PDA

View Full Version : Mac People...Question.

Elbow
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I just got a older Power Mac G4 for cheap and am just going to clean it up and sell it probably.

I JUST have the actual computer though and want to get it all complete and running first. Besides the OS is everything else the same as a regular PC? Sorry I am a HUGE Mac noob and have never worked on one.

I need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and that's about it, no OS disc but I found what OS it runs so will probably find one on eBay.

Specs on the back say nothing special: 450mhz,128mb ram,40gb hd, and a DVD drive.

Inside the ram has been upgraded so that's a plus, is this thing even worth fixing up or is it pretty slow?

.blank cd
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
What you'll find is that PC machines are resource hogs, so a Mac with the same specs will run faster than the windows machine.

As far as your peripherals, the keybord and mouse are macs, the monitors are universal though

Elbow
04-06-2010, 03:10 PM
What you'll find is that PC machines are resource hogs, so a Mac with the same specs will run faster than the windows machine.

As far as your peripherals, the keybord and mouse are macs, the monitors are universal though

Cool thanks! I got a cheap monitor that I tried and it won't light up, the monitor works, I am thinking maybe the system doesn't have a video driver maybe? The computer turns on, makes the opening sound and sounds good but no picture. Could it be a bad video cars or something?

91LudeSiT
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Cool thanks! I got a cheap monitor that I tried and it won't light up, the monitor works, I am thinking maybe the system doesn't have a video driver maybe? The computer turns on, makes the opening sound and sounds good but no picture. Could it be a bad video cars or something?

You have to remember that the system architecture of macs is different, so they don't use drivers. The hardware drivers are actually hard coded to the OS kernel. I am not sure about power macs, but google is probably your best resource. Older macs always used USB keyboards and mice, so standard ones should work. Not sure why your monitor isn't working, but it should be.

okra1981
04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Yeah, what these guys are saying. I'd try out another monitor, it's the easiest thing to do, but if it is messed up, you can pick up another video card pretty simply, usedmac.com has them for about $29. Also, if you wanted to keep it and go all vintage, you can pick up one of the black mice for about $28 and the black keyboard for about the same, or I could sell you a white mouse and keyboard from my G5. You have a pretty good machine, I'd keep it and use it as an extremely reliable computer that is a no frills pron machine, simple.

http://www.usedmac.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=46_133