PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 5th Gen Prelude Owners

5speed
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I have different things told to me about the gas mileage on 5th gen Preludes. Some say 17city/22hwy and others up to 32hwy (not sure on city). What type of gas mileage do you get on stock intake and exhaust? How about with intake and exhaust mods? Please verify what mods you did in order to get those results.

I ask because I have narrowed down a new purchase to the Prelude and SC400. Two different cars I know, just depends on who has the right price.

Reps to those who help.

Crazy Asian
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
wtfudge? Who ever told you that needs to be shot and hanged. EPA estimates are 21/26. Epic fail on their part. I got like 20 on city and like 25 on higways.

5speed
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I did look up the Consumer Guide report. I was so confused bc I was being told different things buy people who own them. One of my friends has the last year made and told me 17/22

Crazy Asian
03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
probably because he's hitting VTEC all night long. You do that your mpg drops quick. I avg 16-17 when I hit VTEC and was on it.

5speed
03-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, maybe. I have pretty much narrowed it down to those two cars. The Prelude was mainly bc I love the body style and its a good ride for the mpg. I am going to try to get an SC400 if I find one for the right price. Most seem to be asking too much for the mileage on the motor.

TicketRedBB6
03-27-2010, 04:10 AM
I got roughly 17/22 in mine, 5spd. I rarely ever hit vtec either. Ebay SRI and everything else stock. One thing that may have messed me up was it was my first 5spd. But I have always heard of people getting poor mileage in them, well, poor for a Honda anyways.

5speed
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
This is what I don't understand. That is a drastic change. Maybe somebody needs a real bad tune up or something.

97_luder
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
wtfudge? Who ever told you that needs to be shot and hanged. EPA estimates are 21/26. Epic fail on their part. I got like 20 on city and like 25 on higways.

i have a 98 prelude and i get these number and i have I/H/E. the reason you see different number is due to the fact that the prelude comes with a featured called ilde air bypass which are butterflys in the IM and they are controlled by a black box on the underside of the IM. the nipples on the box break easy. so if your IAB is working your MPG will be nice and if not then your MPG will suck

5speed
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
i have a 98 prelude and i get these number and i have I/H/E. the reason you see different number is due to the fact that the prelude comes with a featured called ilde air bypass which are butterflys in the IM and they are controlled by a black box on the underside of the IM. the nipples on the box break easy. so if your IAB is working your MPG will be nice and if not then your MPG will suck

Ahh. I see. I read somewhere about that technology. Do you have any links that would be helpful on fixing this if that became a problem?

97_luder
03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Ahh. I see. I read somewhere about that technology. Do you have any links that would be helpful on fixing this if that became a problem?

if the nipples break just got to honda and buy a new unit i think its about $30-$40

5speed
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Well thats not too much. Thanks for the info.