PDA

View Full Version : HID colors

mi_ll_i
03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Now I know HIDs in stock housings are illegal period, but we all get away with it with them aimed low. Now, what are the "legal" HID colors though here in GA? I already know damn well some 8k's and up are a given ticket but what about 3k? I read somewhere that the legal colors are white, the OEM off white and yellow but im sure not like gold yellow 2500k and under. Bascially im asking if i get 3k heads and fogs will i get alot of trouble?:???:

Bacon
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Yellow isn't legal that I am aware of but 6K is all around the best kelvin to use. Not too blue but still bright. All the other colors are just for show anyways and don't emit enough usable light.

mi_ll_i
03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
yeah, i had 6k not too long ago then one of my lights went out so im back oem lights. i totally agree 6k is the best for light and looks. Just wana try something new, more toward looks.

Bacon
03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Function over form. Get purple HIDs.....get in wreck cuz you can't see.........cop points this out.....extra ticket......more money out of pocket to pay for extra ticket......still need to get new lights.....back to square one

If you get the right kit, the reflector is mounted right under the bulb so that is reflects it up into the housing where it shines low on the ground.

mi_ll_i
03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
yeah i think im gonna go for the 3k all around, aim the headlights down. I know 3k is great in the rain and night vision i know isnt that great but im sure they'll be just fine. Im just tired of the played out 8k heads and 3k fogs.

Bacon
03-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Called my brother who is an APD officer and he said yellow is fine in the front, blue "by the books" isn't legal but if your 8Ks are not strobing then you should be fine. Red can only be on the back and certain shades of blue may get you pulled over if the cop has nothing better to do. I always go with 6K headlights and keep halgen yellow bulbs in the foglights. HID fogs can get real bright if not done right.

mi_ll_i
03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
dude thanks.lol. wasnt expecting a legit officer answer.lmfaoooo. thats badass. ill go for it. 3k all around.

Bacon
03-31-2010, 08:08 PM
no worries :goodjob:

oneSLOWex
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
What are they going in? Might want to consider doing a retrofit too :goodjob:

Bacon
03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
What are they going in? Might want to consider doing a retrofit too :goodjob:

If I could find someone to do a good retrofit for the Sol, I would go that route. I have never seen any non-stock projectors aim properly. Even though the HIDs in my Focus are OEM housings, they don't aim right. Most of the light is splotchy and not in a perfect beam.

mi_ll_i
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
yeah retrofit would be the way to go. plus the cut offs are sexy.lol. im gonna do a tsx retrofit when i get the money but for now there going in a 01 civic. got alot of plans for it, nothing amazing cuz ummm...i barely beat a girl on a tricycle with it. just gonna make it a nice DD til i graduate college and get somethin real.

oneSLOWex
03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
If I could find someone to do a good retrofit for the Sol, I would go that route. I have never seen any non-stock projectors aim properly. Even though the HIDs in my Focus are OEM housings, they don't aim right. Most of the light is splotchy and not in a perfect beam.
ehh...even oem halogen projectors suck from what ive seen. I have been doing alot of research lately and it doesnt seem that bad. Also, if you get a good projector it shouldnt be that hard to aim.
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=178&osCsid=a5e9089bbaf40989b16e8e233bffeb15 check out that kit...you can use the PnP ballast if you already have them so no wiring needed.

oneSLOWex
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
yeah retrofit would be the way to go. plus the cut offs are sexy.lol. im gonna do a tsx retrofit when i get the money but for now there going in a 01 civic. got alot of plans for it, nothing amazing cuz ummm...i barely beat a girl on a tricycle with it. just gonna make it a nice DD til i graduate college and get somethin real.
I hear a J swap will fit under the hood with good ground clearance ;)

mi_ll_i
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
from what i see on my gens forums a k24 swap is a beast in em but college is whoopin my wallets ass so i can deal with my 1.7L vtec bb gun for now

oneSLOWex
03-31-2010, 08:38 PM
from what i see on my gens forums a k24 swap is a beast in em but college is whoopin my wallets ass so i can deal with my 1.7L vtec bb gun for now

ehhh....you can do the same thing with half the $$ with a B series

Bacon
03-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I will look into those retro-kits one day but for now I am dropping all my extra cash into the swap. thanks for the link though. :goodjob:

oneSLOWex
03-31-2010, 08:46 PM
I will look into those retro-kits one day but for now I am dropping all my extra cash into the swap. thanks for the link though. :goodjob:
not a problem sirr