PDA

View Full Version : Sub Problem !

ej1boy93
04-03-2010, 07:07 PM
ok i cant post in the audio section so dont flame me. anyways my sub doesnt hit right. i dont know how to properly adjust the LPF and HPF. the sub only vibrates a little. u can barely notice, but when i turn the LPF up it hits harder but then the amp goes into protector mode. the amp is a Sony Xplode. i dont know what the deal is. i ran 8 gauge power wire to the amp and still the same problem. so help me out guys.

Stuntman G
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Some info would be helpful.

Amp model/ratings?

Type of sub(s)/ and rating?

What kind of box are you using? (I.E., ported/sealed)

quickdodgeŽ
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Sub as in submarine or as in subwoofer? Later, QD.

skeet
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Check all wiring including inside the sub box (remote, ground, 12v, positive, negative,). Is the sub wired in passive or active. Check if the sub has duel voice coils and if it's wire the correct way. How big is the amp and how much power can the sub handle?

The way it tend to do my set up is.

1. turn the gain all the way down until no sound from the sub.
2. turn on what ever music it is that you listen to.
3. set your bass to 0.
4. crank up the volume until your door/deck speakers start to distort then cut it back a bit.
5. go to your amp and put it on what ever filter you want i.e. high/low pass.
6. adjust gain until your sub distorts or until you think its enough for your listening pleasure if it distorts cut it back a bit.
7. turn your volume down to normal listening volume and then adjust your bass,mid,treb and what ever else you need to adjust.
8. turn your head unit off. if your sub starts vibrating while your head unit is off adjust gain down until it stops vibrating.

ej1boy93
04-03-2010, 08:09 PM
ok the subwoofer is a 12" MTX 6000, and the amp is a 600 watt Sony Xplode. Im using a fiber glass sealed box. Also what do u mean "gain." I have LPF and HPF on my amp and head unit. I think the sub can handle around 800 watts. Also what do u mean dual voice coils. ( how to check if it is or not ? )

Bacon
04-03-2010, 08:51 PM
If its going into Protect Mode, its a power issue. Is there a capacitor in use? Make sure your amp wiring is good and nothing is grounding out. Make sure you are using a clean ground too. Had this happen on a friend's amp and had to rewire it to stop.

ej1boy93
04-03-2010, 08:55 PM
well i know its not a power issue. because me and a friend took out the 10 gauge power wire and rewired it with a 8 gauge wire. it only goes in protect mode if i turn the LPF or HPF to high. Or if i turn the LPF to a level it will be fine but when i turn the volume up, it goes into protect mode. thats where im having problems at.

Bacon
04-03-2010, 09:00 PM
That would still be a power issue. Amps only go into Protect Mode if it senses more power than what the amp itself can handle. It will also go into Protect Mode if the battery voltage gets too low.

03RCode
04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
If this was in the Audio section instead of General Tech you may have better luck. PM B@d @pple who posts regularly in the Audio section, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

skeet
04-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Also check the fuse inside the amp.

ej1boy93
04-04-2010, 01:25 PM
well i had 10 gauge wire which was too small for the amp. so i got 8 gauge wire that is good for 680 watts.