PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Mazda designer wants to revive RX-7

JITB
03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
AUTOBLOG (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/08/report-mazda-designer-wants-to-revive-rx-7/)

Ikuo Maeda, Mazda's design overlord, designed the soon-to-be-Stateside Mazda2. He also penned the Mazda RX-8, following quite literally the path his father laid before him: Maeda's father created the original Mazda RX-7. Now Maeda wants to bring the RX-7 back to life, saying "I do have a strong yearning to revive the RX-7 during my tenure."

Even though many enthusiasts would like nothing more than for Mazda to tap that root, we have heard that other Mazda officials queried on the subject poo-pooed the idea, asking "Why go backwards?" If we were to answer, we'd say "Because things were awesome back then. Except for the warranty claims..." That latter point being another reason the last RX-7 is not exactly a fond memory for the Japanese brand.

For it to have any chance at all, though, Maeda said "... we need the U.S. economy to come back, first and foremost." We hereby give you our permission to begin buying everything.

TSiFTW
03-13-2010, 02:15 PM
One could only hope.

David88vert
03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm ready to buy.

e30pwr
03-13-2010, 02:42 PM
i'd rather see them keep going forward. im ready for the rx9

87 Turbo II
03-14-2010, 05:13 AM

Talk to me in person someday about this so I can tell you why you're wrong. Too much to type here.

Machado
03-14-2010, 05:51 AM

There has already been an RX-9 :D

EJ25RUN
03-14-2010, 06:08 AM
There has already been an RX-9 :D

I assume you are not associating random renderings with an official Mazda.

Machado
03-14-2010, 06:17 AM
I assume you are not associating random renderings with an official Mazda.

No, Mazda came out with a car called the RX-9 for the European markets in the 70's.

Its just a 929/Luce with out the piston engine

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2078/dsc001261f.jpg

EJ25RUN
03-14-2010, 06:25 AM
No, Mazda came out with a car called the RX-9 for the European markets in the 70's.

Its just a 929/Luce with out the piston engine

Good.

HypnoToad
03-14-2010, 01:16 PM
but is this for real this time,i mean every year you hear bout them doing this then nothing happens.

ill wait till I see a mazda RX-7 concept sitting at a show.

5speed
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I doubt it will ever happen. They may do a throwback design for the RX8 but other than that I don't think so.

e30pwr
03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Talk to me in person someday about this so I can tell you why you're wrong. Too much to type here.

i has seents my fail. well then i'm ready for the next gen.

JITB
03-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I doubt it will ever happen. They may do a throwback design for the RX8 but other than that I don't think so.

if the designers want it to happen, it "might" happen. But i think they want to make it, but like they said.. the economy in the US is too weak for this type of risk. IM sure the rx7 would be very popular for us! But the only way to have a succesful Rx7 rebirth, is to rid of the Rx8...which would be fine by me, even tho i like rx8s.

It would prob have a FI Renesis, even tho id love to see a 20B but i don tsee a emission friendly 20b being reproduced anytime soon..way too much money.

5speed
03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
It sure would be nice. I love the long body of the RX7 but the styling of the RX8. Funding the R&D would be pretty hard right now, but I think it could be done in about 5 years.

87 Turbo II
03-14-2010, 11:14 PM
i has seents my fail. well then i'm ready for the next gen.

yeah Machado touched on it a bit. It goes a bit deeper with what the Rx# naming system means and how it works etc. Either way, I don't think we're getting a new rotary sports car, but I'd LOVE to be wrong. I'd love it SOOOO much.

DeeAOne
03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
doubt it will happen. like 5speed said, one day maybe a throwback special edition rx-8 or something. i like the rx-8 but i dont know enough about a rotary to own one.

87 Turbo II
03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
doubt it will happen. like 5speed said, one day maybe a throwback special edition rx-8 or something. i like the rx-8 but i dont know enough about a rotary to own one.

A throwback 8 with a turbo charger would be sweet.

DeeAOne
03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
A throwback 8 with a turbo charger would be sweet.
agreed...but the first time the CEL comes on i would probably off myself.

tdurr
03-15-2010, 12:14 AM
agreed...but the first time the CEL comes on i would probably off myself.

oh it would just be the light that reminds you to hit redline that day :goodjob:

David88vert
03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
We need a 3 rotor version of the Renesis - that could pass the emissions tests, and actually put in an affordable car.

87 Turbo II
03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
We need a 3 rotor version of the Renesis - that could pass the emissions tests, and actually put in an affordable car.

Maybe when Jesus comes back, he'll help Mazda build one.

