PDA

View Full Version : DIY on cuting springs?

809KiNg
03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
anybody know how to??? yea yea yea idc if you dont think i should do it...

skacore
03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't think you should do it.

ScottyS10
03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
take a ziz wheel to them, one coil at a time?
get ready for a shitty ride.

MINI
03-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Dude if you have a honda, it's like 40 bucks for some "coilovers" on ebay. I still have no idea why honda people cut when they can just buy them for so cheap

MINI
03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Excuse me... 50 bucks.. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93-Accord-Scale-Lowering-Springs-Coilover-BU_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e5ecec0QQitemZ290 419822272QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories)

Example

BKgen®
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
"Cuting"? Not sure how you'd go about making springs cuter. They're not very cute to begin with.

wanggsticky
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Excuse me... 50 bucks.. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93-Accord-Scale-Lowering-Springs-Coilover-BU_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e5ecec0QQitemZ290 419822272QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories)

Example

yeah but the ride is extra bouncy . cutting is the cheapest way and it provides a more smoother ride than getting ebay coilovers

XanRules
03-31-2010, 08:21 PM
yeah but the ride is extra bouncy . cutting is the cheapest way and it provides a more smoother ride than getting ebay coilovers

more smoother?
you dumb motherfucker.
Save yourself the trouble and buy some springs, OP, because you're a dumb motherfucker, too.

809KiNg
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
qd done it... any advice from him?....

i heard it was better then geting ebay coilovers

ftp
03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
just take a cutoff wheel(zizz wheel) and cut a coil off and see if lowers t enough for your liking. just dont put a torch to em and youll be fine

allmotorEJ8
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM

i heard it was better then geting ebay coilovers

I believe he heated his. I've had cut springs and their not bad compared to cheap ass ebays.

speedminded
03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
yeah but the ride is extra bouncy . cutting is the cheapest way and it provides a more smoother ride than getting ebay coiloversAnd you know this from experience or what you read on the internet?

i heard it was better then geting ebay coiloversHe doesn't cut springs, he heats them.

78f150boi
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
i really dont think so. but good luck we had ebay sprinds on a 93 civic lx and it wasent that bad. but gl on cutting them bro

mikethumbs92
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
my brother had cut springs on his s13 and it rode like shit so a week and a half later he wised up and bought springs and struts

quickdodge®
04-01-2010, 04:07 AM

I believe he heated his.

He doesn't cut springs, he heats them.

Exactly. I am "anti-cut" and "pro-heat" lolol. Later, QD.

Catnip
04-01-2010, 04:55 AM
I'm pro-cut, but I did heat the springs that I had on my hatch. Only lowered it probably a 1/2", but it was exactly the stance I wanted.

QD has a shit ton of experience with heating, where I have only experience with cut springs on about 5-7 cars, so take his advice :goodjob:

Elbow
04-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Only morons believe cutting springs is bad. Half the idiots with shitty riding cars from cut springs cut WAY too much off and didn't do it even, they probably also have crappy rest of the suspension.

If you're going to do it, to do it right it will take a few hours at the least. One by one, very close measuring, test fitting, lowering the car back down, etc. I've had three cars on cut springs and they all rode close to stock, sorry but if I decided to buy aftermarket suspension to make it STIFFER than it couldn't of been that bumpy.

Also make sure you cut to where the spring will set right again, if you need to heat it at the tip to make it seat, do that. It also never hurts to have another set of springs in case you fuck up. IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO NOT CUT ENOUGH THAN TO CUT TOO MUCH. Take your time.

Cutting springs has a bad rep because it's cheap and lets face it a lot of broke ricers do it. I personally would much rather have eBay coilovers on a Civic or something, much stiffer. However those who bash cut springs fail to realize how many people have done it and experimented with it in the big world. Tons of race teams have messed with it to try t et different spring rates. Even a book, maybe "Chassis Engineering" recommends cutting springs for a low app street car.

809KiNg
04-01-2010, 07:58 AM
thanks, i will be doing this soon

809KiNg
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Exactly. I am "anti-cut" and "pro-heat" lolol. Later, QD.

i was looking around for diy's on heating springs and found this http://www.ehow.com/how_5561156_heat-springs-lower-car.html is that how its done?

oneSLOWex
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm not saying you are an idiot or anything...but i have seen it done....cut the TOP of the spring not the bottom. A friend of mine got a car not too long ago for a good price, we checked out the suspension for him after he had the car in his hands. Well, turns out the fools before him cut the spring from the bottom and the spring ran about 2 rounds past the spring seat before the spring actually sat on it.

