PDA

View Full Version : Who taps a can before opening it?

speedminded
04-04-2010, 11:28 AM
What are the reasons for doing it and how do you know it works?

roxie911
04-04-2010, 11:42 AM
people do it to keep it from spraying everywhere if they've dropped it. Idk if it works, but hey...better safe than sorry :)

loverboy_gnd
04-04-2010, 11:43 AM
i jus open it and chug.... i see people tapping it but im lost as to y they do it, would be interesting to see ppls answers

speedminded
04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
people do it to keep it from spraying everywhere if they've dropped it. Idk if it works, but hey...better safe than sorry :)Basically, people don't know if it actually does anything or not but they do it anyways just in case?

roxie911
04-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Basically, people don't know if it actually does anything or not but they do it anyways just in case?

Pretty much lol

quickdodgeŽ
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM

I've never understood the purpose of that, either.

Someone enlighten us, please. Later, QD.

STRteg
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
People tap on soda cans to avoid a soda explosion from a can that has been shaken up. Tapping may, in fact, decrease the likelihood of such an explosion, but a positive outcome is not guaranteed.

Why do people tap on these cans?

Carbonated beverages contain dissolved carbon-dioxide gas. The way to get gas to dissolve in liquid is to pressurize the mixture, meaning that the pressure inside a soda can is greater than the pressure outside the can. This is why you see little bubbles spray out when you open a soda can -- breaking the seal depressurizes the mixture, causing the gas to come out of solution, starting with the gas closest to the top (that's where the pressure decrease starts). Because gas is lighter than liquid, as soon as it comes out of solution, it rises to escape the can. When it escapes, it carries with it a small amount of liquid from the very top of the can because that liquid is blocking its path.

When you shake a soda can, some of the gas comes out of solution. There are a bunch of carbon dioxide bubbles clinging to the inside of the can, trying to get out. When you open this can and the gas rises to escape, it doesn't only push on the liquid at the very top of the can. Because gas bubbles are stuck to the top, sides and bottom of the can, they force all of the liquid out because all of the liquid is blocking their upward path.

When you tap on the can, you knock bubbles off the bottom and sides of the can, at which point they rise to the top (because gas is lighter than liquid) and there is only a small amount of liquid blocking their escape when you open the can.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how many of the bubbles you've displaced in your tapping effort. The wisest course of action is to let the can sit for a while so the gas has time to redissolve. But if you're too thirsty to wait, tapping gently on the can and then slowly popping the top (so the drop in pressure is less sudden) will certainly decrease your chances of getting drenched.

loverboy_gnd
04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Compliments TLC Cooking

go here if you wanan read the full thing... http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question602.htm/ but basically:

People tap on soda cans to avoid a soda explosion from a can that has been shaken up. Tapping may, in fact, decrease the likelihood of such an explosion, but a positive outcome is not guaranteed. When you tap on the can, you knock bubbles off the bottom and sides of the can, at which point they rise to the top (because gas is lighter than liquid) and there is only a small amount of liquid blocking their escape when you open the can. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how many of the bubbles you've displaced in your tapping effort

hope that helps out a lil

^^ dude beat me to it but w/e

STRteg
04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Compliments TLC Cooking

go here if you wanan read the full thing... http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question602.htm/ but basically:

People tap on soda cans to avoid a soda explosion from a can that has been shaken up. Tapping may, in fact, decrease the likelihood of such an explosion, but a positive outcome is not guaranteed. When you tap on the can, you knock bubbles off the bottom and sides of the can, at which point they rise to the top (because gas is lighter than liquid) and there is only a small amount of liquid blocking their escape when you open the can. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how many of the bubbles you've displaced in your tapping effort

hope that helps out a lil

^^ dude beat me to it but w/e

lol too quick

loverboy_gnd
04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
lol too quick

yh i was like damn dude lol

speedminded
04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
People tap on soda cans to avoid a soda explosion from a can that has been shaken up. Tapping may, in fact, decrease the likelihood of such an explosion, but a positive outcome is not guaranteed.

Why do people tap on these cans?

Carbonated beverages contain dissolved carbon-dioxide gas. The way to get gas to dissolve in liquid is to pressurize the mixture, meaning that the pressure inside a soda can is greater than the pressure outside the can. This is why you see little bubbles spray out when you open a soda can -- breaking the seal depressurizes the mixture, causing the gas to come out of solution, starting with the gas closest to the top (that's where the pressure decrease starts). Because gas is lighter than liquid, as soon as it comes out of solution, it rises to escape the can. When it escapes, it carries with it a small amount of liquid from the very top of the can because that liquid is blocking its path.