JITB
03-15-2010, 10:20 AM

i actually think its possible.... if anything is made it will be off the renesis motor, since its been such a success and reliability compared to previous rotaries.

and while we are at it, bring back the 929 aswell with this 3 rotor TT renesis...:D

e30pwr
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
i actually think its possible.... if anything is made it will be off the renesis motor, since its been such a success and reliability compared to previous rotaries.

and while we are at it, bring back the 929 aswell with this 3 rotor TT renesis...:D

where are you getting this shit your smoking, i want to try some

JITB
03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
where are you getting this shit your smoking, i want to try some

the renesis being reliable? compared to the 13b it very much is... why would they develop a whole new motor, when they have a capable one that has yet to be unlocked to its full potential. Especially after they are done with the hydrogen powered renesis work..

e30pwr
03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
that was in reference to what you wanted back, not questioning your statement above that

JITB
03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
that was in reference to what you wanted back, not questioning your statement above that

oh than.. dont smash my dreams! the 929 started as a rotary, and was rotary powered until the early 90s.. so it can happen again...:D

David88vert
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Current 929 is too heavy for the rotary. They won't be able to lighten it without sacrificing luxury items, so it won't happen. And Mazda won't turbo the rotary again - heat issues affect reliability - not from the engine, but of hoses, belts, and wiring.

A 3 rotor Renesis is doable due to the lower emissions from the Renesis - but, don't forget, they have to meet the EPA MPG guidelines also, so I wouldn't expect Mazda to make a ton of them. Inb order to keep everyone from getting one, they would have to keep the price tag on the car it came in artifically high also.

Boosted FC
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
We will get a "freshened" RX8. Maybe the 16X will make its way under the hood. Mazda is having enough problems working out the MPGs on the 16X to bring about a whole new Rotary engine. I agree with Joseph on some points but I disagree on the Renesis engine. Any motor that a manufacturer puts a 100,000mile warranty is junk IMHO.

e30pwr
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
moar rotors!!!!

alpine_aw11
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
They need to just piss the world off and throw a V8 in the next rx model. They're better with one anyway.

Boosted FC
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
They need to just piss the world off and throw a V8 in the next rx model. They're better with one anyway.

lol, if you say so.

HypnoToad
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
i think mazda has been so pleased with how the miata has sold since it came out,that they really dont need another sportscar.

but i think if mazda built the new RX off the miata platform that be sweet.

e30pwr
03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
i think mazda has been so pleased with how the miata has sold since it came out,that they really dont need another sportscar.

so say the new chassis with rotors instead of pistons....?

if so, from what i have heard from a friend who worked at mazmart on this exact thing, is its a close drop in. iirc he did all the electrical?

JITB
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM

every company needs a sports car... and than A SPORTS CAR....:goodjob:

HypnoToad
03-15-2010, 04:18 PM
so say the new chassis with rotors instead of pistons....?

if so, from what i have heard from a friend who worked at mazmart on this exact thing, is its a close drop in. iirc he did all the electrical?

well guess make it longer,but id like the new RX to stay round 2700-800 pounds.

Boosted FC
03-15-2010, 04:52 PM
OK, the Renesis is almost a direct drop-in in the NC Miata. We have one here that we have been doing. Almost all the mounting points are the same. We are also using the RX8 6speed gearbox. I agree with Hypno that the sales of the Miata have been awesome & will continue to be that. The first couple of years & all the issues the RX8 suffered (04-05) killed a lot of sales. And the gas mileage.

HypnoToad
03-15-2010, 04:55 PM
i love RX-7s but in all seriousness,i dont see one now selling like the FB and FC did.

idk what its gonna take but i just dont think the market is right for it,cause to me they need to be shooting for C6 performace for people to look at it aside from people that already love rotary engines and the history.

Glides
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
The problems with the 13BT were motor born some, but the major problems with those engines and the FD's were the price point and the design. Before anyone flips...i'll explain.

The worst thing you can do to a Rotary is let it sit. You let them sit, and all sorts of shit starts going wrong with them. With the ridiculously high price point when they came out, $40k plus, you had people buying them as weekend cars, you had them buying them for toys, or for investments. They stuff them into a garage for months, then get into them and head out the driveway to hit boost and blow the carbon out...pop. Saw it numerous times.

Then the fact that if you ran the shit out of them, the design of the car, especially the poor underhood ventillation, caused the cool little vital things like hoses to become brittle and pop, wiring harnesses to become brittle and split and pretty much anything that was rubber under the hood to go to shit.....you have failures related to that too.

So you were either damned if you did, damned if you didn't. I know both ends of them, 2 personally. My 93 with the Automatic had 135,000 miles on it, still going strong. It was owned by a lady in Florida, drove it daily, let it warm up and it was great.

My 93 R1, built by Pettit Racing however....not so good. First motor popped a coolant bypass seal, second motor..same thing, third motor popped an apex and the fourth was just shit from the get go.

But when they ran....they ran like hell. So i'd be happy for them to come out with a new 7....but it's the same as the legend of Loch Ness....yea, it's there according to some folks, but it really isn't.

Boosted FC
03-16-2010, 06:55 AM
I guess the world will have to wait on Mazda to see if we do get a "new" RX7. If we do, I hope the styling is a lot better than what has been coming out of their studio as of late.

RUFFIAN
03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I say bring the Hard top MX5 from japan and put a Rotary in It.

Boosted FC
03-18-2010, 07:06 AM
I say bring the Hard top MX5 from japan and put a Rotary in It.

:goodjob: