PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Dynoing a car...

quickdodgeŽ
03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Is it a must to rev the car at high RPMs to get a data reading? I don't know anything about dynoing a car so that's why the question. Later, QD.

ilbcnu123
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
i have dynoed my car a few times but i have never revved it at high rpms. I just leave it in 4th gear and start pulling from like 2.5k RPM and take it to redline (full throttle all the way). Taking it through all of the RPM range best shows torque and hp

antiv6
03-12-2010, 02:06 PM
they never did it for my car at the shops ive been to, just went through 4th from 2000-redline then let off

quickdodgeŽ
03-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Redline is high revs, though. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
You're measuring hp for a given rpm. So if you car redlined at 7000 you can do a pull from 2000-5000 and see what kind of power it makes till that point or you can rev it to 6000,6500,7000 etc

a dynojet you start from a low rpm and build towards where to want to stop

later, qd

Vteckidd
03-12-2010, 02:13 PM
If you're talking about dynoing your civic I'm sure it makes peak power at like 3000 rpms well before redline so there's no need to rev it to "redline"

quickdodgeŽ
03-12-2010, 02:15 PM
If you're talking about dynoing your civic I'm sure it makes peak power at like 3000 rpms well before redline so there's no need to rev it to "redline"

I am. That's what I want to do...dyno the 79. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Well on that car they would start from like 1000rpm and do a pull to prob 3000-3500 and see if it stops climbing. If power dropped off at 2500 it means it already reached peal power

They would give you a graph in increments of 100 rpm instead of 1000 like most higher revving cars

hope that helps

5speed
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
So QD has like 70 whp at the most...

Elbow
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
70whp would actually be impressive...

5speed
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
70whp would actually be impressive...

Doesnt he have an 80's Accord CVCC engine in it?

Elbow
03-12-2010, 02:40 PM

I think so, I just still think that'd be high to the wheels. lol

Stock 88-91 Std/DX's can barely make that to the wheels.

5speed
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I think so, I just still think that'd be high to the wheels. lol

Stock 88-91 Std/DX's can barely make that to the wheels.

I am assuming he went with the 86hp ES2 since it is a CVCC and had the most power before the ES3 which was a non CVCC with 110hp. I think he would have stayed with a CVCC engine since that what his car had.

Elbow
03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
What year Accord are those from? I had a 81 Accord for a few months but threw it in the scrap yard.

Vteckidd
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
If he makes 70whp I would be amazed.

Elbow
03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
If he makes 70whp I would be amazed.

I already said that say the opposite or else we all die.

5speed
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I already said that say the opposite or else we all die.

It was just a 15% estimation off the top of my head. lol

I would give it mid 60s

Schroeder
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Is it a must to rev the car at high RPMs to get a data reading? I don't know anything about dynoing a car so that's why the question. Later, QD.

Are you looking for a AFR as well or just looking to get a baseline before modding? If looking for an AFR make sure and have an O2 bung welded in before you go. Plus take all associated jets and a spare set of plugs if your going for "Tuning". Also if you are going for tuning make sure to find out if you are "renting" the Dyno or if the shop is doing all of the work. That way you know what tools to bring. Good luck and enjoy the experience!!!

DirtyMechanic
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Are you looking for a AFR as well or just looking to get a baseline before modding? If looking for an AFR make sure and have an O2 bung welded in before you go. Plus take all associated jets and a spare set of plugs if your going for "Tuning". Also if you are going for tuning make sure to find out if you are "renting" the Dyno or if the shop is doing all of the work. That way you know what tools to bring. Good luck and enjoy the experience!!!
there is no need for 02 bung in the exhaust. a WB at the tail pipe is just fine for tuning and also knowing where you are at.

Schroeder
03-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I've always heard that the readings aren't as accurate if taken from the Tail pipe. Seeing as the exhaust goes through a muffler and Cat if installed. Now would it matter for his setup? More than likely no.

DirtyMechanic
03-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I've always heard that the readings aren't as accurate if taken from the Tail pipe. Seeing as the exhaust goes through a muffler and Cat if installed. Now would it matter for his setup? More than likely no.
i have seen many 500 600 and 700whp cars dyno'd with tail pipe WB its only roughly 100-200 rpms if that delayed on reading. and maybe .1-.2 AFR leaner. but usually its whatever your tuner is comfortable with.

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2010, 05:53 AM

I am assuming he went with the 86hp ES2 since it is a CVCC and had the most power before the ES3 which was a non CVCC with 110hp. I think he would have stayed with a CVCC engine since that what his car had.

I have an EK engine. It is a straight drop in while any other needed modifications to the bay. It came from a 1979 Honda Accord. It started off with 72 horse power.