Anyway, I have been in several cars with cut spring and they didnt ride too damn bad. Just dont cut too much as others have already said.

speedminded
04-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm not saying you are an idiot or anything...but i have seen it done....cut the TOP of the spring not the bottom. A friend of mine got a car not too long ago for a good price, we checked out the suspension for him after he had the car in his hands. Well, turns out the fools before him cut the spring from the bottom and the spring ran about 2 rounds past the spring seat before the spring actually sat on it.

Anyway, I have been in several cars with cut spring and they didnt ride too damn bad. Just dont cut too much as others have already said.Cutting springs increases the spring rate. If the current shocks are blown or on their way to being blown they will be once they are paired up with cut springs. The ONLY reason why cut springs will ride harshly is if the shocks are blown. Until then they will ride pretty much like stock.

MINI
04-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm sorry but I still would never modify springs. lol and y'all call me a ricer :p

speedminded
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry but I still would never modify springs. lol and y'all call me a ricer :pYou act as if a spring is such a complex item it can't be modified.

Elbow
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry but I still would never modify springs. lol and y'all call me a ricer :p

I guess some really big name racing teams are ricers too then. :no:

RL...
04-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Whether cutting or heating springs is safe or not aside, if you can't afford $100-200 for springs wtf are you doing modifying cars!? You need to take the little money you have and save it or buy your kid some diapers because you're obviously broke. First it's going to be cut springs, then a rattle can paint job, etc....

do things right the first time=best advice ever

for suspension full coilovers are the only way to go imo

quickdodge®
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
i was looking around for diy's on heating springs and found this http://www.ehow.com/how_5561156_heat-springs-lower-car.html is that how its done?

Pretty much so. The only thing that was left out is when you're heating up one side of a coil, after you're don with that particular spot, you move to the opposite side of that same coil and heat it until it reaches the same position as the previous side.

"Ricer" for heating/cutting springs? Come on, man. Overusing the word much? This way of lowering has been around for far longer than the word "rice" was being used to describe cars modifying. It's been around for longer than you've been alive. Even longer than I've been alive.

if you can't afford $100-200 for springs wtf are you doing modifying cars!? You need to take the little money you have and save it or buy your kid some diapers because you're obviously broke. First it's going to be cut springs, then a rattle can paint job, etc....

You couldn't be more wrong. I'm not broke at all and I still heat springs on my cars. It's naive to think this way.

More naivety here. You're right, but not in the sense that you're trying to be. Best advice ever (in this regard) IS to do it right the first time. That's why you need to know what you're doing when you do this sort of thing. That's why it always works for me. Later, QD.

Theycall_Metue
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
do it right :goodjob::goodjob:

JITB
04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
its easy:

take off the strut
disassemble
get a cutting wheel or grinding wheel air compressor, or a some sort of power tool, or some shit that will cut metal.

and cut it..

my springs are cut, and im all good, until the struts blew...

Catnip
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Seeing some peoples suspension work is scary.

Anyway, I have been in several cars with cut spring and they didnt ride too damn bad. Just dont cut too much as others have already said.

So you're saying the name-brand after market spring had a stiffer spring rate than the cut springs? What you're saying is, the Eibachs would handle better by saying the cut springs rode softer :)

CAPS LOCK
04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
wat im say is that, i dont spill my coffee in the morning going over a speed bump.

and my aftermarket sping is bouncy when i roll over a bump.

oneSLOWex
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Seeing some peoples suspension work is scary.

LOL thats what Im saying. Not saying cut springs are bad....but work like what we found blows my mind. I mean do these people not see that their lives and others on the road with them depend on this shitty work?

quickdodge®
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
its easy:

take off the strut
disassemble
get a cutting wheel or grinding wheel air compressor, or a some sort of power tool, or some shit that will cut metal.

and cut it..

my springs are cut, and im all good, until the struts blew...

This is another reason why heating is better. It's easier to do. No tools necessary. Nothing to take off. Literally.

