PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Is it just me or are cars under 500whp just flat-out BORING to drive daily?

ct9a gsr
03-13-2010, 07:08 AM
I feel like I'm cursed or something... I've owned a billion car ranging from all sorts of stupid power levels (over9000!)... I'm currently shopping for a spring/summer car. Something in me always tells me the logical thinking process: HEY, get a nice luxury DD to drive around in like most other financially-stout people my age... but noooo, I got this little devil on my shoulder telling me that any car under 500whp is a big pile of boring shit. =[

Just wondering... does anyone else here have this curse? Why can't I be a normal person and smile thinking 300whp cars are suuuper fun and fast? At this rate, I'll probably end up buying / building another beastly car to DD in this year... :screwy:

Glides
03-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I feel like I'm cursed or something... I've owned a billion car ranging from all sorts of stupid power levels (over9000!)... I'm currently shopping for a spring/summer car. Something in me always tells me the logical thinking process: HEY, get a nice luxury DD to drive around in like most other financially-stout people my age... but noooo, I got this little devil on my shoulder telling me that any car under 500whp is a big pile of boring shit. =[

Just wondering... does anyone else here have this curse? Why can't I be a normal person and smile thinking 300whp cars are suuuper fun and fast? At this rate, I'll probably end up buying / building another beastly car to DD in this year... :screwy:

Hey....you with the ridiculous problem. This is Import Atlanta, 85% of the people here drive the SAME Civic. They just pass it around for photo shoots.

They won't have an answer to your problem because none of them have ridden in a car with more than 243hp.

:goodjob:

umairejaz
03-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Must be nice. A lot of times the way a car overall feels has more to do with how exhilarating it is to drive verses purely its power output.

I can honestly say my 180hp mini is more fun then when I had my 410hp m3, but my 50hp raptor owns them all. I guess my experience is limited. :thinking:

allout13
03-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Cadillac CTS-V
over 500hp/nice luxurious dd
problem solved

whatever210
03-13-2010, 08:06 AM
my daily is h22 accord and my other car is my 240. their both fun do drive even tho theres a 300hp diff

Elbow
03-13-2010, 08:15 AM
You're looking in the wrong spot.

Horsepower is boring, a straight line fast car is boring, get something with a fun powerband and great handling.

Turbodude06
03-13-2010, 08:56 AM

Horsepower is boring, a straight line fast car is boring, get something with a fun powerband and great handling.

^:yes:... I think the most fun car, is one that you can slide around in(RWD) but usually those have at least 350-500hp to actually break the tires loose easily... But my 150hp GSR is much more fun then my 320hp srt-4 IMO....

Elbow
03-13-2010, 09:03 AM
^:yes:... I think the most fun car, is one that you can slide around in(RWD) but usually those have at least 350-500hp to actually break the tires loose easily... But my 150hp GSR is much more fun then my 320hp srt-4 IMO....

You don't need that much HP to break tires loose you need torque and not much of it.

Vteckidd
03-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Opinion . I've had the most fun blasting down the highway at 2am than driving in the mountains. Some people "straight line" is just more fun

Charles I have the same problem although not on your level. I've only owned one car over 500whp and it never saw the street.

My advice is buy a motorcycle that's what I did

Slomaro Z28
03-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Get a new Challenger, Camaro, or the new 5.0 Mustang.

Justin51982
03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
My little MG only has about 95hp and it is a blast to drive, depends what you are looking to get out of the car.

Elbow
03-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Opinion . I've had the most fun blasting down the highway at 2am than driving in the mountains. Some people "straight line" is just more fun

Charles I have the same problem although not on your level. I've only owned one car over 500whp and it never saw the street.

My advice is buy a motorcycle that's what I did

Well of course it's an opinion, everything in here is an opinion including the original post. lol

I don't bash straight line but really can't understand how it's fun. I've been in some stupid stupid fast cars and it's fun for a few times but then just gets boring. Same with bikes to me, I've never been able to get excited or anything going fast in a straight line on a bike.

e30pwr
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
its already been said, but buy a bike. half of the people on here dont have more than 250hp, so they can't exactly understand your issue.

03RCode
03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
After owning a string of 6-8 Sub-12.5 second cars then buying my truck I found myself feeling the same way. After owning the truck for a few months and not having to worry about running 93 or higher, cheaper insurance, more room and more comfortable on trips I was glad I made the change. I miss having a fast car some days, but a comfortable ride every day with minimal worries is hard to beat.

Elbow
03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
its already been said, but buy a bike. half of the people on here dont have more than 250hp, so they can't exactly understand your issue.

I don't have more than 250hp but have driven cars that do for weeks plus time and after a half an hour it becomes boring.

Are you all talking about the excitement factor or the annoyance in maintenance?

Big Baller
03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I feel your pain, depending on the car 400-450hp is about right for a daily...for me anyway.

My buddies Procharged Z06 makes 590whp and its about perfect for a daily, theres not much you are going to run into thats going to hang with that.

