PDA

View Full Version : General Chat WTF is JDM?

speedminded
03-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Aimed towards those who love to use the term "JDM", what do you think it means? Define it...

big mac
03-27-2010, 10:10 AM
japanese domestic market lol

Jrh1992
03-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Americans who want their cars to look like they came off a crate straight from Japan.

Elbow
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
No, Americans think JDM means California styling.

REAL JDM would be this:

http://www.carfolio.com/images/dbimages/zgas/models/id/15818/1995_honda_civic_ferio_vi.jpg

Bone fucking stock. Japanese Domestic Market does not mean Japanese modified car scene. I've only known VERY few people who actually did the REAL JDM thing. Which I still didn't understand but...lol

oneSLOWex
03-27-2010, 10:15 AM
JDM is dead.....

big mac
03-27-2010, 10:16 AM
im so jdm, idk what is is anymore!!!!!!

Sol-Badguy
03-27-2010, 11:58 AM
JDM is dead.....

Says you. Have you been to the Varsity lately?

Let's just say I knew a kid, who shall remain anonymous, that put BMW "bottlecaps" on his 91 Integra, painted then purple, and claimed they were "JDM AS FUCK".

oneSLOWex
03-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Says you. Have you been to the Varsity lately?

Let's just say I knew a kid, who shall remain anonymous, that put BMW "bottlecaps" on his 91 Integra, painted then purple, and claimed they were "JDM AS FUCK".

LOL i was kidding....people think anything "clean" is JDM now.
Bottlecaps are fucking hideous and gay for the record.

Sol-Badguy
03-27-2010, 12:04 PM
LOL i was kidding....people think anything "clean" is JDM now.
Bottlecaps are fucking hideous and gay for the record.

Agreed, 100%.

Gorilla Eg!
03-27-2010, 12:21 PM
JDM is dead.....

indeed, it has brandched out into smaller sections....pure fashion (show), pure function (race), and those who have no clue (ghey-d-m)

speedminded
03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
indeed, it has brandched out into smaller sections....pure fashion (show), pure function (race), and those who have no clue (ghey-d-m)So you're saying "JDM" is about show and race and rice?

Sol-Badguy
03-27-2010, 12:56 PM
So you're saying "JDM" is about show and race and rice?

:lmao:

geezy
03-27-2010, 07:23 PM
go to the bp meet on pleasant hill
and youll see the defenition lol

Apex i ITR
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
JDM is a slang term for people here in the US that style their cars like modified cars in japan (mixture of OEM JDM parts and JDM aftermarket parts.....the harder the find the more JDM it is). Also spending alot of money for BRAND name parts is part of this culture. 2500 for a exhaust is about par for the course or 500 for a spark plug cover.

Nerdsrock22
03-29-2010, 10:26 AM
...the harder the find the more JDM it is).

There is no scale of JDM. Either it was made in Japan for Japanese consumers, or it wasn't.

quickdodgeŽ
03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Americans who want their cars to look like they came off a crate straight from Japan.

Huh? It would still be USDM because it was made for the United States market. Maybe you mean to say that "Americans who want their cars to look like they came off a Japanese automobile dealer lot."

JDM is a slang term for people here in the US that style their cars like modified cars in japan (mixture of OEM JDM parts and JDM aftermarket parts.....the harder the find the more JDM it is). Also spending alot of money for BRAND name parts is part of this culture. 2500 for a exhaust is about par for the course or 500 for a spark plug cover.

What in the hail is all this? It makes no sense at all.

I can tell you know that I personally own probably the most "JDM" car on the site. Truth be told. Later, QD.

KodyH
03-29-2010, 10:34 AM
What in the hail is all this? It makes no sense at all.

I can tell you know that I personally own probably the most "JDM" car on the site. Truth be told. Later, QD.

He speaks truth.

DriVaH
03-29-2010, 11:10 AM
trim levels in japan are different than the japanese cars made in america. alot of people want their car to be as close to how the manufacture intanded, so the source rare parts from japan (JDM)..call it a culture or call it a trend, but in the end, you either get it or you don't.

Vteckidd
03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
No, Americans think JDM means California styling.

REAL JDM would be this:

http://www.carfolio.com/images/dbimages/zgas/models/id/15818/1995_honda_civic_ferio_vi.jpg

Bone fucking stock. Japanese Domestic Market does not mean Japanese modified car scene. I've only known VERY few people who actually did the REAL JDM thing. Which I still didn't understand but...lol

Not entirely correct. JDM means Japanese Domestic Market PRODUCED. In terms to the modified car scene, which is what this topic is about, it means any parts manufactured or available in the Japanese market. It doesnt just mean making your car look like a stock Japanese car.

Example 1:
JDM Front End Integra means the OEM JDM Front end from the Japanese integra.

Example 2:
JDM Front End Integra can also mean something like a BOMEX front end or veilside, something exclusively made in Japan (at the time)

It can go either way basically, the car you posted is "jdm" obviously. But it JDM also did include the aftermarket styling that the Japs were doing back in the day. When we were doing big bad bodykits and wings shortly after F&F came out, they were doing Black wheels, little to no body mods, amber corners, etc. Their hondas were always very simple and clean. They never really did bodykits or anything unless it was on a RWD Super car that deserved it (supra, FD, 300ZX, etc)

Oh and the trend hit cali first, so technically the Cali Styling is JDM which spread to the rest of the country.

Elbow
03-29-2010, 11:52 AM
But the Japanese also follow that Cali trend everyone here calls JDM but there it's not so...

Vteckidd
03-29-2010, 12:03 PM
But the Japanese also follow that Cali trend everyone here calls JDM but there it's not so...

i dont know about now i dont really follow it, but when JDM first came about it was the Japanese styling that made its way to Southern California and it started with the EG Hatch. The duckbill and black wheels was the first to gain popularity and it spread from there. The Jap styling "jdm" as it were called, was more centered around an average looking car with little to no exterior mods, and focused more on handling and performance. At the time it was a BIG departure from the american culture which was doing neon strobes , shopping cart wings, body kits, plush interior, DVDs in the headrest, etc. So at first i remember people were like "ewww its so plain, you cant tell anything is done to it". Then it basically got popular with the socal street racers and went off from there.

Today the Americans are stealing from the VW people and calling it their own with this HellaFlush bullshit fad that is going on now. Just like the big bodykits were a fad of the Show Car scene after F&F, the HellaFlush movement is the new fad for the car show people. Its their way t o stand out. I mean lets face it a bunch of JDM looking cars are boring to look at.

I highly doubt anyone in japan is doing what Leng_EG6 and SMRLsvtec is doing to their S2000s. There is no hellaflush movement in Japan that i know of, if there is, its on $50000-200000 cars not hondas

SeePlusPlus
03-29-2010, 01:58 PM
There is no hellaflush movement in Japan that i know of, if there is, its on $50000-200000 cars not hondas

That's because they have these...

http://www.drifting.com/forums/attachments/pictures-and-video-clips/6117d1095221414-pimpin-jdm-vans-drift-van2.jpg

Nerdsrock22
03-29-2010, 02:49 PM
^ that's significantly cooler than Hellaflush.

Sir_Christopher
03-29-2010, 02:55 PM
JDM = Jacking Dicks meaningfully