PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Tried the search feature.......turbo rebuild ?

Slomaro Z28
03-23-2010, 06:55 PM
I have an ebay turbo on the car (I know, I know) @ 11 PSI. If I have this one rebuilt will it be more reliable? It's blowing smoke right now, but is still spooling good. I have a little oil in the DP, so if the seal isn't bad it's on the way there. I don't wanna buy another ebay turbo and wait for this to happen again. I'll either rebuild this one or buy a decent one, this one seems to be working fine though. Where are some places to rebuild one in the Metro ATL area?

tdurr
03-23-2010, 07:17 PM
im pretty sure most diesel places will be able to rebuild a turbo/recommend you to a place. but at the same time im sure someone on here can tell you better.

i would just rebuild it with good quality parts. thats what alot of ppl do(from what i have heard)

Slomaro Z28
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
im pretty sure most diesel places will be able to rebuild a turbo/recommend you to a place. but at the same time im sure someone on here can tell you better.

i would just rebuild it with good quality parts. thats what alot of ppl do(from what i have heard)

There is a place on Canton Rd @ Jamerson in Marietta that rebuilt my dad's injection pump for his diesel truck, I'll see if they rebuild turbo's. I don't mind spend some money on this turbo if it'll be reliable.

tdurr
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
cool. hopefully someone will chime in and give you a solid answer.

Slomaro Z28
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Wow, $600-$1000 to rebuild a turbo......that's the shop off Canton I mentioned. Anyone know anywhere a lot cheaper than that? I'll buy a nice name brand turbo for a little more than they want for a rebuild, before I pay that.

tdurr
03-24-2010, 11:19 PM
bahaha thats dumb. i dono, best bet is to prob pm some of the more experienced boost ppl on here.

Jdm94Coupe
03-25-2010, 06:09 PM
somebody just told me about a place called diesel injection in forest park if im not mistaken........ check it out.....

loSiRcity
03-25-2010, 08:10 PM
if you dont mind shipping it out talk to Tim's Turbos. I send all my stuff to him. He's cheap and good. Bought a freshly built custom turbo from him for 500 including shipping. I think rebuilds usuaully run around 300 but you get the works. Look him up on google and talk to him, very easy to deal with. Hope this is helpful.

tstaubly
03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
dude turbo rebuilds are easy as hell. the turbo is a simple part and with minimal tools you can buy at any hardware store you can do it yourself. just buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. $100 solution. assuming nothing is severly wrong with the turbo. where they eat you in price is when the turbine or compressor wheel need to be machined or replaced. if you can get to the rebuild before any damage to those parts occur, then the new barings and seals included in the rebuild kit will put your turbo back to brand new condish.

Slomaro Z28
03-26-2010, 09:56 PM
somebody just told me about a place called diesel injection in forest park if im not mistaken........ check it out.....

That's who the shop I called uses, on main st. in forest park.

dude turbo rebuilds are easy as hell. the turbo is a simple part and with minimal tools you can buy at any hardware store you can do it yourself. just buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. $100 solution. assuming nothing is severly wrong with the turbo. where they eat you in price is when the turbine or compressor wheel need to be machined or replaced. if you can get to the rebuild before any damage to those parts occur, then the new barings and seals included in the rebuild kit will put your turbo back to brand new condish.

Thanks

crashtke
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Also look into WHY it failed. Usually it is supply or drain issues. Also excessive crank case pressure can cause the drain line to back up and push oil past the seals. It would suck to get another one, or get that one rebuilt and have it fail as well. Could be it is crappy internals, could be an issue with the way it is plumbed. I do know a guy that rebuilds turbos.

Slomaro Z28
04-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Also look into WHY it failed. Usually it is supply or drain issues. Also excessive crank case pressure can cause the drain line to back up and push oil past the seals. It would suck to get another one, or get that one rebuilt and have it fail as well. Could be it is crappy internals, could be an issue with the way it is plumbed. I do know a guy that rebuilds turbos.

Doubt it is the internals, JE and Eagle. Now the crank case pressure is an issue right now, but the turbo is an EBAY special. I figured it was just a cheap turbo, plus the BOV keeps sticking and cause bad boost leak. Guess I just need to start replacing the EBAY stuff.

crashtke
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Crappy internals of the turbo....

Civictyper95
04-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Im looking for a place to rebuild my turbo as well. It still spools well but it leaks a lot of oil... I have oil coming out of the bov now...

crashtke
04-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I know a guy that can rebuild them. Not sure of parts costs though as it probably varies by the turbo a lot.

Slomaro Z28
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Crappy internals of the turbo....

lol.....:ninja:

got ya