PDA

View Full Version : iPad...Who's buying one or has one ?

punkr6
04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Discuss...

91LudeSiT
04-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I've contemplated it, my macbook pro just took a shit so I am without a laptop. I am scared to purchase a first gen apple product though, because we all know in September they will announce the second gen iPad

punkr6
04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I've contemplated it, my macbook pro just took a shit so I am without a laptop. I am scared to purchase a first gen apple product though, because we all know in September they will announce the second gen iPad

Yea, I'm trying to wait also, but I may go ahead and get it. I can always sell it when the 2nd gen comes out. I have a 3 month old MAcBooK Pro right now and love it. But I like the fact that it's so small and portable. Also you can get unlimited 3g internet for $30 a month with no contract...

91LudeSiT
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Yea, I'm trying to wait also, but I may go ahead and get it. I can always sell it when the 2nd gen comes out. I have a 3 month old MAcBooK Pro right now and love it. But I like the fact that it's so small and portable. Also you can get unlimited 3g internet for $30 a month with no contract...

Yes, but my problem is my current plan is with verizon and I don't live or work in an ATT service area, the wifi version would be fine for me. I was playing some of the games on it at best buy today, the real racing game is like playing forza, it was great, I'd love to have one but gotta save for a new laptop.

Bacon
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
My Droid does the same thing almost.

man
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Eh... I have yet to find a purpose for this thing. I would suggest you guys read some reviews before you drop $500, this is definitely not one of Apple's better products.

Bacon
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Eh... I have yet to find a purpose for this thing. I would suggest you guys read some reviews before you drop $500, this is definitely not one of Apple's better products.

x2. All you are buying is a much bigger iPhone. For the same price, you can get a full size laptop that has a disc drive built in. Fuck having to carry around an outboard disc drive.

punkr6
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
My Droid does the same thing almost.
not even close

I've been reading everything I can find, and watching all the news on it.

x2. All you are buying is a much bigger iPhone. For the same price, you can get a full size laptop that has a disc drive built in. Fuck having to carry around an outboard disc drive.
it's not made to replace your computer/laptop....

Bacon
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
it's not made to replace your computer/laptop....

didnt say it was but for the price of that thing, you can get something that does more.......assuming you dont already have a computer/laptop.

SPOOLIN
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
3g version wont be out for a few more weeks.

punkr6
04-03-2010, 09:55 PM
3g version wont be out for a few more weeks.

thats what I'm waiting on...

Ed
04-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Sweet iphone.

mmmmpsi
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Absolute piece of garbage that I hope puts Apple under..

http://cellairpalos.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/DROID.309100621_std.jpg

- Owns iCrap.

91LudeSiT
04-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Absolute piece of garbage that I hope puts Apple under..

http://cellairpalos.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/DROID.309100621_std.jpg

- Owns iCrap.

I don't think that's going to happen since they sold 700,000 on the first day.

Vteckidd
04-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Good business tool but pointless for the average consumer. My sister owns a photography business, and shes getting one to bring with her to client meetings to show them her photos instead of lugging her laptop and a portfolio with her. My dad said its a good idea for IT guys for like business meetings instead of passing out paper everyone has a Ipad or that HP Slate or whatever.

Other than that, its no real use. Apple people will buy it just to say they have it. But any Laptop or NetBook has much more practical use for the average consumer.

Lets see $500 for an IPAD with WIFI only or pay $30 a month for 3G service? For that price tag a Laptop just beats it in every way shape and form in terms of functionality.

For people that just want to do word processing and get on the internet, Apples are a huge waste of money as any PC can do that for 1/4 the price IMO. My opinion is most people that buy apples do it for a FAD when they dont really need one.

Da_unknown
04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Good business tool but pointless for the average consumer. My sister owns a photography business, and shes getting one to bring with her to client meetings to show them her photos instead of lugging her laptop and a portfolio with her. My dad said its a good idea for IT guys for like business meetings instead of passing out paper everyone has a Ipad or that HP Slate or whatever.

Other than that, its no real use. Apple people will buy it just to say they have it. But any Laptop or NetBook has much more practical use for the average consumer.

Lets see $500 for an IPAD with WIFI only or pay $30 a month for 3G service? For that price tag a Laptop just beats it in every way shape and form in terms of functionality.

