PDA

View Full Version : Engine Plans!!!!

BluJean
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
(Before I get started Andrew your input would be valuable since your a teg guy, but appreciate any and all serious input)

I'm preparing to sit down and really start my blueprints for my teg as far as upgrades and what not. And at the same time making a realistic budget for myself. I pretty much know what I'm going to do for the interior, and somewhat set on exterior (don't know if I'm going to stay all blue, or do blue with carbon fiber/black top). However, I am asking for advice on the engine. I know the b18b1 is a sound engine, and could take some bolt-ons. BUt wanted to get feedback from some folks that KNOW engines!!!!

steelmatt6
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
This link is going to be your best friend! It's mine

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/listArticles.asp?Show=1

What are your estimated goals? There are so many things we can do with B18B engines.
Camshafts
LS/VTEC
Supercharge or Turbocharge
Fully N/A Built Engines.................it all depends on the budget, knowledge, power goals, reliability, how much you want to work on it, and how fast you want to go!
I am right there with ya! Planning my engine build as well.

Here are some more links:

If your really planning on an NA build: http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?79418-KEEP-IT-SIMPLE-Vteckidds-Guide-to-NA
those are some results.

If you want to go big and turbocharge, Team Integra has a bunch of information on Turbos, and so does this site. But there are also many members in Top Notch that know about turbos! :) (This site as well)

BluJean
04-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Honestly I want something thats going to be reliable, enhance overall top end, and give a little more off of the line. I just got of the phone with a guy from accuformance and he was suggesting just turboing the engine and I'm looking at spending around $2200 (parts and labor-since I dont have the knowledge to do the thing myself). Thanks for the links!!!!! Trying to educate myself as much as possible!

Endless3763
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Honestly I want something thats going to be reliable, enhance overall top end, and give a little more off of the line. I just got of the phone with a guy from accuformance and he was suggesting just turboing the engine and I'm looking at spending around $2200 (parts and labor-since I dont have the knowledge to do the thing myself). Thanks for the links!!!!! Trying to educate myself as much as possible!

id say get a stroker kit and sleeve it it's a all in one shot instead of buying seperate da only thing in da way is the labor...

Motivation
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
H22

/thread

Motivation
04-01-2010, 09:28 PM
What is the condition of the motor in it? Mileage, smoke any, etc? That determines if it would be a good idea to "just throw a turbo on it"

lovinmydodge
04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
yeah, at any point of this build, If you don't have a solid starting point, as soon as you add any stress, your going to destroy the internals... I blew out the bottom end of my 84 stang.... I put the 2.3 L 4 banger I had under a lot of stress, And I took a turbo from a 83 GT with the turbo 2.3 and tried to run that. off 5 psi.... well I spun a bearing, and broke a rod.... IT isn't fun rebuilding an engine thats all chewed up. Because thats replacing the block and 95 % of the internals.

If your going to do any moderate mods to the engine, go thru the engine and upgrade anything that may be considered a weak link...

I would first look at your crank, your cam, and all your seals, Make sure your oil pump will be able to keep up with the extra power, Then your clutch and trans, also your cv axels... then I would worry about the pistons, the heads, and last your intake and manifold, then exhaust.

make sure your block is bullet proof b4 adding any sort of boost.

If I missed anything please add in...

O also some fuel injectors and your fuel rail....

might be able to do an all moter teg... nice decent cam, port and polished heads, bored over a little, *( not too much so you can't drive it daily tho..) exhaust, intake ect and remap, also a chip and what not....

all different ideas... sorry for such a long post..

bloodline
04-01-2010, 11:51 PM
:goodjob:hey bro..what kinda power you trying to put down? how much are you willing to spend also..i say ask yourself that first, then we can figure out what direction you want to go..

steelmatt6
04-02-2010, 12:09 AM
^
Exactly. Honestly, in my opinion, the best way to go would be an NA build if you want reliability. Keep most of your stock internals, change out the cams, and make it an LS/VTEC. My guess is, with a NA build
might be able to do an all moter teg... nice decent cam, port and polished heads, bored over a little, *( not too much so you can't drive it daily tho..) exhaust, intake ect and remap, also a chip and what not.... you'll be able to push over 200HP with a $2,500 goal.

BTW, a turbo kit bought and installed for $2,200 is not possible! For a REAL good one atleast. You're not going to like this figure, but me and a lot of other TI guys agree that when you build an engine, buy a turbo set up, have it tuned and installed, your MINIMUM budget should be $5,000. With another 1 or 2K for emergeny repairs. Because things will break.

This figure is pretty rough, but I highly reccommend being prepared for turbocharging. Now, you can buy ebay crap and switch out the bad parts (ex. Turbo, wastegate) but it's just not worth it in my opinion. Personally, I was thinking about building a turbo LS with 350BHP/250-300WHP, but I can get around 220 (which is still 63% more power than I have now) for a lot cheaper, and it would be more reliable. Just my 2 cents!

gforce71
04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
ok, you need to figure out the power goal and budget first. before you do that its hard to recommend things. you could prolly do a solid N/A build for around 2-3000. and a turbo build for around 4-5000. it really depends on your answer to my first question.