I don't know what AFR is, but I am just wanting to know what this engine's horse power is right now. It's a completely stock engine. Later, QD.

punkr6
03-13-2010, 06:23 AM
AFR = air fuel ratio

Later, Punkr6

David88vert
03-13-2010, 07:13 AM
I have an EK engine. It is a straight drop in while any other needed modifications to the bay. It came from a 1979 Honda Accord. It started off with 72 horse power.

I don't know what AFR is, but I am just wanting to know what this engine's horse power is right now. It's a completely stock engine. Later, QD.

Just go to a dyno and get a set of pulls. They will handle everything for you, and will give you the printout when they have finished.

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Just go to a dyno and get a set of pulls. They will handle everything for you, and will give you the printout when they have finished.

Well that is my question. With my old engine, I'm nervous about something breaking. If they break it, will they take care of that? Later, QD.

B18c1Turboed
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Well that is my question. With my old engine, I'm nervous about something breaking. If they break it, will they take care of that? Later, QD.

Nope all shops have you sign a wavier. Well most shops atleast!

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Nope all shops have you sign a wavier. Well most shops atleast!

That's what I thought. And I can't afford for a shop to blow my engine and I have to fix it. And I know that if the engine blew (for the most part) it wouldn't be the shop's fault at all. Later, QD.

5speed
03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
QD.

Hmmm... I could have sworn you had an old Accord engine but whatever, I was wrong. An EK engine in that car isn't bad at all. I am surprised to see it drops right in.

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Hmmm... I could have sworn you had an old Accord engine but whatever, I was wrong. An EK engine in that car isn't bad at all. I am surprised to see it drops right in.

I am 2 for my last 2 in confusing you, man. WAKE UP!!! Later, QD.

5speed
03-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I am 2 for my last 2 in confusing you, man. WAKE UP!!! Later, QD.

I think I was thinking of someone else who had a car in Covington that had the same car with the engine I thought. I am slow lately, damn. :(

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I think I was thinking of someone else who had a car in Covington that had the same car with the engine I thought. I am slow lately, damn. :(

You said you thought that my car had an Accord engine it but were wrong. I DO have the Accord engine in mine. You even quoted me saying it, lolol. Later, QD.

5speed
03-13-2010, 07:48 PM
You said you thought that my car had an Accord engine it but were wrong. I DO have the Accord engine in mine. You even quoted me saying it, lolol. Later, QD.

:thinking: Ahhh. I see. I was thinking EK as in the Civic chassis! lol

I am so full of fail right now. I didn't even think about the engine code. Forgive me. :(

OnURleft
03-14-2010, 04:39 AM
HP at a given RPM

David88vert
03-14-2010, 08:46 AM
That's what I thought. And I can't afford for a shop to blow my engine and I have to fix it. And I know that if the engine blew (for the most part) it wouldn't be the shop's fault at all. Later, QD.

Is the car already tuned and you just want to do some pulls, or do you need the car tuned?

If it is already tuned, and tuned properly, the dyno will not blow up the motor. The dyno is nothing more than a rolling road. If it will blow on the dyno, it will blow on the street.

If the car is not tuned, you need to take it to the dyno to be tuned. That costs more of course, and you will want to go with a tuner you trust. Unfortunately, no tuner is going to guarantee that they will not blow your motor.

If you want to see where your A/F is now, come by the house, and we will put my WB on the car and test. You can minimize the chance of damage by knowing where you stand first. That way, you can be more confident before you go to the dyno to get your output readings.

quickdodgeŽ
03-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Is the car already tuned and you just want to do some pulls, or do you need the car tuned?

If it is already tuned, and tuned properly, the dyno will not blow up the motor. The dyno is nothing more than a rolling road. If it will blow on the dyno, it will blow on the street.

If the car is not tuned, you need to take it to the dyno to be tuned. That costs more of course, and you will want to go with a tuner you trust. Unfortunately, no tuner is going to guarantee that they will not blow your motor.

If you want to see where your A/F is now, come by the house, and we will put my WB on the car and test. You can minimize the chance of damage by knowing where you stand first. That way, you can be more confident before you go to the dyno to get your output readings.
It's just a factory 1979 Honda Accord engine in there so I don't need any tuning done, lolol. Later, QD.

2turbo4u
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I would be surprised if the car can even turn the rollers...jk!
Q.D go to a dyno day and get your numbers for less about $35, then paying over $100 bucks to get the same results. Or borrow someones I-phone and use the g-meter app.

David88vert
03-15-2010, 08:54 AM
It's just a factory 1979 Honda Accord engine in there so I don't need any tuning done, lolol. Later, QD.

Then all you need to do is go and get some pulls done. It will be the smae amount of stress as driving it on the road, and doing a pull there.