PDA

View Full Version : '94 Altima no spark?

bam-bam
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
This is my wife's 70-some year-old aunt's car. KA24DE with 110K miles. I've been servicing it for at least ten years- no problems. Well, I did replace the distributor 9/'08.

Tonight she brought it to me complaining of it running rough. I listened to it and noted it was skipping. Checking for the skip, I pulled the plug wires off one by one to determine which cylinder (#2 fwiw) was misfiring. So far so good, right?

Before I got any further along, wifey comes out and I'm showing her what I've done- repeating the process of pulling plug wires etc. - and the engine died... and will NOT restart. I checked and there is no ignition spark. What component could I have damaged by removing wires with it running? I checked all of the fuses (that I could find) and found none blown. I'm at a loss what to check first...
The only similar experience that comes to mind is when I fried the coil in an obd1 Integra doing a compression test without removing ECU fuse.

Anybody with experience in this engine? Know how to pull Fault codes? How to shadetree-test ignition components?

discuss...

bam-bam
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
It was the distributor.

I'd still like to know how to pull DTCs....

5speed
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Could be the ignition coil maybe? Had a problem like that with my Camaro and replaced the part and it was fixed.

Kevykev
03-11-2010, 06:45 AM
It was the distributor.

I'm sure oil infiltrated the core huh?

Glad you figured it out. Happened to me before.

bam-bam
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah, now that it's running, I still gotta change the water pump and figure out why the steering pump is rattling...

5speed
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
It was the distributor.

For some reason I thought I read "Is it the distributor?"

:facepalm:

wanganU13
03-13-2010, 07:41 PM
pull the cover off at your feet on the drivers side floor board(left of ur feet)then turn the screw clockwise and then counter clockwise with the igniction on with lights lit on dash and then it will start blinking the check engine light and give any codes stored