PDA

View Full Version : LS wont crank and making wierd noice

marcos713
03-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Sorry for the long read lol.....

I'll start at the begining, my friends dizzy went out so we borrowed 1 from a friend and the car cranked. He drove it home and took the dizzy back off to give it back. He was gonna take the dizzy off his LS to put on the other motor.

So today I get a call saying the car won't crank, so I tell him to check the firing order and to make sure he put the dizzy in the correct way. Well he said it never cranked so me and some friends went to go check it out. The car was making a weird noise kind of like when you try to turn on a car when its already on. It wasn't making the usual cranking noise. We thought it was the dizzy that was backward but nothing happened. We tried to crank it with the dizzy unpluged to see if it was the dizzy making the noise and it wasn't. we can see the exhaust cam turn so the motor is still rotating.

So we have no idea what it could be. My friend thinks it may have jumped time.. I think so to but again we're not sure.

If any1 has any input post it up asap. Thanks again :goodjob:

Barefoot
03-31-2010, 07:03 AM
give me a call. best input ever. off the top of my head dont have an answer till i can look at it and hear this sound for myself.

Theycall_Metue
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
yea go with barefoot on this one
sounds like it can be multiple things

Captain-Obvious™
03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
If it just jumped time it wouldn't make a weird noise. It would just crank over but never start.

marcos713
03-31-2010, 09:11 AM
give me a call. best input ever. off the top of my head dont have an answer till i can look at it and hear this sound for myself.

ok il tell him to give u a call today if 1 of my friends cant get it to turn on. i cant really compare the sound to anything...il see if they can record it doing it so i can post it up later tonight

If it just jumped time it wouldn't make a weird noise. It would just crank over but never start.

True. one of my friends is going to take off the VC and timing cover to check how everything looks. if nothing else they'l prolly have to call some1 to go look at it

Barefoot
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
np lmk

preferredduck
04-02-2010, 01:45 AM
starter, timing belt jumped, shredded, ???? usually when the timing jumpw, depending on how dan it may not make any noise except it turning over. someone would have to hear it to tell you.

SLow_POke
04-02-2010, 04:31 PM
i would check my starter, try a buddys starter see if it does the same thing. maybe its stuck, from what u said that it sounds liek u are trying to start it while its already on.

marcos713
04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Meant to update this last night but I had a bad connection.

My friend pulled the VC and timing cover off. Seems like timing jumped way off. 1 cam was facing to the left while the other was facing towards the upper right side. Gonna get a new timing belt and put it back in tip to see if that's the prob. I'll update this if it works or not

SLow_POke
04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
interference , must of sound liek music. no bent valveS?

marcos713
04-04-2010, 01:35 AM
interference , must of sound liek music. no bent valveS?

from what he told me no. my friends got the car back in time, cranked it up and according to them it idled perfectly. no teeth were missing on the belt nor did it seem worn down. we have no idea how the car jumped timing :dunno:

Thegrizz
04-10-2010, 12:51 AM
i think the starter is hanging bro if its making a noise.dont know why that would cause it not too start...hope you get it

mx5
04-10-2010, 11:20 AM
sounds weird, hope you figure it out. let us know.

Me86Rob
04-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I would love to help you, but I have no fucking clue what a noice is...