the matter.

BTEC
11-04-2005, 11:11 AM
ur car will suck balls with vtec that low. id bet ur car makes the smoothest power band with vtec at 5500 or 6000. but yeah, do uberdata and let mainstream hook u up. if u are set on hondata for some reason ed from balanced is pretty damn good but expensive. i mean he does get flown around the country to tune cars so that explains his price and capabilities. l8er and good luck.

scttydb411
11-05-2005, 09:19 AM
responded to your other thread...too lazy to retype or copy/paste.

IntegraXTR
11-06-2005, 01:10 PM
ur car will suck balls with vtec that low. id bet ur car makes the smoothest power band with vtec at 5500 or 6000. but yeah, do uberdata and let mainstream hook u up. if u are set on hondata for some reason ed from balanced is pretty damn good but expensive. i mean he does get flown around the country to tune cars so that explains his price and capabilities. l8er and good luck.

yeh dude, I wouldn't engage vtec at 4500 or less for that matter due to the fact that your powerband would suck. Engaging vtec early like that you won't have enough time to gain power, but by setting the engagement at higher rpms you get a bigger kick out of it, I set mines at 5800-6000, and you will notice the difference.

scttydb411
11-06-2005, 01:22 PM
yeh dude, I wouldn't engage vtec at 4500 or less for that matter due to the fact that your powerband would suck. Engaging vtec early like that you won't have enough time to gain power, but by setting the engagement at higher rpms you get a bigger kick out of it, I set mines at 5800-6000, and you will notice the difference.

if you set it that high on the dyno based on the powerband...wow. if you just set it there based on the butt dyno you are losing quite a bit of power throughout the powerband. typically the lo-cam starts dropping off power, but not to the extent that you'll feel, but plenty since it drops it smoothly. the reason you feel it "kick" is because you are now engaging the hi-cam and the difference in power is dramatic because you lost so much before.

i'm not saying your particular setup doesn't benefit from that high of a setting of vtec, but unless it's built n/a or boosted it's not benefiting you at all. get it on a dyno to really see and you'll understand what i'm talking about.

IntegraXTR
11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
if you set it that high on the dyno based on the powerband...wow. if you just set it there based on the butt dyno you are losing quite a bit of power throughout the powerband. typically the lo-cam starts dropping off power, but not to the extent that you'll feel, but plenty since it drops it smoothly. the reason you feel it "kick" is because you are now engaging the hi-cam and the difference in power is dramatic because you lost so much before.

i'm not saying your particular setup doesn't benefit from that high of a setting of vtec, but unless it's built n/a or boosted it's not benefiting you at all. get it on a dyno to really see and you'll understand what i'm talking about.

yes you are correct, the reason I set the vtec at 5800 is because I was running a J1 LSD Tranny, extremely short gears but revs fast, so by setting it higher it benefitted me, I tried 5400 but couldn't gain enough power. With this tranny I top out at about 110-115.