The Creeper
03-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Get another Supra Charles. That car was awesome. Or get a c6 and boost it.

CHADbee
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
i think you need another supra or H/C C6Z06

5speed
03-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Exactly what he said. You aren't a man if you don't take turns. That's like all these fools with Hayabusa's running their mouths talking about how there bike would win a race. Take the shit out to a track or mountains and see what counts. I am sure you already know this.

ct9a gsr
03-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I feel your pain, depending on the car 400-450hp is about right for a daily...for me anyway.

My buddies Procharged Z06 makes 590whp and its about perfect for a daily, theres not much you are going to run into thats going to hang with that.

Procharged Corvette sounds pretty fun... :goodjob:

Big Baller
03-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Procharged Corvette sounds pretty fun... :goodjob:

Its a blast but h\c\i will net you the same power. The procharged cars tend to overheat when pushed hard. His was so bad at little tally I couldn't even run a full lap without it over heating, unless I ran it in 4th gear. Mind you in 4th gear on street tires it ran sub 1:10s.

A HCI car with good tires and pads should be sub 1:03 which is damn near insane.

Mantooth
03-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Get an AMG. You can get them for dirt cheap and pick up an extended warranty from Chrysler for a pretty reasonable amount. :goodjob:

2turbo4u
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Even with X amount of horsepower you still goota find the room and the roads to use it. Safely!

osnap
03-20-2010, 10:34 PM
you must have passed the curse onto me when i bought the S from you. now all i want is a fucking Z06.

87 Turbo II
03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd rather toss a 150 hp car around at near full throttle than baby the shit out of a 500+ hp car and try not to die while still turning fast.

bdydrpdmazda
03-20-2010, 11:02 PM
the STi seems to work fine for me :dunno:

Mantooth
03-21-2010, 12:03 AM
the STi seems to work fine for me :dunno:I agree. You can toss those cars around like nobody's business and still feel like a better driver than you really are.

Gorilla Eg!
03-21-2010, 12:47 AM

a billion cars.... tad bit of an OVER-statement.....save your pennies and just buy a damn veyron or an apollo then you might be happy....

ct9a gsr
03-21-2010, 01:45 AM
you must have passed the curse onto me when i bought the S from you. now all i want is a fucking Z06.

Go buy one and sell the S back to me for what you paid for it... lol... notice how much S prices went up since I sold you that one? Silly me =D

the STi seems to work fine for me :dunno:

I sold my STi because it got boring to me... =[

a billion cars.... tad bit of an OVER-statement.....save your pennies and just buy a damn veyron or an apollo then you might be happy....

Yes, a billion... 100% literally.

Gorilla Eg!
03-21-2010, 01:59 AM
so y exactly cant you be happy with any car? this boggles my mind..... maybe you should try 2 wheels instead of 4.....much easier to go fast if thats all your after

01CDMLUDER
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Find a car that handles well... I love driving my cars on curvy roads... and u dont need 500+ to have fun on curvy roads...torque helps though

SeePlusPlus
03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
My car has almost no horsepower and I'm pretty sure I'm in the negative #'s for torque, but it's still a blast to drive. As long as I can throw a shifter around and hit some curves with pace I'm good to go.

tdurr
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM

i dont even think u have 150hp lol.

but i would say get a bike, or a well built car with 400hp and that handles like god, and ull prob be happy, wut kind of car that might be, i have no idea what u like.

KevinT707
03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Could have just stuck with the EVO you had in the beginning: AWD-turbo, lots of money & time spent, earned you reputation.

Nowadays I just assumed you gave up the scene & was into making money only.

shubert
03-23-2010, 11:04 PM
solution.......ae86 gt-s coupe with a nicely modded 4agze to push about 300 hp, a less than 2000 lbs. car , a ton of aftermarket support , rwd , and a dime a dozen. you can beat the living shit out of it , it will run by itself (lol toyota parody) and the gze has enough torque to break the tires loose half throttle . cheap , yet reliable , easily maintained.

or get your self a noble m12.....used for $50k new upwards of $100k. english built with a rear transversely mounted ford v6 with some being twin turbo...ive wridden in one of these , drove one and fallowed one...all the same car , this particular one was the track edition twin turbo , and i have yet to ride in a faster car with handling to match....and ive wrode in ferrari's , most all jap's , 1/4 mile queens , porsche's , you name it , the noble was hands down.

Verik
03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
charles.... try running, im willing to bet money that will get your heart rate higher than any shit ass 800whp poopra.

RL...
03-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Cts-v, porsche panamera, bmw 760, range rover supercharged, rolls royce phantom drophead, if you have money you can get a nice luxury car that hauls ass.......don't act like money can't buy you what you're looking for.

And if you don't have enough $$$$ to buy these cars then wtf are you bitching about. Man up and get money.

