PDA

View Full Version : Do they actually add horsepower??

SRK420a
03-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I thought about a few things that made me question if they add horse power so i decided to ask. Also, I apologize for the questions, but I just wanted to get experienced answers or supported opinions.

Thanks in advance:goodjob:

1. throttle body spacers?

2. Different gaps on spark plugs, instead of noted specifications

3. lightweight pulleys

Also I wanted to know about performance of a chassis C-pillar bar; does it really make a difference

thanks again and reps will be given to any assistance:goodjob:

Theycall_Metue
03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
i would like to know too
x2

punkr6
03-23-2010, 09:09 AM
1.- yes but very little ( some will not see any )
2.-depends on app. depends on several factors
3-yes but very little ( not worth the $$$ )

EJdm
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
soo it isnt worth to do any of it then??? a couple bucks saved

-EnVus-
03-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I thought about a few things that made me question if they add horse power so i decided to ask. Also, I apologize for the questions, but I just wanted to get experienced answers or supported opinions.

3. lightweight pulleys

Also I wanted to know about performance of a chassis C-pillar bar; does it really make a difference

changing pulleys is the only best thing to gain

Barefoot
03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
changing pulleys is the only best thing to gain

huh

Theycall_Metue
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM

3. lightweight pulleys

i came to a conclusion
1- spacer are 70+, waste money, spinning air into your head isnt going to make a big enough difference with street setup
2-dont really know what this do, but wont be a big difference with street setup
3-pulleys are over priced, light weight? like .5ounce less than oem + order bigger belt/ different belt = more money

if your all motor, i suppose you would want to do all you can, but boost will be best if you want power

Maki
03-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Gaps should be changed according to your setup ie. boost or higher compression ratio so the spark does not blow out. Other than that the temp of the plug could make a difference in preventing knock but i doubt it adds HP. More of a preventive measure.

SRK420a
03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
just wanted to know im boosting anyway but i was just curious

00 blk G20t
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
you should read up on indexing the spark plugs....all the electrodes basically face the intake valves. sometimes it takes 8 or more plugs just to do a 4cyl because they all thread in different ways to different cyl.

TB spacer is a waste of money.pulleys are a ok mod on most motors. a 4pc UR set on a sr20 adds around 5-7 HP....its all about combination. a HP here and there adds up.

Theycall_Metue
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
ebay turbo kit + 8psi = 50-100hp gain l0l

SRK420a
03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
ebay turbo kit + 8psi = 50-100hp gain l0l

Wow lol

Theycall_Metue
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
my d16y8 was keeping up with friend's twin turbo 300zx untill he hit boost and it was over :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Drummerboy
03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I think someone should thread the entire intake pipe like the barrel of a gun and see what gains it gets, if any. My idea would be that its just taking the princple of a TBS further.

preferredduck
03-25-2010, 11:03 PM
you can have a venturi cut throttle body instead, it adds 14hp on a honda because of handy machine work.

kain
03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
none of these things actually ADD power.

a TB spacer changes the dynamics and length of the intake. that means a lot, or a little. you would have to calculate the gains vs drawbacks. however i feel that a half inch spacer doesnt do much. if you go into the 2 inch lengths, then yes. it will change.

pullies are a misnomer. most of the time they just gear things down because at higher rpms, things like to fail sooner such as water pump, oil pump or alternator.

Capiton23
03-26-2010, 06:09 AM
the only thing listed worth getting is a underdrive pully. it reduces unsprung weight at the crank, and is smaller in diameter, reducing output to accessories. thus it reduces parasitic loss at the crank, netting you more HP, and quicker reving

TSiFTW
03-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Not worth the money, especially on a 420a Eclipse. If thats what your talking. I had underdrive on a 420a and it freed up like 2 hp. To get power out of it, boost it. Mine liked nitrous too, even though I only used it for a few weeks.