PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your bike?

sirkus
03-13-2010, 01:23 AM
I recently got back on two wheels again. The bike was 100% spotless for the first few days, but getting caught in the rain that has been plaguing Georgia the past few days, I am in for a good cleaning now. I was wondering if you guys may have a few tricks up your sleeve? Cleaning my previous bikes I always just used a mitt, rag and regular car soap. I noticed the other day that my dad sprayed some S100 from the HD shop and then used the pressure washer (from a distance), then polish the chrome after it's dry... on his Street Bob.

I was wondering if I would just be better off with a rag and a mitt to clean it? Or does s100 really make that big of a difference on washing a bike? Or are there other tricks?

Just share your tricks, different products you use. Figured it would help with all of us keeping our bikes beautiful! :cheers:

And I also look forward to doing some riding with you guys. :goodjob:

David88vert
03-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Honda polish. Yes, you can use it on bikes other than Hondas. Most bike shops carry it.
http://www.bernardiparts.com/images/products/SprayCleanerPolish_m.gif

yomomspimp06
03-13-2010, 07:54 AM
10r is a serious ride man...2 thumbs up!
my zx6r is black. I just use car wash and this special wax for black paint. shines when she's all done!

sirkus
03-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda polish. Yes, you can use it on bikes other than Hondas. Most bike shops carry it.
How much does a can usually cost? Do you just spray it on, wait a min or two then wipe it down? Or do you wash the bike first, then spray and wipe?

10r is a serious ride man...2 thumbs up!
my zx6r is black. I just use car wash and this special wax for black paint. shines when she's all done!
Yeah this zx10 is the fastest thing I've ever had between my legs ;)
Do you get that black polish at a bike shop? Or can it be found at Autozone/Advance?

Is using a pressure washer a BIG NO NO? I've heard someone say before that it will make the paint crack faster if used.. but I wasn't planning on using it right on top of the plastics.

So many questions :doh:

Halfwit
03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
X2 ON THE HONDA!! you spray it on, wait a few seconds, and wipe clean, bike should be mostly clean before it, as it brings out the shine and hidden dirt that you may not see. i would get a regular spray bottle of "wash and wax" car cleaner to clean it, then finish with honda stuff.
How much does a can usually cost? Do you just spray it on, wait a min or two then wipe it down? Or do you wash the bike first, then spray and wipe?

Yeah this zx10 is the fastest thing I've ever had between my legs ;)
Do you get that black polish at a bike shop? Or can it be found at Autozone/Advance?

Is using a pressure washer a BIG NO NO? I've heard someone say before that it will make the paint crack faster if used.. but I wasn't planning on using it right on top of the plastics.

David88vert
03-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Spray on, wipe off. Very easy.

Large cans are around $10.

No need for a pressure washer on a street bike.

6speed
03-13-2010, 10:59 AM
HONDA SPRAY CLEANER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

BLK JDM
03-13-2010, 11:14 AM

That's the same thing I and most other people I personally ride w/ use. Very simple. Spray on, wipe off. Very good stuff.

§treet_§peed
03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I used to wash mine at the car wash. I didn't use the brush ever because it will scratch the piss out of it. I did use the foam the car wash here has. Then I would rinse and hand dry then polish the chrome. When I first got my bike, I buffed it after washing and drying it.

THATdude
03-13-2010, 12:54 PM
s100 works better as a touch up between washes more like a wax than cleaner.

Tech5
03-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I stick to the old fashion way.... Hand was and soap... dry ... then apply Mothers wax, and then I use a power buffer and buff it out.... then I keep it clean with a spray detail wipe on wipe off....Been doing this for years and I will continue to do so

95droppedhatch
03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
we use orielly's car soap and water lol on all our fresh paint work we do at the shop so it would just as good on factory paint. this just all depends on personal prefernce. ive owned 6 bikes and have used regualr soap and water on all them and have owne 3 black bikes and ever a scratch on them

bigb996
03-14-2010, 11:05 AM
i just picked up an 09 6r brand new last week and im looking forward to seeing how it compares to my old bikes. Ive always used meguires nx2 carwash, and wax on my cars and bikes and soft terry clothes and always had great results.

Patterson
03-16-2010, 06:49 AM
I point my finger and say wash it woman or you get no dick........... works every time :D

chuck
03-17-2010, 11:26 AM
+36478932 for the spray cleaner & polish....my can looks about the same as davids picture but says "ORIGINAL bike spirits - SPRAY CLEANER & POLISH" ....works great, super quick. make sure you have a nice soft towell or microfiber to wipe with or you will get swirls, especially on the black, $5.75 for a big 14oz. can, still had the price tag on it.

always worked on my bike, i think i used the hose and bucket once in 10,000 miles.

sirkus
03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
I point my finger and say wash it woman or you get no dick........... works every time :D
Lmao.. I tried that.. Got nothing but rolling eyes and the finger. :( Think I might have to bring my bike by your house!

i just picked up an 09 6r brand new last week and im looking forward to seeing how it compares to my old bikes. Ive always used meguires nx2 carwash, and wax on my cars and bikes and soft terry clothes and always had great results.
I'll be buying some microfiber cloths soon :)

+36478932 for the spray cleaner & polish....my can looks about the same as davids picture but says "ORIGINAL bike spirits - SPRAY CLEANER & POLISH" ....works great, super quick. make sure you have a nice soft towell or microfiber to wipe with or you will get swirls, especially on the black, $5.75 for a big 14oz. can, still had the price tag on it.

always worked on my bike, i think i used the hose and bucket once in 10,000 miles.

So you don't have to wash the bike? You just use the polish to wipe it down to make it shine?

chuck
03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
So you don't have to wash the bike? You just use the polish to wipe it down to make it shine?

if you have a lot of dirt and dust you may want to hose it off to help avoid little swirls and scratches...but the cleaner/polish is designed to be used on a DRY surface. i've used mine on a bike covered in pollen with no problems, maybe throw a dab of wax over the gas tank.

Patterson
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Lmao.. I tried that.. Got nothing but rolling eyes and the finger. :( Think I might have to bring my bike by your house!

Come on over she knows im from the slap-a-hoe tribe so i'll get you fixed right up. "wispering" don't say any of this if you come out. :lmfao:

sirkus
05-05-2010, 01:37 AM
I know it's been a while.. but I've picked up a can of this stuff.. kick ass cleaning. Saddly it's a lot faster than hosing the bike down, then wiping it down, then having to dry it off.. then having to ride it and sling all of the water off.. then wipe it down again. Took me about 30 mins to clean the bike. No more leaf blower on the side of the bike. Really only if the engine was covered with dirt or something.