LOL thats what Im saying. Not saying cut springs are bad....but work like what we found blows my mind. I mean do these people not see that their lives and others on the road with them depend on this shitty work?

But that's someone not knowing what they're doing. Not someone doing something unsafe. Later, QD.

Elbow
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Whether cutting or heating springs is safe or not aside, if you can't afford $100-200 for springs wtf are you doing modifying cars!? You need to take the little money you have and save it or buy your kid some diapers because you're obviously broke. First it's going to be cut springs, then a rattle can paint job, etc....

for suspension full coilovers are the only way to go imo

do it right :goodjob::goodjob:

Some people HAVE money and choose to do other things to their car because they like DIY or they don't want to spend $200 on springs that ride the exact same as cut springs. Have YOU cut springs? Any experience? I doubt it. It's like calling a car slow that you've never driven.

Doing things right the first time, sure, makes sense, but cutting springs may be right to someone, on both my E30's cut springs were great, they were ALMOST stock ride quality with a better look, BMW springs are pricey, I got the EXACT same benefit as I would have if I spent $350 on name brand springs. Most people just want that name brand thing for their car, nobody wants to say "oh it has cut springs."

Full coilovers are the only way to go? Yeah, they're great on race cars or on cars where you USE them. Why would a regular street car need full coilovers? How often do half the people with full coilovers adjust rebound? How many even know what they do? That's a stupid comment, it ALL depends on what the car is used for. There is NOTHING wrong with just springs.

nismo1987
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Look people cutting springs has its ups and downs!!!!!!!!!!! I wrked on and rode in many cars wit stock cut springs,aftermarket cut springs, egay coilovers, Full coilover setup, you name it.......... It all depends on how you wanna ride........... To me it easy as 1,2,3 Just go as you were replacing the strut take spring and start cutting( but cut from top.... Ya full coilover setup can be nice but some brands ride like shit...... There is nothing wrong wit cutting stock springs... Its cheap and lazy but hey everybody cant afford..... Hell seen couple of people talking bout stop being cheap and just buy some afermarket springs..... Shit I did I got some tein springs ( and no not that fake ebay green ones) when I put them on it wasnt low enough for me.... So I cut them.....

Elbow
04-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Look people cutting springs has its ups and downs!!!!!!!!!!! I wrked on and rode in many cars wit stock cut springs,aftermarket cut springs, egay coilovers, Full coilover setup, you name it.......... It all depends on how you wanna ride........... To me it easy as 1,2,3 Just go as you were replacing the strut take spring and start cutting( but cut from top.... Ya full coilover setup can be nice but some brands ride like shit...... There is nothing wrong wit cutting stock springs... Its cheap and lazy but hey everybody cant afford..... Hell seen couple of people talking bout stop being cheap and just buy some afermarket springs..... Shit I did I got some tein springs ( and no not that fake ebay green ones) when I put them on it wasnt low enough for me.... So I cut them.....

I had Tein springs and they were 20x worse then any cut spring I've had, they rode like stock springs, real soft, totally waste of money, so yeah, name brand doesn't mean shit neither does the cost of things.

SOHC1
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I THINK I SEEN YOUR CAR IN MY NEIGH....I WAS WALKING WHEN U "FLEW BY"..... YOU DONT WANNA DO IT DUDE...UNLESS U THAT POOR TO BUY BRAND NEW COIL-OVERS FROM EBAY...JUST SAYING....YOU GONNA BE BOUNCY AS FAWK...I WENT THROUGHT IT AND REALLY DONT RECOMEND IT...

RL...
04-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Some people HAVE money and choose to do other things to their car because they like DIY or they don't want to spend $200 on springs that ride the exact same as cut springs. Have YOU cut springs? Any experience? I doubt it. It's like calling a car slow that you've never driven.

Doing things right the first time, sure, makes sense, but cutting springs may be right to someone, on both my E30's cut springs were great, they were ALMOST stock ride quality with a better look, BMW springs are pricey, I got the EXACT same benefit as I would have if I spent $350 on name brand springs. Most people just want that name brand thing for their car, nobody wants to say "oh it has cut springs."

Full coilovers are the only way to go? Yeah, they're great on race cars or on cars where you USE them. Why would a regular street car need full coilovers? How often do half the people with full coilovers adjust rebound? How many even know what they do? That's a stupid comment, it ALL depends on what the car is used for. There is NOTHING wrong with just springs.

