PDA

View Full Version : Cranking issues

KodyH
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
I looked around before posting, but as no one has this car I decided to ask.

I drive a 1988 Plymouth Reliant K
2.2L 4 cylinder-stock
I have no check engine light on. I've got brand new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and battery. The oil is fresh and I've got plenty of gas. When I went to crank the car yesterday, its turns over and sounds cranked, but then it dies out. I heard the fuel pump engage, so I don't think that is it. We thought it could be the fuel filter, and I'm checking that today. I just want to see if anyone else has any ideas what it could be. I'm new to working on cars and want to learn, so any ideas would help.

By the way this is the first mechanical issue I have had from this car.

Barefoot
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
so it runs for a sec then dies

KodyH
03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
so it runs for a sec then dies

I've only got it to stay once. It ran for five seconds and died. Otherwise it kills out once I let go of the key.

Barefoot
03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
so if u hold the key in the on start position it will stay running. the sec u let go of the key the car turns off.

KodyH
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
so if u hold the key in the on start position it will stay running. the sec u let go of the key the car turns off.

Yessir. I cannot rev the motor while its turned as well. I tried pumping the gas pedal and it does nothing.

Theycall_Metue
03-31-2010, 11:39 AM
M.A.S maybe?

KodyH
03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
M.A.S maybe?

Wouldn't the check engine light come on with that?

Barefoot
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
i just want to get this clear u cant rev it because the starter is still engaged and spinning.

Theycall_Metue
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
i actually not sure if it'll turn the light on, since engine light is always on in my old eclipse
that or it maybe dirty

KodyH
03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
i just want to get this clear u cant rev it because the starter is still engaged and spinning.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. Thanks.

i actually not sure if it'll turn the light on, since engine light is always on in my old eclipse
that or it maybe dirty

Hmm ok...

Well I just bought a new fuel filter and I'm putting it on now.

KodyH
03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
That wasn't the issue.

KodyH
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Ok well I've added the new filter and it didn't help. The motor is actually starting to smoke now.

slostang
03-31-2010, 10:37 PM
compression test?

geezy
03-31-2010, 10:45 PM
i have this issue also on my ef.. specially in the morning.. i turn it on and stays on for about 5-10sec then turns off
and i gotta crank it a few time for it to stay on ... im lookin for an answer also.. ive done everything u have too

KodyH
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
compression test?

I've got good compression, fuel delivery and my plugs are all sparking in order.

i have this issue also on my ef.. specially in the morning.. i turn it on and stays on for about 5-10sec then turns off
and i gotta crank it a few time for it to stay on ... im lookin for an answer also.. ive done everything u have too

I don't even get it to stay on.

Catnip
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Pull a spark plug out, attach it back to the wire, sit it on the valve cover, have someone turn it over. See if the spark is good and continuous. If it never goes out, I'd look for a fuel problem. Since the filter is new now, I'd look more towards the fuel pump going out.

KodyH
04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Pull a spark plug out, attach it back to the wire, sit it on the valve cover, have someone turn it over. See if the spark is good and continuous. If it never goes out, I'd look for a fuel problem. Since the filter is new now, I'd look more towards the fuel pump going out.

I did that test yesterday and we replaced the fuel pump as well. I don't get this...

slostang
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
might be timing.

KodyH
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
might be timing.

How could I check/change that?

Elbow
04-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Does it have a MAF sensor or anything? To check timing you need a timing light and a manual. Not sure why it would of randomly jumped timing that bad though.

You said you replaced the fuel pump and filter, you're getting strong fuel pressure? No kinks?

You said you have spark. What does the smoke look like? Check the oil and coolant, it's all good? When you say smoke is it out of the exhaust or the engine is smoking itself? Does it sound normal when starting over?

KodyH
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Does it have a MAF sensor or anything? To check timing you need a timing light and a manual. Not sure why it would of randomly jumped timing that bad though.

You said you replaced the fuel pump and filter, you're getting strong fuel pressure? No kinks?

You said you have spark. What does the smoke look like? Check the oil and coolant, it's all good? When you say smoke is it out of the exhaust or the engine is smoking itself? Does it sound normal when starting over?

I'm not sure about the MAF, this is the first car I've ever done work to. I don't know how the timing could have gotten off to the point where it won't start. At least overnight that is. I'm getting strong fuel pressure and there are no kinks. I inspected the entire line. The smoke went away. It was white and coming from the exhaust leak where we spot welded it back on for a quick fix. It sounds normal when starting, it just won't fire up. :/

Elbow
04-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Could you of blown the headgasket? Is the oil and coolant clear? That won't always tell the story though. How do the plugs look?

