PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Businessweek: Honda Slips Into Reverse

1SICKLEX
04-09-2010, 10:07 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_16/b4174024664807.htm

http://images.businessweek.com/mz/10/16/600/1016_mz_24honda.jpg
Cheap leases helped sales but didn't stop the share slide Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

By David Welch
BW Magazine

Given the troubles of archrival Toyota, Honda should be cleaning up this year. It isn't working out that way. After a decade of nonstop growth in the U.S., Honda Motor (HMG) fell from a 10.5% share in the first quarter of 2009 to 10.1% in the same period this year. (Rival Nissan Motor now has 9%, up from 7.9%, and Hyundai Motor is up to 4.4%, from 4.2%.) Honda "has lost its mojo with new model launches," says Jessica Caldwell, a senior analyst at car shopping site Edmunds.com.

While Honda's sales are up 12.5% from last year's dismal first quarter, the overall market grew by 17.1%. The company once offered a sportier alternative to stodgy-but-reliable Toyota Motor (TM), but Honda's cars now look pale alongside newer models from Nissan, Hyundai, Ford (F), and General Motors, says John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at IHS Global Insight. With its reputation for performance and handling, Honda "used to be the Japanese BMW," Wolkonowicz says. "It's not anymore."

Honda declined to make any executives available for this story. A spokesman says the company isn't concerned about market share; it is profitable and remains focused on providing reliable, safe, efficient cars. Nonetheless, Honda in March offered cheap leases to battle 0% financing deals from Toyota as that company sought to shore up sales in the wake of its recall problems. Honda's program boosted interest somewhat, but the market-share slide continued.
OUTSOLD 2 TO 1

The new Accord Crosstour is emblematic of Honda's woes. Honda launched the model in November, billing it as a mash-up of an SUV and a sedan. Trouble is, the Crosstour has neither the room of most SUVs nor the look and feel of a sedan, says James N. Hall, principal of 2953 Analytics, an auto consultancy in Birmingham, Mich. And the Crosstour only comes with a V-6 engine, pushing the price to $30,000. Not only is it about $3,000 more than Toyota's competing Venza but it also uses more fuel. This year the Venza has outsold the Crosstour by nearly 2 to 1.

Honda has similarly stumbled with the Insight. During the hybrid's splashy relaunch last year, Honda pitched it as a less expensive alternative to Toyota's Prius. In 2010, Honda has moved fewer than 5,000 Insights in the U.S., about one-sixth the number of Priuses Toyota has sold. And in March, Ford's Fusion hybrid edged out the Insight 1,670 to 1,652 even though the Fusion costs some 35% more. While the Fusion is roomier, it gets nearly the same gas mileage, about 40 miles per gallon.

Even Honda's core models are under pressure. The Civic compact, the No. 6 seller in the U.S. in 2009, is No. 7 this year, researcher Autodata reports, and sales of the CR-V are off by 4.2%. And while Accord sales are growing, Honda opted for more conservative styling when it relaunched the sedan last year. Now potential buyers are exploring other options; a year ago, only 5% of visitors to Edmunds.com interested in the Accord also checked out the Hyundai Sonata, and 6% looked at Ford's Fusion. This March, 12% of Accord shoppers considered the Sonata and 9% gave the Fusion a look.

One such shopper is Charles Summers, who works for a human resources firm near Atlanta. With his first child on the way, Summers figured he would trade his 2007 Hyundai Elantra for an Accord. But he found the styling bland and felt the Sonata was more comfortable. So he spent $26,000 for a Sonata, while a similarly equipped Accord would have cost more than $28,000. "I thought for sure I'd end up with an Accord," Summers says. And that's how market share slips away.

Welch is BusinessWeek's Detroit bureau chief.

Nerdsrock22
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
While I can argue with some of these points, (Crosstour was only released this year, Civic is entering into its 6th year), this is basically spot on.

Hyundai, and to an extent Ford, is eating Honda's lunch and will keep doing so.

Honda needs some kind of affordable excitement, soon. And the CR-Z isn't going to cut it.

cjhutch
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I really don't know what they were thinking with the Crosstour. I saw one the other day while at a light and I looked around to all the other cars around me and tried to find something uglier. I couldn't and the worst part is there was a Pontiac Vibe around. Now they are branching off that with the Acura ZDX which serves no purpose in their lineup and with a starting price of $46k it's just a more expensive pointless version of the Crosstour. In addition the base model is only available in 4 colors (black, white, gray, silver).:thinking:

I also agree with the person above that the CR-Z is not going to sale very well. Offering the car only as a hybrid is a big mistake. I have no problem with hybrids, but it should be optional. Does anyone know what the MSRP on it is? If I was looking for a small hatch I would just buy a Mini or GTI. If I wanted to go the cheaper route I would look at the Hyundai Accent 3 door. I drove one for a couple of days as a rental and it wasn't bad. It was the top of the line model and I looked up the specs on the car and it still came in under $19k. From what I remember I was easily getting 30+mpg out of the thing.