If cutting springs was truly as safe/effective as buying aftermarket springs I'm sure atleast 2 things would happen:
1) the suspension aftermarket wouldn't be nearly as big as it is since eveyone can cut springs for 1/4 of the price and yield the equal benefits...suppliers like tein and koni would go out of business because no one would buy their stuff because according to you cut/heat springs do the same thing but cheaper and thus everyone would jump on this bandwagon.....much like how everyone started spray painting their wheels when it became known it was a cheap alternative to getting them professionally painted/powdercoated.
2) damn near everyone would do it..... I know a couple of ppl who auto-x and drag and they don't use cut/heated springs...they use coilovers....and I don't personally know anyone who uses cut/heated springs that has a car that can handle well

Full coilovers are awesome because you can adjust them so many ways, also....after these cut springs blow your struts then what!? exactly....now you have to get new struts so you prob should've just gotten coilovers from the start

Elbow
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
If cutting springs was truly as safe/effective as buying aftermarket springs I'm sure atleast 2 things would happen:
1) the suspension aftermarket wouldn't be nearly as big as it is since eveyone can cut springs for 1/4 of the price and yield the equal benefits...suppliers like tein and koni would go out of business because no one would buy their stuff because according to you cut/heat springs do the same thing but cheaper and thus everyone would jump on this bandwagon.....much like how everyone started spray painting their wheels when it became known it was a cheap alternative to getting them professionally painted/powdercoated.
2) damn near everyone would do it..... I know a couple of ppl who auto-x and drag and they don't use cut/heated springs...they use coilovers....and I don't personally know anyone who uses cut/heated springs that has a car that can handle well

Full coilovers are awesome because you can adjust them so many ways, also....after these cut springs blow your struts then what!? exactly....now you have to get new struts so you prob should've just gotten coilovers from the start

You're making yourself seem stupid. First off, no not everyone would do it, I'm not saying they're BETTER, but I am saying they ARE equal to cheap springs. I'd rather save $200 even if I had the $200 to spend on springs. That's just me. It has nothing to do with being rich or poor. People DO spend money to have name brand parts though, you can't argue there. It is true some people cut springs because they're cheap and have no money for anything else, however some cut them for reasons.

The racing thing I know a lot of people who run eBay coilovers and many pro teams who have experimented with cutting springs. You'd be surprised. Plus not all classes allow full coilovers.

Cut springs DO NOT blow struts or shocks more than a lowering spring, WHY would you think that??? Struts are cheap, coilovers are $1000+ for a DECENT setup. A set of coilover sleeves or really nice springs with adjustable shocks is just as good to most people as a full set of real adjustable coilovers. Why? People like you don't know how to use them correctly and can't drive that well so it doesn't matter WHAT you have it's how you use it. lol

My red E30 didn't handle bad at all with cut springs, the springs are not the only thing on suspension. It was the equivalent of me running some lower end say Tein Basics or something, if the spring rates were the same then not much else mattered.

allmotorEJ8
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I had cut springs on my old integra and civic back in 2000/2001. Never had a problem with struts "blowing out". Most folks who experience this problem already had worn out struts more than likely. I even cut my Teins on my civic that I recently had because they really didn't do anything and was a waste of good money. I agree with Simon about most folks with full coilovers don't even use them the way they were intended. If you feel you need that little bit of self esteem boost by saying "I've got _____ full coilovers.", then by all means do so if it makes you feel better. If you don't have any experience with them, then why open your mouth?

Elbow
04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I had cut springs on my old integra and civic back in 2000/2001. Never had a problem with struts "blowing out". Most folks who experience this problem already had worn out struts more than likely. I even cut my Teins on my civic that I recently had because they really didn't do anything and was a waste of good money. I agree with Simon about most folks with full coilovers don't even use them the way they were intended. If you feel you need that little bit of self esteem boost by saying "I've got _____ full coilovers.", then by all means do so if it makes you feel better. If you don't have any experience with them, then why open your mouth?

Exactly. Unless you cut the springs and have NO spring left, the struts will blow just the same with real lowering springs. Nothing about cut springs make them blow faster or more aggressively. lol

RsonGt3's
04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Yea if ur lowering a cb7 DO NOT get egay coilovers your shit WILL be bouncy ass fuck

quickdodge®
04-02-2010, 03:53 AM
If you don't have any experience with them, then why open your mouth?