I don't know if they had a MAF or what but anything on the intake track usually with a large plug on it, it's usually a separate piece of the track.

KodyH
04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Could you of blown the headgasket? Is the oil and coolant clear? That won't always tell the story though. How do the plugs look?

I don't know if they had a MAF or what but anything on the intake track usually with a large plug on it, it's usually a separate piece of the track.

I have no oil leaking at all. Oil and coolant are good looking. Plugs are brand new. As for a MAF, the only thing I see on the intake track is, what I was told on CKCC was the computer.

Elbow
04-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Clean any electrical plugs you see with cleaner.

Blown head gasket may not really show symptoms through oil or coolant change. My Miata blew a HG to the point it wouldn't start and the oil looked fine as did the coolant. Sometimes if plugs look "steam cleaned" it indicates a leaking HG.

KodyH
04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Clean any electrical plugs you see with cleaner.

Blown head gasket may not really show symptoms through oil or coolant change. My Miata blew a HG to the point it wouldn't start and the oil looked fine as did the coolant. Sometimes if plugs look "steam cleaned" it indicates a leaking HG.

What kind of cleaner?

My plugs look fine still. It ran fine all day Sunday, but Monday, nothing. Could me running out of gas Sunday have anything to do with this?

Elbow
04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
What kind of cleaner?

My plugs look fine still. It ran fine all day Sunday, but Monday, nothing. Could me running out of gas Sunday have anything to do with this?

Well yeah if you picked up dirt from the bottom of the tank and clogged something up, is there only one fuel filter? One pump?

KodyH
04-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Well yeah if you picked up dirt from the bottom of the tank and clogged something up, is there only one fuel filter? One pump?

One filter, one pump.

New update. I sprayed in some starter fluid. I got it cranked after the holding the key forward for 10 seconds. It started and ran for another 7 seconds. It sounded way too slow, and puffed out a ton of black smoke.

Elbow
04-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Black is USUALLY a fuel issue, actually just about always.

Did it run WITHOUT you using starter fluid? What about your injectors? Are they good?

KodyH
04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Black is USUALLY a fuel issue, actually just about always.

Did it run WITHOUT you using starter fluid? What about your injectors? Are they good?

It hasn't so far. I don't think I have injectors. I'm carbureted.

Elbow
04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
OH, well shit. That changes a lot. lol

I have no idea now. :( lol I mean black smoke is usually too much fuel. However I don't know if that would effect it starting up in general. When did you change pumps? Did you check fuel pressure?

KodyH
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
OH, well shit. That changes a lot. lol

I have no idea now. :( lol I mean black smoke is usually too much fuel. However I don't know if that would effect it starting up in general. When did you change pumps? Did you check fuel pressure?

Yesterday and I checked. I've got good pressure..

Elbow
04-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Welllll HAIL, I really don't know what to say I'm not very knowledgeable about carburetors I've only had two excluding karts.

Maybe the carb is bad or leaking? You say it won't stay running on it's own?

KodyH
04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Welllll HAIL, I really don't know what to say I'm not very knowledgeable about carburetors I've only had two excluding karts.

Maybe the carb is bad or leaking? You say it won't stay running on it's own?

Yeah. I hope its not bad :/
I has no monies.

Elbow
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah I mean if you said it was shooting out black smoke and only ran with starter fluid it sounds like a fuel issue to me. I just don't know what. I'm sure others on here could be more of a help.

KodyH
04-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah I mean if you said it was shooting out black smoke and only ran with starter fluid it sounds like a fuel issue to me. I just don't know what. I'm sure others on here could be more of a help.

Someone that knows about cars help! lol

KodyH
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
ITS RUNNING!!!

geezy
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
ITS RUNNING!!!

wat did it have?

allmotorEJ8
04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Well what was the problem?

KodyH
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
wat did it have?

Well what was the problem?

I just sprayed more carb cleaner and starting fluid. It might blow up next week, but it ran :p

allmotorEJ8
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I was told too much starting fluid is not good.

KodyH
04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
I was told too much starting fluid is not good.

Probably not, but at the moment I could care less. I'm pissed.

Elbow
04-02-2010, 06:23 AM
I just sprayed more carb cleaner and starting fluid. It might blow up next week, but it ran :p

Did it STAY running on its own?

KodyH
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes. Once it started it ran all night. I even turned it off for an hour and restarted it. Twice.