PDA

View Full Version : overheating

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
ok, so my cousin's 1995 integra is overheating. We know it's not the headgasket and waterpump. the reason how we know is because it's not smoking, and plus, we had jus recently replaced them 2 or 3 months ago. Well, after driving for a while, the water in the radiator will transfer into the white bucket beside the radiator. when the white bucket is filled up with antifreeze, it'll than start to overflow. so the radiator than, won't have any water left. I'm thinking it's the radiator cap? oh yeah, we had replaced the thermostat last month, when it overheated, he decided to just take it off and ride with no thermostat. Any ideas? Repps will be given.

Patterson
03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
sounds like your getting pressure in the cooling system. i only know one reson for that and its a blown head gasket. well it could be a crack in sleeve or head but pretty sure its comming from the combustion chamber.

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
can't it be because the radiator cap is bad? or if the radiator is clogged up??

Patterson
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
it could be. but everytime i've ran into this issue it led to the head gasket. with a pressure tester you can narrow it down to see if it is the cap.

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 10:14 AM
any more suggestions?

RBS
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
after driving are both of the rad hoses hot ( upper and lower )?

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM
iono, didnt really pay attention to it. but i think it was cold.

Theycall_Metue
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
it could be. but everytime i've ran into this issue it led to the head gasket. with a pressure tester you can narrow it down to see if it is the cap.
blown head gasket will able water to enter the cylinder causing the exhaust to blow out white smoke. the teg isnt blowing out white smoke

Theycall_Metue
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
iono, didnt really pay attention to it. but i think it was cold.
forgot to check the bottom hose but the top was cool

RBS
03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
did you put just water in it? or did you use a mixmix of antifreeze and water? straight water will boil before the engines gets to it running temp

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
it had antifreeze in there, than it kept on overheating, so it ran out of antifreeze and than he putted water in there.

RBS
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
in the OP i read that your car doesn't have a thermostat. if you are dead certain it isn't your headgasket then you should buy a new thermostat, install it and fill with mixmix antifreezewater

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
actually, he just went and bought a new thermostat last month. It overheated with the new thermostat in there. so he decided to than take it off, and run with no thermostat and see how it goes. But it than yet overheated

in the OP i read that your car doesn't have a thermostat. if you are dead certain it isn't your headgasket then you should buy a new thermostat, install it and fill with mixmix antifreezewater

RBS
03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
try a new cap then, with new fluid.

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
but will a bad radiator cap cause it to be like this?

try a new cap then, with new fluid.

Patterson
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
blown head gasket will able water to enter the cylinder causing the exhaust to blow out white smoke. the teg isnt blowing out white smoke

i read the OP i have seen it before and the car never white smoke that you can see.:goodjob:

Kourt
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
i read the OP i have seen it before and the car never white smoke that you can see.:goodjob:

x2
My car never smoked when I blew the head gasket. Could have overheated due to the thermostat put in a month ago and now has another blown head gasket. Also, have you tried bleeding the cooling system?

EmminoDaGreat
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Test your radiator cap. Have seen it happen a bunch.

Also in some instances no thermostat will cause overheating as well.

hmong_Spec
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
^^^ back than, he ran with no thermostat and it was fine. but he'll test out the cap.

slostang
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
advance carrys a kit to test your cap. they will test it for you right in the store if they guy knows wtf hes doing.

Umby
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
If the head has raised just slightly it will cause your symptoms but not let coolant into the combustion chamber... I had this happen once on a Mustang. Look at your hoses and see if the upper one has stretched or swollen around the clamps... Also, start the car and see if the upper hose swells up immediately.

Barefoot
03-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Test your radiator cap. Have seen it happen a bunch.

Also in some instances no thermostat will cause overheating as well.

co signing

hmong_Spec
03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
thanks for the help guys, i'll tell my cousin about all these advices.

Theycall_Metue
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
advance carrys a kit to test your cap. they will test it for you right in the store if they guy knows wtf hes doing.
they probably wont, they couldnt figure out what was a rear main seal