That's my point. I have over 20 years experience with heated springs. All hands on, personal experience. No "he said/she said" bullshit. I'll take hands on experience over what someone THINKS they know. Later, QD.

RL...
04-02-2010, 10:26 AM
You're making yourself seem stupid. First off, no not everyone would do it, I'm not saying they're BETTER, but I am saying they ARE equal to cheap springs. I'd rather save $200 even if I had the $200 to spend on springs. That's just me. It has nothing to do with being rich or poor. People DO spend money to have name brand parts though, you can't argue there. It is true some people cut springs because they're cheap and have no money for anything else, however some cut them for reasons.

The racing thing I know a lot of people who run eBay coilovers and many pro teams who have experimented with cutting springs. You'd be surprised. Plus not all classes allow full coilovers.

Cut springs DO NOT blow struts or shocks more than a lowering spring, WHY would you think that??? Struts are cheap, coilovers are $1000+ for a DECENT setup. A set of coilover sleeves or really nice springs with adjustable shocks is just as good to most people as a full set of real adjustable coilovers. Why? People like you don't know how to use them correctly and can't drive that well so it doesn't matter WHAT you have it's how you use it. lol

My red E30 didn't handle bad at all with cut springs, the springs are not the only thing on suspension. It was the equivalent of me running some lower end say Tein Basics or something, if the spring rates were the same then not much else mattered.

1) ok cut springs might be equal to cheap springs....OMG lol....seriously cheap is not the way you want to modify suspension....well nvm apparently it is for ppl in this thread....after running a spring strut combo and now having coilovers I can say that coilover offer a much superior ride quality and handling ability than strut/spring combos go whether the springs are cut/heated or not. I think you should ask yourself not the cheapest way to modify a car but the most efficient v. cost effectiveness...

2) how do you knwo the e30 would've comparaed similar with teins springs than cut springs. Did you try both setups on the same car or are you just assuming this for your arguement? How do you know if the spring rates of your cut springs v. the tein basics were the same because I doubt you went as far as to really find out.

3) how do i not know how to use my coilovers properly? I'm sure they were meant to be used in the way I use them....I'm sure I installed them properly....I might not be a suspension guru but I know the basics....I'm sure that when I go on a little road trip and I want my car to ride nice I can raise it and set the ride softer, and I can conversely drop it and make the ride stiffer....

quickdodge®
04-02-2010, 10:43 AM
..I might not be a suspension guru but I know the basics...

At least you recognize it. And this is why people should not voice their "knowledge" in subjects they're not knowledgeable in. This is how people get confused and continue the train of spreading untrue "facts." There's nothing wrong in not knowing and there is nothing wrong with coming into a thread and starting off your "knowledge" with "I heard that..." But to come in matter-of-factly stating what you think you know is completely off. Later, QD.

Elbow
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
1) ok cut springs might be equal to cheap springs....OMG lol....seriously cheap is not the way you want to modify suspension....well nvm apparently it is for ppl in this thread....after running a spring strut combo and now having coilovers I can say that coilover offer a much superior ride quality and handling ability than strut/spring combos go whether the springs are cut/heated or not. I think you should ask yourself not the cheapest way to modify a car but the most efficient v. cost effectiveness...

2) how do you knwo the e30 would've comparaed similar with teins springs than cut springs. Did you try both setups on the same car or are you just assuming this for your arguement? How do you know if the spring rates of your cut springs v. the tein basics were the same because I doubt you went as far as to really find out.

3) how do i not know how to use my coilovers properly? I'm sure they were meant to be used in the way I use them....I'm sure I installed them properly....I might not be a suspension guru but I know the basics....I'm sure that when I go on a little road trip and I want my car to ride nice I can raise it and set the ride softer, and I can conversely drop it and make the ride stiffer....

1. I didn't mean cheap as in eBay lowering springs, I meant the cheap springs aka Eibachs, Teins, etc. They all make $200-300 cheap lowering springs that aren't based to performance, they're more of a lower the car to look better and naturally a tad bit stiffer. You can have a very decent cheap suspension setup on a car, when will people realize just because it costs a lot doesn't mean it's better. Obviously a set of Ohlins are better, but for the average driver who doesn't track their car or know much about suspension a nice set of springs/shocks is perfectly fine. I've raped cars in turns with expensive suspension in a car with eBay suspension, so like I've said, if you can't USE that expensive suspension, there is no point in having it.