For people that just want to do word processing and get on the internet, Apples are a huge waste of money as any PC can do that for 1/4 the price IMO. My opinion is most people that buy apples do it for a FAD when they dont really need one.

thats samething i had a discussion about yesterday... not to mention the shit had me working late friday and all day saturday deliverying them bitches(work for UPS)...

bdydrpdmazda
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
do not want...

punkr6
04-04-2010, 09:36 PM
ordered mine today, 32gb 3g, I'll let you guys know how great it is soon...

punkr6
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/personaltech/01pogue.html?ex=1285732800&en=ec9490deaa7ed446&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=TE-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M143b-ROS-0410-PH&WT.mc_ev=click

Vteckidd
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
I can see it EVENTUALLY taking over like portable DVD players and such. But at its current size an weight its just not feasible. And the storage space isnt big enough. Again, a $400 Netbook with a 14in screen has a 300 gig HD, wireless card, and can play 1080P movies just as well. Sure you dont have the Apple Apps but thats what my Iphone is for.

Do i really want to play skeeball on a fucking bigger screen?

I still do not see the point at all.

Vteckidd
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh i suppose people will also say it has this new E-Book fad that is going around where you read books on this stupid reader. My prediction is that in the next 2-3 years when the sales of these E-Book contraptions tank because people dont want to be carrying around their E-book, Iphone, Laptop, Ipod all together that someone will come out with a way to integrate it into a PC (if its not already done).

I dont see why Amazon couldnt offer direct digital downloads off their website of popular books. IM sure once that comes out it will render this E-Book fad obsolete.

My mom got one for xmas and it was the most retarded thing ive ever seen. No backlight, small text, it was just a horrible product and it was $400! Waste of money, just like the Ipad for most people IMO

mmmmpsi
04-05-2010, 06:13 AM
700,000 the first day and 5 the second day..

mmmmpsi
04-05-2010, 06:16 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2010-04-04-apple-ipad-sales_N.htm

wow.. losers. I love the reasoning why they want a iPAD.. haha "Cause Steve Jobs runs my life".. "Cause my iPhone isn't big enough to go to social networking sites"
ugh.

Ed
04-05-2010, 06:47 AM
oh look... it looks exactly the same but better...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/the-hp-slate/

man
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/personaltech/01pogue.html?ex=1285732800&en=ec9490deaa7ed446&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=TE-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M143b-ROS-0410-PH&WT.mc_ev=click

Good review, pretty much nailed it right on the head. The Ipad is not a productive machine, it is meant for consumers. That's why there is so much debate over it, some people like to work on and make things, some people just want to use stuff.

punkr6
04-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Good review, pretty much nailed it right on the head. The Ipad is not a productive machine, it is meant for consumers. That's why there is so much debate over it, some people like to work on and make things, some people just want to use stuff.

yea, I must say I'm pretty surprised at how many people hate on it here. But, I love my MacBook Pro and all my iPods as well. This is more of a new toy for me, It's not like I need it. Their will always be people that talk down on things they haven't even seen or held in their hands and thats kinda sad really....

man
04-05-2010, 01:25 PM
yea, I must say I'm pretty surprised at how many people hate on it here. But, I love my MacBook Pro and all my iPods as well. This is more of a new toy for me, It's not like I need it. Their will always be people that talk down on things they haven't even seen or held in their hands and thats kinda sad really....

Yeah but this is true for the other side as well, there are just as many people out there that will say this is the greatest product ever made before they try it. I use a MacBook Pro and iPods/iPhones every day and don't mind them. But the iPad has no place for me, I don't need any more distractions, lol.

punkr6
04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I&feature=player_embedded#

91LudeSiT
04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Thats pretty cool, you should make a car dock like that for yours. I love pandora...

Camrazy2102
04-06-2010, 06:05 AM
pretty cool video, but it's open opportunity to get your vehicle jack by someone lol

Vteckidd
04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
you can plug your existing IPHONE or IPOD TOUCH into your car and listen to Pandora way faster than installing an IPAD into a car, and way cheaper.

Still pointless. You get a big screen, yay. You can read books maybe on the ipad?

ISAtlanta300
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
The Ipad maxi pad fad... ugh.. I can already see them yuppies at starbucks surfing on their ipad... "like, look at me, duuuudeeee. i'm like surfing on my ipad.. maaan.. it's shiny n shit.. look at the glossy screeeen maaaaann'

fucking posers.

mmmmpsi
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
mmmmmm Starbucks..

BOOO Pad.. I'd take a slate over that anyday.. 3G already & expandable, not to mention Flash, Dual Processing & 1080p.. I'll wait and IF I ever find a need to get one I'll get a Slate from HP.

ISAtlanta300
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Introducing the 'new' Ipad... LOL

This is exactly what it is....

TokinBongz
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
The Lenovo S10-3T Retail: $499.99 - Ipad killer http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S10-3t-netbook-tablet.jpg

VIP Style
04-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I think the ipad would be something thats cool to have. Does anyone know if the ipad can function as a wireless router, the palm pre plus does, thats a pretty cool feature IMO.

