PDA

View Full Version : Misc WHAT THE FUCK IS A PLANTAIN.

RandomGuy
03-30-2005, 12:20 AM
what the hell is a plantain every1... Shit i heard some of my friends talkin bout them...so i figured it was like a banana. I bought a couple at Kroger and they taste like shit. They are really hard and not easy to bite into. They aint even remotely sweet. wtf ... am i missing something? Do you have to cook them a special way b4 eating them? Do u gotta eat em a special way.... Shit, theyre nothing like bananas. They taste like ass and potatoes with sweet-n-low. But mad friends are raving like plantains are the shit.

who knows... someone enlighten me. :pokeeye:

Canton_G35
03-30-2005, 12:43 AM
slice them into thin slices length wise and fry them

Big Rick
03-30-2005, 12:49 AM
slice them into thin slices length wise and fry them

what he said^^ i like to add alittle salt after i fry them. i have a new camera so when mom makes some i'll show u how she does em by pics. thats if i have time. :D

FrnkPwrs
03-30-2005, 04:08 AM
Damn, I shoulda have took pics of the ones I ate today! You can cook tostones and dip em in ketchup like french fries. They taste better than french fries. Next time you order a sandwich at a restuarant that has them, get tostenes.

If you fry them when they are ripe, they turn real sweat. Those are my favorites!

Depending on how ripe they are, you cook them differently. You can boil them, smash them with the bottom of a cup, take some of the water that you boiled them with and poor it over, smash them some more and you got some mangu. Eat that with some eggs and you got yourself some breakfast!

RandomGuy
03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
lol damn so is it sweet like a banana or more like a potato. i might hit it up soon.

if what yall are saying is true that means itd be some bomb shit if i dip it in whipped cream !

thinkfast®
03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
I dont know about all that, LOL you can fry them like Frank said, then they turn crispy and they are like potato chips :D

Julio
03-31-2005, 10:09 AM
plantains are the shit, just had some Mangu( dominican) or Mofongo(puerto ricans) a couple of days ago.

Jaimecbr900
03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
ROFLMAO>>>>>> :lmfao: :lmfao:

OMG, I almost fell out of my chair. Thanks Random Guy. :D

Just like everyone is telling you. You have to peel them, slice them slightly angled, press them, fry them (just like you fry french fries), and then eat them while they're still warm. A little salt on top, little ketchup to go with it.......DELICIOUS. My wife, who was born and raised in GA (ie. aint never seen a freaking plaintain before she met me), loves them. She eats them as her appetizer everytime we go to a spanish restaurant.

For sweet ones, the plaintain has to be ripe. There are several ways to cook them too, but the most popular is the same as the tostones above. Difference is that when they come out, they are soft and not hard like tostones and they are also very sweet unlike tostones. Cooking them is the same though. They are very good with yellow rice and beans.

You can also cook them, smash them up to make a dry kind of dough like, and then stuff them with anything from seafood to meat. That's called mofongo. The only thing about mofongo is that depending on the cook, it can turn out really really good or really dry (which to me is NOT good). I like pouring a little fish stock over mine to keep it moist and add lots of flavor.

What you really need to do is go with someone that KNOWS to a spanish restaurant and try them out. If you don't like them, then atleast you'll know it's not because you didn't know to cook them....... :lmfao: I'm still laughing about that one......too funny.

Jaimecbr900
03-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Anybody else freaking hungry now?????? :cool:

thinkfast®
03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
I am fuckin starving right now. looks like I wll be hittin up Puerta Plata in a lil bit... :D

Jaimecbr900
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I am fuckin starving right now. looks like I wll be hittin up Puerta Plata in a lil bit... :D

Which one is that one?

Tasuki_Civic
03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
lol damn so is it sweet like a banana or more like a potato. i might hit it up soon.

if what yall are saying is true that means itd be some bomb shit if i dip it in whipped cream !

If you cook them rite............they are very sweet. like bananas but better. and them mix them with spicy rice, black beans and seasoned chicken ( jerk) that shit taste so good.

FrnkPwrs
03-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Which one is that one?

On singleton in the Kroger shopping center next to the wing spot.

Jaimecbr900
03-31-2005, 11:33 AM
On singleton in the Kroger shopping center next to the wing spot.

Oh, I've been there. That's the Dominican place, right?

FrnkPwrs
03-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Yea, its used to be a club on Thursday and Sunday. Food is pretty good. I like the cook at santo domingo better though! But hte service takes too damn long to just run in and out for lunch

Kevykev
03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Damn where was i when this topic started..

Thanks for Informing his ass people....

Regulate up in this piece!!!

FrnkPwrs
03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Hehe, carribean and west indian folks represent!

Sledlude
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
go to Papi's on poncey... theyll hook you up with some bomb plantain shit

RandomGuy
03-31-2005, 02:41 PM
preciate it ppl...

so harsh tho... haha damn i GOTTA try those heard they give you the shits though...but its all good if it tastes good.

thinkfast®
03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
naw man if they are made right there is really no nasty taste to them, to be honest I cant eat plantains any other way :D

Jerry
03-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Ok the way I have always ate them. Was we microwave them and put butter on them. There the shit. If you never tried it you have to.

ISAtlanta300
04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Plaintain's ownz joo....

Anybody knows where I can get some "KILLER" mariquitas???

(Sliced plantains, fried like chips...with garlic/lemon/butter sauce)

Jaimecbr900
04-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Plaintain's ownz joo....

Anybody knows where I can get some "KILLER" mariquitas???

(Sliced plantains, fried like chips...with garlic/lemon/butter sauce)

Platanutres?

RandomGuy
06-07-2005, 11:57 PM
bump for its classic-ness

Kevykev
06-08-2005, 08:30 AM
had some over the weekend :D

B16a2 Civic
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Cool.

Z33_kid
06-08-2005, 01:22 PM
what the hell is a plantain every1... Shit i heard some of my friends talkin bout them...so i figured it was like a banana. I bought a couple at Kroger and they taste like shit. They are really hard and not easy to bite into. They aint even remotely sweet. wtf ... am i missing something? Do you have to cook them a special way b4 eating them? Do u gotta eat em a special way.... Shit, theyre nothing like bananas. They taste like ass and potatoes with sweet-n-low. But mad friends are raving like plantains are the shit.

who knows... someone enlighten me. :pokeeye:

dang u juss ate it like that lol juss cut en up an fry em like every one saying lol :)