Nerdsrock22
04-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I really don't know what they were thinking with the Crosstour. I saw one the other day while at a light and I looked around to all the other cars around me and tried to find something uglier. I couldn't and the worst part is there was a Pontiac Vibe around. Now they are branching off that with the Acura ZDX which serves no purpose in their lineup and with a starting price of $46k it's just a more expensive pointless version of the Crosstour. In addition the base model is only available in 4 colors (black, white, gray, silver).:thinking:

I also agree with the person above that the CR-Z is not going to sale very well. Offering the car only as a hybrid is a big mistake. I have no problem with hybrids, but it should be optional. Does anyone know what the MSRP on it is? If I was looking for a small hatch I would just buy a Mini or GTI. If I wanted to go the cheaper route I would look at the Hyundai Accent 3 door. I drove one for a couple of days as a rental and it wasn't bad. It was the top of the line model and I looked up the specs on the car and it still came in under $19k. From what I remember I was easily getting 30+mpg out of the thing.

I actually like the Crosstour. It was a gamble for Honda visually, but inside it's still a great car. My problem with it is that it's only offered with a V6, which pushes the price to $30k, hardly affordable to the everyman.

I'm holding my breath on the CR-Z. It's seems to have quite the following in Japan, as a ton of tuning companies have jumped into the ring, most being built for tracking. But no matter how good it is, it's not a brand saver; 2 seaters can't do that. The next Civic needs to be awesome. Like beat the pants off the new Focus and the Mazda 3 awesome. And it's going to need to be better than the next gen Elantra, because if not, Hyundai is the new Honda. And Honda becomes an also ran.

RUFFIAN
04-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Honda needs a great 2+2 RWD Sports coupe like yesterday.

TicketRedBB6
04-10-2010, 01:48 AM
While I can argue with some of these points, (Crosstour was only released this year, Civic is entering into its 6th year), this is basically spot on.

Honda needs some kind of affordable excitement, soon. And the CR-Z isn't going to cut it.
This is a good point on the civic. They need to redesign the body style. I like the current body style, but after 6 years of basically the same design people are probably getting sick of it.

And I hated the crosstour at first, but I like it now too. Wouldn't buy one, but I see what they were trying to do with it

Nerdsrock22
04-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda needs a great 2+2 RWD Sports coupe like yesterday.

Honda has never needed one before, they don't need one now.

Vteckidd
04-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Agreed. I mean what is their main fleet consist of?

3 of the same Luxury Acura cars with same engine (TSX, TL, RL?)

No more RSX means Acura has NO sports car anymore

Honda =NO MORE INTEGRA which means they lost their entry level sports car at least with the RSX there was something available

NO MORE PRELUDE

So what do we have? a 6 year run of the same civic? Which when it came out was stylish and cool, but it has long since run its course. The Civic SI with its issues is hardly the sporty car its predecessors were. The s2000 became overpriced and underpowered so they killed it.

The Insight would NEVER compete with the Prius so i dont even know why they kept it around.

The only car they have done RIGHT IMO has been the FIT. Stylish, practical, good MPG, lots of options, cheap etc.

They need to quit being so conservative and bland and not be afraid to shake things up. They could get away with being bland years ago because they had no competition. but with Hyundai beating down their door, they cant afford to do that anymore.

Kevykev
04-10-2010, 10:50 AM
(Crosstour was only released this year, .

And has gotten lackluster reviews. I could be wrong but do not see anything coming out of this model.

They might just scrap it. Or it might hold the same fate of the ford freestyle (Introduction, production for few more years then rename as Accord wagon -which we havent seen since '97)

XanRules
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
They need to quit being so conservative and bland and not be afraid to shake things up. They could get away with being bland years ago because they had no competition. but with Hyundai beating down their door, they cant afford to do that anymore.
This. If you're not relentlessly innovative these days, taking risks and pushing the envelope, you're just going to get stomped on by your competitors.

alpine_aw11
04-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda is just a boring company overall these days. And I don't see it changing anytime soon.