Vteckidd
04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
my mom got an IPAD, ill mess with it this weekend and let you know what i think

Ed
04-10-2010, 08:06 AM
http://www.macworld.com/article/150474/2010/04/ipad_not_for_everyone.html

Maki
04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I am a big apple fan but i think this is a mistake, i mean if it came with an open OS like 10.6 then maybe it would be ok but with the closed one (iPhone OS) this is junk no to mention the lack of everything practical. I am normally an Apple supporter but this is seriously a "Me TOO" item. No practical use, atleast not $500 worth of practical use. Sadly i must say i would rather an HP unit if i ever needed a pad of any type. Sorry Apple, you fail with this one.

MacBook still rules tho

mmmmpsi
04-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I am a big apple fan but i think this is a mistake, i mean if it came with an open OS like 10.6 then maybe it would be ok but with the closed one (iPhone OS) this is junk no to mention the lack of everything practical. I am normally an Apple supporter but this is seriously a "Me TOO" item. No practical use, atleast not $500 worth of practical use. Sadly i must say i would rather an HP unit if i ever needed a pad of any type. Sorry Apple, you fail with this one.

MacBook still rules tho

I'm not a fan of Apple but it scares me a lot for the sake of Apple when people post stuff like this.. HEY I'm not at all against trying out new technologies, but there is nothing new about this other than a big screen.. In my opinion they have went BACKWARDS when it comes to technology by taking a lot of the common technologies out of it. (No USB, no expansion slot & no 3G in the first version) YES i know you can get around the no 3G by tethering but honestly who wants to mess with that all the time..

I seriously believe this is a big failure for Apple, they are not the innovative company they used to be.. And dare I say.. "DARE DARE".. Apple is the new Microsoft. :O

However, you can't argue a 241.00 stock price.. if anyone bought at 34.00 in 2005 congrats and you probably own 10 iPads by now. :P

OG-Skinny
04-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't own anything apple, other than the stock. I loved how I bought my stock way back when it just hit 120ish dollars. Now it's on its way to 250. Thank you consumers who have to have the latest thing. :)

Vteckidd
04-11-2010, 09:22 PM
K I spent 2 hours with one today off an on. Still not convinced it's useful for average consumer. Everything it has my iPhone has or my moms MacBook has. As a media device it's cool to watch movies on it as it is very light, but I can't imagine going somewhere you are travelling long enough to watch a movie and NOT bring your laptop.

Using to play mp3s is retarded obviously it's so big a standard iPod is much more practical.

The only useful thing I saw was the reader that was pretty cool. Digital books you can download and use and read. But is that really worth $500? I'd rather buy the $16 book personally

fail

dsmwookie
04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I will probably buy the HP slate but only after playing with the Ipad and finding it very fun. My whole intention for this device is to tune my car and watch movies on road trips. The glare from these pads is awesome compared to my laptop. My current laptop only has 120min life capacity, this is due to it being a gaming laptop and not for the everyday user. Sure a netbook could do all this and save me 200-300$, but I want mobiity, battery life, and easy touch screen rocks versus a clunky ass netbook pad. If I wanted to use the HP Slate as a laptop replacement no problem, you can simply pack a rubber USB keyboard for when you need to type extensively.

My main desire for this is media and tuning (this being the largest). I have a netbook and Asus G51, it would still be worth it to purchase an HP Slate.

JDM onlyy
04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
IAgain, a $400 Netbook with a 14in screen has a 300 gig HD, wireless card, and can play 1080P movies just as well. Sure you dont have the Apple Apps but thats what my Iphone is for.

At those specs, that would be a laptop, not a netbook. Hell, my macbook is only a 13.3 inch screen or something like that.

JDM onlyy
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Oh i suppose people will also say it has this new E-Book fad that is going around where you read books on this stupid reader. My prediction is that in the next 2-3 years when the sales of these E-Book contraptions tank because people dont want to be carrying around their E-book, Iphone, Laptop, Ipod all together that someone will come out with a way to integrate it into a PC (if its not already done).

I dont see why Amazon couldnt offer direct digital downloads off their website of popular books. IM sure once that comes out it will render this E-Book fad obsolete.

My mom got one for xmas and it was the most retarded thing ive ever seen. No backlight, small text, it was just a horrible product and it was $400! Waste of money, just like the Ipad for most people IMO

They actually have e-book for Windows and are developing one for Mac. They're already out for the iPhone.

bdydrpdmazda
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I played with the Ipad today and that shit was the shit, for folks that spend a lot of time traveling I would think its a must. I played rock band with it and it was as fun as the real thing. I think ill get one on the second or third gen one...

Glade
04-15-2010, 12:18 AM
the only reason id want one is the video of them putting it in the car, thats pretty fire shit lol