PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Toyota really does suck that bad. They're saying no AWD for the coming Subaru Coupe.

EJ25RUN
03-13-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.7tune.com/no-awd-for-subarus-ft-86-clone/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/readerspytoyobarucoupeopt.jpg

No AWD For Subaru’s Version Of The FT-86

March 13, 2010 by Justin Karow
Filed under Japanese News, Latest Articles

Cost overruns have made Subaru think again about developing an AWD version of its FT-86 based sports car.

no_4wd_for_suabaru_261a

It’s been a while since we reported that Subaru were working on an AWD system for its 216A variant of the FT-86 compact sports car and since then some changes have come about concerning the driveline and how that could impact sales. Apparently development costs have spiralled to the point where Subaru can no longer justify the inclusion of the AWD system and as a result has brought some doubt upon the 216A’s ultimate sales potential as a ‘clone’. This has essentially rendered the rumored STi variant a carbon copy of the FT-86 G Sports Concept under its skin, so Subaru have now turned to exterior styling to make up for the lack of mechanical differentiation from the FT-86.

To bring added individuality to the 216A, the focus in now on redesigning the area from the A-pillar forward and giving it a more distinctive front end design rather than merely swapping badges and putting on a different grille. If Toyota do indeed go ahead and release the G Sports version of the FT-86, Subaru will counter that with its own STi version which will then provide the basis for an R205-like special edition.

Prices for the STi and G Sports versions are expected to be 3.5 million JPY and 3 million JPY respectively, with the base model for both automakers to sell for around 2.5 million JPY.

nreggie454
03-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I just read this on a different site. It's a shame. "Hey, AWD is waaay too expensive. Let's just give it a badass body kit and nobody will know the difference!"

JITB
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM
it doesnt really need to be awd. If it was where would the impreza /'Wrx/sti fit in. they would be just competing with each other.

EJ25RUN
03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
I just read this on a different site. It's a shame. "Hey, AWD is waaay too expensive. Let's just give it a badass body kit and nobody will know the difference!"

That's what happens when half of America is trying to sue you.

Funny how Subaru who gets everything right gets f'ed by the world's most boring car company. :rolleyes:

it doesnt really need to be awd. If it was where would the impreza /'Wrx/sti fit in. they would be just competing with each other.

AWD is the #1 piece of brand identity for Subaru. All the AWD marketing over the last 20 years goes out the window and Subaru becomes another mean nothing and stand for nothing car company.

JITB
03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
That's what happens when half of America is trying to sue you.

Funny how Subaru who gets everything right gets f'ed by the world's most boring car company. :rolleyes:

AWD is the #1 piece of brand identity for Subaru. All the AWD marketing over the last 20 years goes out the window and Subaru becomes another mean nothing and stand for nothing car company.

i know that is the one thing that kind of hurts this decision. BUT, they should have ironed this out before they started this project. from a business standpoint its a better move. because subaru doesnt need another awd tuner type vehicle in its lineup. its not like Wrxs and imprezas are flying of the lots as is.

toyota is pretty boring...lol cant deny that..

ghostrida3
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
It doesn't bother me. The purpose of this car I thought was to be an affordable entry level rwd platform. Like a 240 or the old school corrolla. It seems like in the last 20 years u have to buy either something.used or have enough money to get a z, or settle for the fwd entry level cars. Its about time they made something fun that's affordable and rwd-something that had some oversteer. If I got money for awd I would just buy an sti or a more expensive rwd coupe anyway and wouldn't even be looking for an ft-86. Sorry if my punctuation sucks my Droid is giving me problems today.