2. My Miata had Teins on KYB AGX adjustable shocks, the springs were way too soft. I ran eBay coilovers for a short time and played with other things, they were 20x better than the Teins. As for my E30 the red one the springs were already cut by my friend who also cut the ones on my gray E30. The cars sat nice and looked great, but they weren't stiff enough for my driving preference. I'm saying they felt exactly the same as a friends E30 who was using Eibach (whatever the lowest model is most use.) HOWEVER, I was a LOT lower and rode just as smooth. Oh yeah, I had new shocks. :doh:

3. Do you track your car? In my opinion coilovers are only good on a track car. Even then not all track cars need them. Spec E30 doesn't even run coilovers they have to run Bilstein shocks and H&R race springs, they lap just as fast as some cars with full coilovers. Spec Miata can't run a true coilover setup either. Coilovers have benefits such as the ability to quickly change spring rates, adjust dampening, etc. Why do you need that on a car that never will see a track? Or even if it did not every weekend.

The point is you're saying cut springs suck, just springs suck, and coilovers are the only win. It's blind of you to say things like that when you don't have much experience. I can think of tons of non coilover setups that kill cheap full coilovers.

EG_Ryder
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
what im getting from this is if you are going to get lowering springs, then get some decent shocks too? am i right lol

That's my point. I have over 20 years experience with heated springs. All hands on, personal experience. No "he said/she said" bullshit. I'll take hands on experience over what someone THINKS they know. Later, QD.

soooooooo, how much do you plan on charging me to heat my springs lol

Elbow
04-03-2010, 09:39 PM
what im getting from this is if you are going to get lowering springs, then get some decent shocks too? am i right lol

Cutting > heating.

Just saying.

quickdodge®
04-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Lolol. I quit lowering other people's cars long ago. Too much BS going around for me to mess up someone's car and them try to get me for it.

Cutting > heating.

Just saying.

You just said it wrong, simon, lolol. Later, QD.

Catnip
04-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Lolol. I quit lowering other people's cars long ago. Too much BS going around for me to mess up someone's car and them try to get me for it.

You just said it wrong, simon, lolol. Later, QD.

Make him sign a waiver saying you're no responsible for ANY problems :)

and lolol, even though I'd rather cut the springs.

@ the arguement. On my civic, I had stock shocks/struts in great shape and skunk2 springs, then went to cut skunk2 springs on tokico illuminas. The ride is a lot stiffer and handles 10x better. I'm very happy.

driftyboy
04-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Love how many people still bash on cut springs.

Cut / Heat are both probably equally bad if you do not know what you're doing. It's not really fair to say "Ya I've been heating springs for 10 years, it's much better than cutting' when I've seen Chip Foose cut springs on his TV show.

As far as being on topic, I dont know if a DIY exists as I'm not into hondas, but I'm sure you'll need a spring compressor. :)

quickdodge®
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
It's not really fair to say "Ya I've been heating springs for 10 years, it's much better than cutting' when I've seen Chip Foose cut springs on his TV show.

It's fair enough to me. Later, QD.

allmotorEJ8
04-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't use a tv show to determine which is better, but that's just me. I've seen some really stupid things done on tv.

Delsllow
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Love how many people still bash on cut springs.

Cut / Heat are both probably equally bad if you do not know what you're doing. It's not really fair to say "Ya I've been heating springs for 10 years, it's much better than cutting' when I've seen Chip Foose cut springs on his TV show.

As far as being on topic, I dont know if a DIY exists as I'm not into hondas, but I'm sure you'll need a spring compressor. :)

Nahhh just shoot that sh!t off and hope you can find the parts after lol

cut > ebay

My civic rode great with 2.5 coils cut on front and 3 coils off the back

SKUNK2GUY
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
measure how low of a drop you want while the spring is compressed and mark it then take the spring off and cut on the mark

Elbow
04-09-2010, 07:15 PM
measure how low of a drop you want while the spring is compressed and mark it then take the spring off and cut on the mark

No.

SKUNK2GUY
04-10-2010, 01:04 AM
No.
actually yea ive done it a million times on mine and other peoples cars i wouldnt recomend cutting springs but if its just like an inch or inch and a half than its fine if your broke.

809KiNg
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
someone should pass thru and do them for me FF =) i dont wanna fuck up

809KiNg
04-17-2010, 02:24 PM
can it be heated with one of these?:
http://www.wired.com/images/productreviews/2008/06/bernzomatic_trigger_start_torch_f.jpg

do i have to jack the car up or turn the wheel so i cant heat the speings?

Elbow
04-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Cutting > heating.

quickdodge®
04-17-2010, 03:26 PM
can it be heated with one of these?:
http://www.wired.com/images/productreviews/2008/06/bernzomatic_trigger_start_torch_f.jpg

do i have to jack the car up or turn the wheel so i cant heat the speings?

That's what I use.

And NO! You do not jack the car up because you need the weight of the car to help compress the springs as they are heated. And yes, you'll need to turn the wheels so that you have easier access and more space to work with in the wheel well. Once the car starts getting lower, you'll run out of room so turning the wheel will allow for a bit more room. Later, QD.

809KiNg
04-17-2010, 03:51 PM
That's what I use.

And NO! You do not jack the car up because you need the weight of the car to help compress the springs as they are heated. And yes, you'll need to turn the wheels so that you have easier access and more space to work with in the wheel well. Once the car starts getting lower, you'll run out of room so turning the wheel will allow for a bit more room. Later, QD.

one more question, do i heat from the middle, top, bottom or all of the above?

quickdodge®
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I always start at the top. Only real reason being that since it's way up in there and once you start lowering, you won't be able to get the torch up in there due to lack of room. Later, QD.

809KiNg
04-17-2010, 03:58 PM
thanks alot, ill be doing this tomorrow morning

95droppedhatch
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
ive been cutting springs on beater cars that i buy and sell and they all ride great as long as you dont have blown struts thats when they ride shitty

quickdodge®
04-21-2010, 11:26 AM
thanks alot, ill be doing this tomorrow morning

I wonder how this turned out, lolol. Later, QD.

Cameron.
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
LOLOL

809KiNg
04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
i havent done it yet.. since i cant drive and dont have enough time because of skool, ill do it this weekend. i have extra stock springs just in case

Sinfix_15
04-22-2010, 07:02 AM
I've cut a lot of mustang springs. I'd say about 90% of the foxbody mustangs you will ever see that dont have coilovers have cut springs. For this particular application you cant tell a difference when done right. just clip a 1/2 a coil at a time, use a cutting wheel, dont leave any rough edges and replace your rubber cups. It's pretty common in the domestic world, at least for cars going in a straight line.

Elbow
04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
It's not that uncommon in other worlds either, just clueless fanboy kids bash it because of lack of knowledge.

quickdodge®
04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
It's not that uncommon in other worlds either, just clueless fanboy kids bash it because of lack of knowledge.

Exactly. And their "knowledge" typically comes from other fanboys that have no knowledge as well. Everyone always says "well I heard..." Fuck what you heard. Find someone that's actually done it, talk to them, learn how to do it properly and go from there. Later, QD.

Turbodude06
04-22-2010, 05:13 PM

^ Thank u... I love people who have no idea what they are talking about, I've had both cut and tourched springs, they both ride much better then the cheap ass coil overs and better then most aftermarket springs. I personally love cut springs, but the heated one's are much easier to do cause you don't have to take nothing off the car lol....

809KiNg
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
how long is it suppose to take to heat up??? i was heating a spring nd nothing happen... should i clean the dirt first??

Elbow
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
how long is it suppose to take to heat up??? i was heating a spring nd nothing happen... should i clean the dirt first??

No, you should take them off and cut them.

Me86Rob
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I wouldnt heat them. If you dont do it perfectly, the ride is utter garbage.

quickdodge®
04-23-2010, 02:54 AM

It takes a little bit to get them started. Maybe 10 minutes. After you get the first coil going, the rest usually take about half the time. I can have a car lowered in about half an hour or so. Later, QD.

DeeAOne
04-23-2010, 03:16 AM
im a pro-cut person...simply because i have no experience with heating. take your time and cut even, and it rides just fine.

i had ebay coilovers in the front with cut springs in the back at one point, the rear was much smoother.