PDA

View Full Version : painting car?

metro larev
03-07-2010, 10:57 PM
anyone got some links for me to look at on how to do it the right way?

BIG WORM
03-08-2010, 06:25 AM
so you have a paint booth in your front yard?...if not you better call macco, or a body shop that has one, cause that's the ONLY right way...

95droppedhatch
03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
so you have a paint booth in your front yard?...if not you better call macco, or a body shop that has one, cause that's the ONLY right way...

yup he is right need a paint booth. but there really isnt any site that tells you how to paint a car. and it takes time to learn to paint a car need to know the chemicals reducers and everything that goes with it to go with the temperture take time and practice i would just google it but if you lived around here i could let you borrow my i-car cd's that i got when i graduated from UTI for autobody and painting that i dont use cause it goes out the window in real life but i can let you borrow it to try and learn but kinda useless just pm me if you are interested im in conyers:goodjob:

1NonlyAccord
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
heres my 150$ paint job. DIY
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192467

boostedb16
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
you dont really have to have a real paint booth. if you have a garage with 4 walls and a roof then thats a start. get plenty of lighting and a big fan, some air filters and wet the floor right before you start to paint and that part is taken care of. get you a good gun and a big enough air compressor. go to the paint store and tell them what you want and it tells you how to mix it on the side of the can. hold your gun 8-12 inch's from the surface at around 28 psi for base coat and 30-32 psi for clear. overlap your strokes. spray at a medium pace. get a hood or something and practice. the best way to learn is to just do it.

2003Accord
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Or SprayGlo. lol

boostedb16
03-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Or SprayGlo. loli think this is why he posted it in the "DYI" section.

95droppedhatch
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
your right you really dont need a paint booth but do get a good job without problems its better to have a paint booth and if you dont wanna get caught and have a pretty good fine for painting at a residential area without proper ventialation then you can do it at home

andrewu
03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
step 1) phone book/references. 2) money. Whatever you do DO NOT SPRAY PAINT. i hate it when people do that.

boostedb16
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
step 1) phone book/references. 2) money. Whatever you do DO NOT SPRAY PAINT. i hate it when people do that.yes, please dont rattle can your car. look if you base/clear. you can dry spray,orange peel or run the clear. it all buff's out.

dallasb84
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
well.....spraying outside is expensive...... if you do it right....

sherwin williams make a clear coat that you can wet sand and buff in 15 minutes..... thats right..... 15 minutes...

it is hard in 7 minutes....

and its 215 ish a gallon.....

otherwise...... your going to end up with a mess if you use conventional clear coat outside.....

it will look like someone took a handfull of snad and threw it on your car..... thats what dust will do...

also...... with spot clear..... sherwin williams hpc15 is recomended for panel painting.... and with panel painting it is not recomended to paint heavy metalics.... and lighter colors......

you have a chance of tiger striping having a 1/4 panel darker or lighter than a door... and so on....

only colors i paint out of a booth is black.... its easy to shine and hide paint defects....

boostedb16
03-09-2010, 07:05 PM
well.....spraying outside is expensive...... if you do it right....

sherwin williams make a clear coat that you can wet sand and buff in 15 minutes..... thats right..... 15 minutes...

it is hard in 7 minutes....

and its 215 ish a gallon.....

otherwise...... your going to end up with a mess if you use conventional clear coat outside.....

it will look like someone took a handfull of snad and threw it on your car..... thats what dust will do...

also...... with spot clear..... sherwin williams hpc15 is recomended for panel painting.... and with panel painting it is not recomended to paint heavy metalics.... and lighter colors......

you have a chance of tiger striping having a 1/4 panel darker or lighter than a door... and so on....

only colors i paint out of a booth is black.... its easy to shine and hide paint defects....have you ever tried clearing a whole car with about 3 coats with a clear that dry's in 7 min's. thats a mother fucker lol. i screwed up and grabbed some and started clearing a whole car. that sucked.

dallasb84
03-10-2010, 02:19 AM
ummmm..... 3 coats is wayyyy too much.....

your supposed to do two coats max with any airbake clear.....

i do one VERY light coat..... then i spray it heavy and fast......... almost to a run and with very high pressure to lay it flat....

it will melt literally and then stick

the trick to clear coat is to get it right berfore it runs..... then its glass...

but that takes skill.....

lol

boostedb16
03-10-2010, 06:37 PM
ummmm..... 3 coats is wayyyy too much.....

your supposed to do two coats max with any airbake clear.....

i do one VERY light coat..... then i spray it heavy and fast......... almost to a run and with very high pressure to lay it flat....

it will melt literally and then stick

the trick to clear coat is to get it right berfore it runs..... then its glass...

but that takes skill.....

loldont mean to toot my own horn but i have some pretty good skill at it. i have never cleared like you said but hell i will try it on my next one............:goodjob:

JessAlba452
03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
^

Definitely try it out you might like it lol :D

That's what I do. A very light coat to get a tack coat of clear. Then spray it on heavy, but make sure not to run it. Very glassy looking without orange peel and much less sanding. Just to get a dust nib here or there, but that's it. :)

jap_racer1
03-14-2010, 11:00 PM
its all about the gun and the compressor mostly the compressor use atleast a 60 gallon or you will get tiger stripes or metallic will run all kinds of crap garage is good if you can wet the walls and floor awsome it keeps the trash and stuff from floating around a lot make sure you have a window or leave the garage door open a lil bit and put a fan sucking it out single stage wont do you wrong for the first time its cheap and easy omni you can get most gallons with hardner and reducer $150-200 the gravity feed guns at walmart are not to bad otherwise go to summitt and buy the cheap titans there pretty good for the price and dont over do it spray thin coats and you shouldnt run its not a spray can

boostedb16
03-15-2010, 12:00 AM
its all about the gun and the compressor mostly the compressor use atleast a 60 gallon or you will get tiger stripes or metallic will run all kinds of crap garage is good if you can wet the walls and floor awsome it keeps the trash and stuff from floating around a lot make sure you have a window or leave the garage door open a lil bit and put a fan sucking it out single stage wont do you wrong for the first time its cheap and easy omni you can get most gallons with hardner and reducer $150-200 the gravity feed guns at walmart are not to bad otherwise go to summitt and buy the cheap titans there pretty good for the price and dont over do it spray thin coats and you shouldnt run its not a spray canthats like tell chad that its all about the camera. you have to have some knowlege of how far to hold the gun, how to set the gun up and how to over lap your strokes.

dallasb84
03-15-2010, 04:09 AM
on some metallics i hold my gun as far as 18inches from surface....... and wave my gun around randomly..... if..... the booth isnt too strong

heavy metallic grays and silvers..... gold flake too

sometimes i have to do this on infinity or nissan...... because the metallic is bigger.... and has a wierd blend....

but .... usually i just hold the gun where it tells me to....

makes a v pattern and has two strokes in the vee....... where it all comes together is where i hold my distance..... kinda hard to explain

dallasb84
03-15-2010, 04:10 AM
jaguar paint is a bitch....... very hard to blend on the newer models....

boostedb16
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
on some metallics i hold my gun as far as 18inches from surface....... and wave my gun around randomly..... if..... the booth isnt too strong

heavy metallic grays and silvers..... gold flake too

sometimes i have to do this on infinity or nissan...... because the metallic is bigger.... and has a wierd blend....

but .... usually i just hold the gun where it tells me to....

makes a v pattern and has two strokes in the vee....... where it all comes together is where i hold my distance..... kinda hard to explainYea when i spray a high metalic, on the last coat I hold my gun higher and basicly just dust it and it blends pretty good that way.

G.C
03-15-2010, 05:32 PM
i have a infinity.......maybe you guys can paint it for me :). and make a diy video out of it.

Sixth_Vang
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Please take it to a shop if you want to get it "done right". I've messed around with too many people on here that "know" how to paint in their front yard and ended up with a madd fcuked up car. You get what you pay for simply put.