PDA

View Full Version : Rims Paint HELP!!!!

dtmcnamara
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Ok so I was going to paint my rims. I went out to Home Depot and was looking at all the paint and decided to go with a rustoleum...think thats how you spell it. The guy told me it would do well on the aluminum rims. So I also got some of the same brand primer. I got home took goof off to the rims and cleaned them all off. Dryed them with paper towels and primed them. Them wet sand'd them all and primed and sand'd and primed...ect and did 5 coats of primer. Them I put a coat of the gloss black paint. Everything went well. I read the bottle and it said recoat lightly every hour or every 48 hours. So I decided to try both. I re coated one "extreamly lightly" after and hour and it decided to wrinkle up like the dry desert ground...SHIT!!! o well its only one rims. Soa few days later (like 72 hours) I got home lightly wet sand'd all the rims that were good and let them dry them put another coat on one rims and it still wrinkled up...Can anyone tell me why? I wanna paint these rims so I can get them on my car. THANKS

rbwdriven
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
first of all it sounds like your mixing two different types of paint if it is doing that kind of stuff.

I painted my rims for racing and also my car.

First step is to clean real good. I even went to the theory or using ajax. It gets rid of everything.

After I let them dry I used a sandable primer. Now take in mind I went to autocolor (a car paint store), not home depot.

Then after a few coats of primer and everything is set up, dry and smooth then I went on to the final stage.

The final stage was I applied light coats of paint. I've been using bumper paint. Now at autocolor they make different colors so I went with a grey color.

I basically misted the rim. By the time I was done I had around 15-20 fine mist coats on either side.

After this I decided to clear them just to protect them a little.

Now take in mind I've been painting cars for a living so prep work I really go to the small detail in making sure it is correct and also in all of the prep work and paint work I did not mix paint types at all.

I used regular emamel paint not lacquer paint. Make sure when you decide to do this again to prep really well.

By the way you can always go to the local auto store (pep boys etc), get yourself of air craft paint stripper and strip the wheel. Once it has done all the spider webbing shit you can not paint on top of it to get rid of it.

Bishop
11-03-2005, 07:03 PM
You may wanna scuff up the wheel before you lay down the primer. It will peel up and wont last long if u dont. But, yeah...i cant tell you why it happened, cause i never use spray paint.

dtmcnamara
11-03-2005, 07:08 PM
well i dont know...all I know is that I am PISSED!!! I spent about 5 hours on them already and they are fucked up....o well I guess you live and learn. The thing that I dont understand is why it did it? I didnt use different paints. And the bottle says to do multiple coats. I will try tomorrow and see what happens again, luckly I know someone whos got a sand blaster and I will blast all of the paint off fairly easy and quick, just a waist of money and time....so bumper paint works good? I might try this next time. I will keep you guys posted...THANKS

i4_garage
11-03-2005, 08:10 PM
naw man...u need the grease cleaner that body shops have.....it takes away the grease to prevent ur paint from skrinking up...and also....when u spary with cans they tend to not spray evenly and in some spot the paint Tiner is more htan other places which then chemically separate ur paint from the surface in the skrinking form.....if u want i can paint them for u for 100$ all four...

dtmcnamara
11-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Might consider it....you gunna use a spray gun?

naw man...u need the grease cleaner that body shops have.....it takes away the grease to prevent ur paint from skrinking up...and also....when u spary with cans they tend to not spray evenly and in some spot the paint Tiner is more htan other places which then chemically separate ur paint from the surface in the skrinking form.....if u want i can paint them for u for 100$ all four...

i4_garage
11-04-2005, 08:37 AM
yeah...i will even paint it in a paint booth....

D.Choe
11-15-2005, 06:10 PM

you wanna paint my rims? lmk if you're interested.

i4_garage
11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
i 'll paint it...wat kinna rims? u got pics?

D.Choe
11-15-2005, 07:17 PM
i 'll paint it...wat kinna rims? u got pics?

they're already painted black, but it needs to be painted again cause it's been chipped and has the usual scratches. i was thinking about painting them myself but i didn't want them to look like shit. they're just tiburon rims and i'll take some pics of them tomorrow when it's light out.

i4_garage
11-15-2005, 07:20 PM
agiht...send me some so i can know long it will take ....lol...becuz some rims are harder to tape and stuff

Vuongy_Dong
11-16-2005, 04:48 PM
need ya to paint my fat fives so i can put my BFG radials on it. LMK

D.Choe
11-16-2005, 05:23 PM
i just now came back home and it's dark. so i just said fuck it and just turned the lights on in the garage and used the flash on my digicam. i'm really tired so the pictures aren't the best, but it'll give you an idea of how long it'll take.
front right:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTEzMDg1MzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
front left:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTEzMDg1NDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
rear left:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTEzMDg1NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
rear right:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTEzMDg1NjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
the front left one is curbed a little bit due to my sister, who just got her permit, while i was instructing her on how to park. asian women = worst drivers of all time. period.

i4_garage
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
i do it for 100

Vuongy_Dong
11-16-2005, 07:25 PM
I'll stop by the shop on Saturday.

D.Choe
11-16-2005, 10:58 PM
ok but lmk how long it'll take and where you're located at. thanks

Vuongy_Dong
11-17-2005, 06:59 AM
he's located in Hapeville. Its about 30-35 minutes from Buford.

D.Choe
11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
thanks for the info. do you (vinhbodys) have a number i can contact you by?

i4_garage
11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
yeah....404 451 1744