When you shake a soda can, some of the gas comes out of solution. There are a bunch of carbon dioxide bubbles clinging to the inside of the can, trying to get out. When you open this can and the gas rises to escape, it doesn't only push on the liquid at the very top of the can. Because gas bubbles are stuck to the top, sides and bottom of the can, they force all of the liquid out because all of the liquid is blocking their upward path.

When you tap on the can, you knock bubbles off the bottom and sides of the can, at which point they rise to the top (because gas is lighter than liquid) and there is only a small amount of liquid blocking their escape when you open the can.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how many of the bubbles you've displaced in your tapping effort. The wisest course of action is to let the can sit for a while so the gas has time to redissolve. But if you're too thirsty to wait, tapping gently on the can and then slowly popping the top (so the drop in pressure is less sudden) will certainly decrease your chances of getting drenched.So if you tapped on the heads of deep sea divers while they're rising to the surface they wouldn't get the bends?

loverboy_gnd
04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
So if you tapped on the heads of deep sea divers while they're rising to the surface they wouldn't get the bends?

LOL

Miss.Kayla
04-04-2010, 01:02 PM
i hit the bottom of the tab bcus it makes it easier to get it open.
i have finger nails and i cant get under it

Nemesis
04-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I STAB MY SHIT ON THE SIDE WITH A PEN AND CHUG IT

5speed
04-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I hit jar tops with a spoon. It makes it easier to open. As for soda, I wouldn't ever do that.

m.prus
04-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Mythbusters did this and it works better if you tap the sides of the can instead of the top. You'll just look like an idiot doing it.

speedminded
04-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Mythbusters did this and it works better if you tap the sides of the can instead of the top. You'll just look like an idiot doing it.Bingo. I haven't seen the episode but even after pouring a glass of carbonated drink you can tell where the bubble are. The sides of the can or glass have the most real estate for the bubbles to adhere to so the idea is to get the bubbles to the TOP where the air space is...

Tapping the top of the can will not do anything more than picking your nose for 5 seconds before opening it. Even doing 10 pushups then opening it will be more effective than tapping the top lol! It's that time for the bubbles to get to the top after being disturbed is what is needed.

Tapping the top will in no way assist the bubbles going to the top any more than the time spent doing it.

slostang
04-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I STAB MY SHIT ON THE SIDE WITH A PEN AND CHUG IT

x3

Kevykev
04-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Wifey does it, i'll be sure to update her.

Black4DrEK
04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Guilty

ShooterMcGavin
04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
to keep it from spraying everywhere is a myth, tapping it does nothing. there is another way however that is top secret :ninja:

DriVaH
04-04-2010, 04:05 PM
justin casei've seen him on the safe auto commercial...:goodjob:

Okie_doke.
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM

It just does.....

Catnip
04-05-2010, 02:33 AM
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/img/cache/bcb9b8db117ee64376aedaf7af3595ca/can-rip.jpg

Bajjani
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Bingo. I haven't seen the episode but even after pouring a glass of carbonated drink you can tell where the bubble are. The sides of the can or glass have the most real estate for the bubbles to adhere to so the idea is to get the bubbles to the TOP where the air space is...

Tapping the top of the can will not do anything more than picking your nose for 5 seconds before opening it. Even doing 10 pushups then opening it will be more effective than tapping the top lol! It's that time for the bubbles to get to the top after being disturbed is what is needed.

Tapping the top will in no way assist the bubbles going to the top any more than the time spent doing it.

How do you figure?

speedminded
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
It just does.....How do you know it works? You can't test both ways on the same can...

How do you figure?Because for the last 30 years there have been clear plastic bottles allowing you to see exactly how carbon dioxide rises since it's lighter than air. Do you see people tap the top of 2-liter plastic bottles before opening?

ISAtlanta300
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Because for the last 30 years there have been clear plastic bottles allowing you to see exactly how carbon dioxide rises since it's lighter than air. Do you see people tap the top of 2-liter plastic bottles before opening?

I do... especially if it has been rolling around in my front seat or floorboard of my car...... no spray guaranteed. lol