PDA

View Full Version : Car just got a fresh paint

rahman20k
04-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey my parents car just got a fresh paint on their car , and it feels like they're sand or grime in the paint, the body shop says that buffing the car will take it out? Car has a Ful-Thane 2K Urethane. The paint looks dull, and has some drips, does anyone think if i buff it or clay the whole car will it smoothen out? I have to wait a month anyways before i can buff it out since the paint has to cure. Anyways let me know, worried about the paint job, they refuse to do anything about it.

jdm eg99
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
3m 2000 rubbing compound use an adj buffer works wonders. enjoy

rahman20k
04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
3m 2000 rubbing compound use an adj buffer works wonders. enjoy

Can i find it at an auto parts store? How much would it be around? Im not into the paint scene so i wouldnt know lol, can you give me the steps to doing it?

SlowEG9
04-08-2010, 11:43 PM
where did you get it painted if you dont mind me asking? I had similar results on my old si..took it to another one of the companys branches for a "second opinion" they spotted more shit wrong then i did...all i noticed was a few specks and a burn mark from the buffer and they repainted the whole car free when all it originally went in for was a fender and door

Stuntman G
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
As a Paint and Body shop employee, this just sounds like shitty customer service to me. I have everything you could need to fix this, if you can swing by the Marietta area I can hook you up. PM me if you want :goodjob:

rahman20k
04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
where did you get it painted if you dont mind me asking? I had similar results on my old si..took it to another one of the companys branches for a "second opinion" they spotted more shit wrong then i did...all i noticed was a few specks and a burn mark from the buffer and they repainted the whole car free when all it originally went in for was a fender and door

Hey i took it to Econo Painting in Doraville located on Buford Hwy. Thought it would be a nice deal but really dissapointed with it just doesnt shine, drips, rough spots.

rahman20k
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Also it looks like they scraped my right mirror a lil bit, and the rear quarter panels looks out of shape like they dented it and then tried fixing it. They're just so ignorant , supposedly it was accident when they painted on the rubber compound by the windows, painted the keyholes, didnt even take off badges to paint. Did a real shitty job. I made my mistake, don't go there even if they offer a 4 year warranty. oh and they also painted the tip part of the muffler black probaly painted white over and then painted it black and thought i wouldnt be able to detect.

Patterson
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
a good body shop is really hard to find. thats why i started doing my own. at least when i fuck it up i just shake my head and fix it lol

rahman20k
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
a good body shop is really hard to find. thats why i started doing my own. at least when i fuck it up i just shake my head and fix it lol

haha yea,

green91
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Good body shops are around, but none of them have the word "econo" in their name. Sounds like your best bet is a wetsand and buff.

ueyedgr8tness
04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I try to tell ppl that going to the cheap places is going to just get u cheap work.I mean damn when i put more time prepping a body than these cheap shops spend doing the entire car prep,paint and all then i no something wrong.

Gorilla Eg!
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey my parents car just got a fresh paint on their car , and it feels like they're sand or grime in the paint, the body shop says that buffing the car will take it out? Car has a Ful-Thane 2K Urethane. The paint looks dull, and has some drips, does anyone think if i buff it or clay the whole car will it smoothen out? I have to wait a month anyways before i can buff it out since the paint has to cure. Anyways let me know, worried about the paint job, they refuse to do anything about it.

how much was the paint job? I mean if you went down the street to maaco and got a $500 paint job id expect it to be garbage, but if you went to a place that does good work and they just got lazy and slapped some half ass spray job on there and charged 3 grand id be pissed to say the least...

rahman20k
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
how much was the paint job? I mean if you went down the street to maaco and got a $500 paint job id expect it to be garbage, but if you went to a place that does good work and they just got lazy and slapped some half ass spray job on there and charged 3 grand id be pissed to say the least...

almost a 1k job , maaco gave me an estimate near that but i got it with the same material somewhere cheaper, almost 700 so yea , its a Ful-Thane 2K Urethane so its not bad, even the body shop said its needs to be buffed out but they aint doin it,

Gorilla Eg!
04-13-2010, 04:31 PM
almost a 1k job , maaco gave me an estimate near that but i got it with the same material somewhere cheaper, almost 700 so yea , its a Ful-Thane 2K Urethane so its not bad, even the body shop said its needs to be buffed out but they aint doin it,

yea, sounds about right then, those cheap paint jobs arent as good as they seem once you see the quality, im not downing you at all bro.....just lesson learned I suppose...GL tryin to wet sand/color sand/buff that out

scrxils
04-14-2010, 12:10 AM
bottom line if you paid them the money and the work is balls deep in scary and not what you were advised it would be i myself as a employee of automotive refinishing make em fix it even if it is a 700$ paint job there is no excuse for ass loads of trash to be in the paint or the finish to not shine regardless of the price, it is urethane not single stage. either or, the right painter can make it shine like base clear. it is the life of the paint that should be the difference between price not the quality in the work

HeLLo iM iZzY
04-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Painting skills really don't matter as much as prep work.

Prep work is the most important thing when it comes to a paint job.

Spraying down the paint is almost as rattle canning your wheels.

95droppedhatch
04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Painting skills really don't matter as much as prep work.

Prep work is the most important thing when it comes to a paint job.

Spraying down the paint is almost as rattle canning your wheels.

you know prep work does have alot to do with the quality of the paint job ....BUT not any random person can spray and make it look good and it definatly is not like rattle canning your wheels....ive had seen some people that have been painting for years and makes it look like a basketball but ive seen someone walk in and make it look like glass and it depends on the day ive gone in the paint booth and made it look like water and ive gone in there and made it run like water

sina518
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
You pretty much got what you paid for. im assuming you got a single stage paint job that had clear mixed in it. most body shops color sand and buff the car after it has been painted and majority of the time its a 2 stage paint job or 3 stage depending on what color it is. yes prep work has a lot to do with it. also a good paint job will range anywhere from 3-10k depending on color, the shop, and how detailed you want the work.

just fyi dont try to buff your own car if A. YOU HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE AND B. IF ITS A SINGLE STAGE. IT CAN BE DONE BUT PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT.

gerardojdm
04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
That suck balls!!!! What's the name of the body shop??

killakalipop
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
i agree with most on here....u get what u paid and the name tells it all.."econo"....i would def us that 3m rubbing compound

NoWAyItZTOMmY
04-19-2010, 11:38 PM
That suck balls!!!! What's the name of the body shop??

hmmm

Hey i took it to Econo Painting in Doraville located on Buford Hwy. Thought it would be a nice deal but really dissapointed with it just doesnt shine, drips, rough spots.

JessAlba452
05-09-2010, 03:41 AM
What most people said. Wet sand with very high finishing grit sand paper and use a buffer with 3M Rubbing Compund, and then Polishing Compound. Don't use wax until at least a month to allow the paint to cure. :) I always pass by that Econo Paint place and hardly ever see any cars in their lot and wondered about their paint jobs. Best of luck, and hopefully everything turns out right if you need any help let me know! :D

Berta
05-09-2010, 07:50 PM
When you said "Econo", i almost choked from laughter. I don't know of anyone getting a quality paint job from a "Econo". If it is anything as bad as you are saying, you might want to start all over again. They probably didn't prep the car at all. And gave the car the water look with those runs in the paint.