PDA

View Full Version : Misc Question for military folk - serving honorably?

Stormhammer
03-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Service During Hostilities : By Executive Order Number 13269, dated July 3, 2002, President Bush declared that all those persons serving honorably in active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States at any time on or after September 11, 2001 until a date to be announced, are eligible to apply for naturalization in accordance with the service during hostilities statutory exception in Section 329 of the INA to the naturalization requirements. This means that individuals with even one day of honorable active duty service can apply for citizenship, regardless of how long they have been a resident. Note: Under this provision, individuals who apply for citizenship after discharge must present a DD Form 214, with service characterized as "Honorable," or "General." Those with other characterizations (including Entry Level Separation), are not eligible.

-----

What exactly dictates serving honorably and what is considered active-duty status? Does this apply as soon as I am out of basic? Or would this be after technical school?

I ask because technically, I am a non-citizen enlisting. They gave me a limited list of things to choose, only taking the pre-ASVAB, I scored an 88 out of 99. I've been studying lately to try to score even higher, and my green card has been approved, just that right now USCIS is processing and issuing out green cards to those who applied in Dec. of 2002. Mine was April of 2006...

Anywho, anyone can give some clarification? I want to go into MEPS with as much information as I possibly can to present my case that I am to become a citizen one way or another, and will not settle for something like a physician due to the USCIS having a load paperwork.