PDA

View Full Version : 96 civic coupe handling sux?

Destineal
03-22-2010, 05:03 AM
My chick has a 96 Honda civic coupe. How are they supposed to feel driving stock? I drove it a few hours ago, and it does not seem to have good communication skills. The steering does not seem all that responsive and I don't feel in-sync with the car when driving at all. I know this is a commuter car, but whats the next step to take to make the car handle better? 180k on the motor and I'm guessing its a D series motor?. She has no intentions of lowering the 4x4 either.

SlowEG9
03-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Do proteges really handle that much better?

Destineal
03-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Well I don't know for sure if stock civics handling sux or not, but I know for sure my car handles WAY better than hers(Not bashing civics). Just trying to see if the stock handling suck, or does she have a problem. Protege's handle pretty well and are pretty forgiving.

SlowEG9
03-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Well I don't know for sure if stock civics handling sux or not, but I know for sure my car handles WAY better than hers. Protege's handle pretty well and are pretty forgiving.

LOL how hard are you driving the civic to determine if the steering sucks? My SI handles a hell of alot better at speed than my 95 sedan but at speed limit and everyday driving, its about the same...theres not a huge difference.

Destineal
03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
regular driving. So I take it, that stock 95 civic coupe steering doesn't suck, and its probably a issue with the car itself?

SlowEG9
03-22-2010, 06:01 AM
i mean...may not be...could just be what your use to?

My chicks mustang is night and day from either of my two civics but then again im used to mine and hers is only a few years old

Destineal
03-22-2010, 06:12 AM
maybe

Formally...
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
It's hard to compare the Protege to the civic as far as responsiveness in the steering (and brakes for that matter). I own both and I know what you are talking about. However, I have seen the steering racks in the civics get wore out and have dead spots in them. May also want to check the tierod ends. Does the car pull to the left or right or is she getting funny tire wear?

Barefoot
03-22-2010, 07:54 AM
me personally i we just go thru the suspension and any worn out parts replace them.

Destineal
03-22-2010, 07:54 AM
I will need to check today

Marta Mike
03-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Do proteges really handle that much better?

The answer to that is yes. Going through the whole entire suspension and replacing all bushings and such is expensive and not even worth it if the car is simply a commuter. Replace the struts with something cheap like a kyb GR2 (OEM replacement) and if you're still not happy install a set of sway bars. That will cut down greatly on body roll and keep the height stock. But first things first, always remember to start out with a decent set of tires. Tires will make the greatest difference. And make sure the car is properly aligned.

Theycall_Metue
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
your chick can drive a car? my future father in law have lots of chickens and none of them come close to driving a car :thinking:

like what they say, look for wears and tears
mostly arm bushings, i think thats what they are call... they make a big difference when turning