PDA

View Full Version : recommended cams for b16a

jdm-civic
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
im in the market for a set of cams for the ol' b16 and i want to know some opinions on different cams out there. opinions?

RedEj8
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Will this be a street car? Headwork? Will you be upgrading valvetrain? Will you be tuning with anything? What are your goals?

jdm-civic
04-02-2010, 12:09 AM
yes street/daily driver. no headwork and no valvetrain upgrades.just a drop and go, just want something better then these automatic b16 cams i have

RedEj8
04-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Well your safest bet is gsr cams but i'm not sure if it will require any tuning. Your next safest bet is ITR cams but these will require tuning. It's a good idea to upgrade the valvetrain with these but you don't really have to if you're keeping the stock rev limit. It's still a good idea to upgrade old tired springs with any cam upgrade though.

I would recommend you upgrade to something that can be tuned first.. CromePro is good and free. Just get a socketed ECU and find a cromepro tuner.

punkr6
04-02-2010, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=RedEj8;38952075]Well your safest bet is gsr cams but i'm not sure if it will require any tuning. Your next safest bet is ITR cams but these will require tuning. It's a good idea to upgrade the valvetrain with these but you don't really have to if you're keeping the stock rev limit. It's still a good idea to upgrade old tired springs with any cam upgrade though.

I would recommend you upgrade to something that can be tuned first..

x2, But I would spend the money on a b20/ls bottom end instead and make some real power....

jdm-civic
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
is chromepro compatible with obd0?

punkr6
04-02-2010, 12:30 AM
is chromepro compatible with obd0?

convert to obd1 and chrome pro that bitch...

jdm-civic
04-02-2010, 12:34 AM
or since i already have the b16 head, should i just go for lsv or b20v instead? im just looking for more power, when i had the probe i had no problem, but with this, its like i have nothing until 7k.........

punkr6
04-02-2010, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=RedEj8;38952075]Well your safest bet is gsr cams but i'm not sure if it will require any tuning. Your next safest bet is ITR cams but these will require tuning. It's a good idea to upgrade the valvetrain with these but you don't really have to if you're keeping the stock rev limit. It's still a good idea to upgrade old tired springs with any cam upgrade though.

I would recommend you upgrade to something that can be tuned first..

x2, But I would spend the money on a b20/ls bottom end instead and make some real power....

or since i already have the b16 head, should i just go for lsv or b20v instead? im just looking for more power, when i had the probe i had no problem, but with this, its like i have nothing until 7k.........

as I just said...

jdm-civic
04-02-2010, 12:39 AM
ok. but the main considering factor is money, thats why im looking for cheap upgrades for a improvement over stock. other than headers and intake, what else is there to do to these vtec motors to get some gains?

RedEj8
04-02-2010, 03:51 AM
You aren't going to get much gain with a stock B16 with a header and intake. You'll have to convert to obd1 so you can get it tuned and then you can really start to see the gains. Nothing is cheap with going fast. If you do ls-vtec you'll still have to go obd1 and get a tunable ecu. Throw a gsr block under the b16 head, put some nice cams(like Skunk2 Pro 1's), valvetrain, a good header, good intake manifold with a bigger throttlebody, get it tuned and you should be fairly happy. But what I just said is probably at least $2000 unless you can find everything used or some good deals.

Really...I'd just convert to obd1 and turbo that bitch.. Run 7-8 psi and be happy.