CHADbee
03-24-2010, 12:36 PM
most of these replies here are retarded. the man used to have a 700awhp evo...buying a stock 500 crank hp car no matter how good it handles will be slow to him.

charles you have 3 options....

1. another evo
2. another supra
3. forced induction LSx car(c5, c6, f-body)

ct9a gsr
03-24-2010, 01:48 PM
I can *clearly* tell that almost EVERYONE except maybe one or two ppl who posted in this thread have absolutely no clue of what I'm talking about or feeling... thanks Chad. =D

@Matt - why'd you freeze your LT?

@Kevin - I'm not really into the scene... I just like driving fast cars still.

@NissanTun3rz0rz0rzzz - I'm not *acting* like anything... and all those cars you listed feel slow to me, sorry.

BTW, I found a solution for now. =D

CHADbee
03-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I can *clearly* tell that almost EVERYONE except maybe one or two ppl who posted in this thread have absolutely no clue of what I'm talking about or feeling... thanks Chad. =D

BTW, I found a solution for now. =D
your welcome sugerbutt.

i say turbo vette or GT42R 6spd poopera.

Elbow
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
most of these replies here are retarded. the man used to have a 700awhp evo...buying a stock 500 crank hp car no matter how good it handles will be slow to him.

charles you have 3 options....

1. another evo
2. another supra
3. forced induction LSx car(c5, c6, f-body)

I assure you a 500 crank HP Miata would be a LOT LOT more intense than a 700awhp Evo.

CHADbee
03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I assure you a 500 crank HP Miata would be a LOT LOT more intense than a 700awhp Evo.
he wants fast not intense. a 500 hp miata would roast the tires till 140mph while a 500 hp evo pulls past it.

OnURleft
03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
I'd suggest finding less on ramps and more turns. I'd say the majority of the most addicting cars to drive every day, even with mods are well under 500whp and would never get old

Elbow
03-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I'd suggest finding less on ramps and more turns. I'd say the majority of the most addicting cars to drive every day, even with mods are well under 500whp and would never get old

X2

Verik
03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
@Matt - why'd you freeze your LT?

twice a week didnt justify the 50$. told brian im getting shit in order first and then ill reactivate.... but only if i have time to go 3-5 times a week.

TougeGTR-33
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I think im with you on that one, I cant stand anything under 400 hp.

Patterson
03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Exactly what he said. You aren't a man if you don't take turns. That's like all these fools with Hayabusa's running their mouths talking about how there bike would win a race. Take the shit out to a track or mountains and see what counts. I am sure you already know this.

just a question but have you took a bike down the strip that runs 8's or better? i'm not trying to start an argument but i've done curves and track days and i love them, but i don't get the feeling there that i get on my orange bike. Plus pushing a bike really hard in the mountains is asking to loose the bike. i've been really really close to losing a couple just trying to push them to the limit, gravel, cars, ect. and have seen friends down many times. theres just somthing about straight line that does it for me. To me its more skill with a little bit less focus. but i do miss the focus it takes for the curves and how everything else seems to leave your mind. also i'm not one of the fools to brag about how i can win a race. I race against my previous time slip not whats beside me.

5speed
03-25-2010, 02:36 PM
just a question but have you took a bike down the strip that runs 8's or better? i'm not trying to start an argument but i've done curves and track days and i love them, but i don't get the feeling there that i get on my orange bike. Plus pushing a bike really hard in the mountains is asking to loose the bike. i've been really really close to losing a couple just trying to push them to the limit, gravel, cars, ect. and have seen friends down many times. theres just somthing about straight line that does it for me. To me its more skill with a little bit less focus. but i do miss the focus it takes for the curves and how everything else seems to leave your mind. also i'm not one of the fools to brag about how i can win a race. I race against my previous time slip not whats beside me.

I haven't taken a bike to a strip to race, and never have driven a street bike on the street. I only have done road courses and don't think that feeling of turns can be beat. I know plenty of adrenaline junkies who have done drag, road race, sky diving, base jumping, and all other sorts of stuff but never get the satisfaction they do when they race on a road course. I don't commend racing a bike through mountains or anything, just thought. I just prefer twists and turns. Preference I guess.

01CDMLUDER
03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Just man up and get a LFA

Apex i ITR
03-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Don't drive your "fun" car everyday. Thats why you're boared. If you DD to work in a commuter car (some un-inspiring truck/jeep/sedan) and then leave your fun car for the weekend you will appreciate it more (plus you keep the wear and tear everyday miles off).

KodyH
03-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Don't drive your "fun" car everyday. Thats why you're boared. If you DD to work in a commuter car (some un-inspiring truck/jeep/sedan) and then leave your fun car for the weekend you will appreciate it more (plus you keep the wear and tear everyday miles off).

You obviously can't read.

Apex i ITR
03-29-2010, 09:08 PM
i can read, its fundamental thanks

slostang
03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
co-sign on a H/C/I C6 vette.

The Creeper
03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
I think he solved his problem.