PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors ok i want to buy a rifle, i'm a noob so don't laugh!!!

preferredduck
03-07-2010, 01:48 AM
ok so in a couple of weeks my girls is going to buy me a rifle. she owes me alot of money and is getting it back and wants to buy me a little something extra. we went to the range last week with my glock 23 and she took a ver old, mind condition ruger 22 with a scope. we played with mine first and then went to the 22. we moved the target over 150 yards away and i felt like a WW2 sniper having to hold my breath etc. of course the 22 had no kick to it whatsoever. i want some opinions of some good rifles that won't kick the crap out of me but would do more than piss bambi off and get my ass kicked. i heard a 7mm or 39-30 is. so please make suggestions and comments i would like to learn as much as i can and if i can find one used at a good price i'm down with that. i prefer the style she had where it had a magazine of 10(or the banana clip she hadin the nag. bolt would be ok but the reason i say this is i'm left handed and on one of my guns i would like it to work better for me. thanks AI, and don't laugh too hatf ok

Slomaro Z28
03-07-2010, 01:56 AM
ok so in a couple of weeks my girls is going to buy me a rifle. she owes me alot of money and is getting it back and wants to buy me a little something extra. we went to the range last week with my glock 23 and she took a ver old, mind condition ruger 22 with a scope. we played with mine first and then went to the 22. we moved the target over 150 yards away and i felt like a WW2 sniper having to hold my breath etc. of course the 22 had no kick to it whatsoever. i want some opinions of some good rifles that won't kick the crap out of me but would do more than piss bambi off and get my ass kicked. i heard a 7mm or 39-30 is. so please make suggestions and comments i would like to learn as much as i can and if i can find one used at a good price i'm down with that. i prefer the style she had where it had a magazine of 10(or the banana clip she hadin the nag. bolt would be ok but the reason i say this is i'm left handed and on one of my guns i would like it to work better for me. thanks AI, and don't laugh too hatf ok

Artificial Intelligence?:thinking:

If you just want to have fun at the range, a .22 is perfect. Super cheap on ammo and no kick at all. If you want something heavier, then look into an AR-15 in a .223 or .243 caliber.

-EnVus-
03-07-2010, 01:58 AM
M1 carbine
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/stuckma09/Win1400UnderwoodM1Carbine019.jpg

-EnVus-
03-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Just get the most trusting and real OG a 30-6

preferredduck
03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Artificial Intelligence?:thinking:

If you just want to have fun at the range, a .22 is perfect. Super cheap on ammo and no kick at all. If you want something heavier, then look into an AR-15 in a .223 or .243 caliber.

sorry my mind has been asleep for a week so grammar is gone. i want something i could take to the range and practice with some, but then bust out the 22 because of the cheap shells. my bro said stay away from a 223 because that's what the military uses and it may be very hard to find. he also mentioned a 243, 30-30, or a 7mm, but as i said i don't want something that will kick like hell and back. i am prob going to rent a few in athens before buying anything, or i'll talk to ruben at clydes in athens because the man know his stuff for sure. i'm just getting opinions of what other
ia members have shot and with a single action bolt(correct me if i'm wrong) with me being left handed it's very ackward, i looked at a 7mm the other night and that was the main problem. keep it coming fellas. ruben matched me with a glock 23 and i will never get rid of that gun. . . .ever.

preferredduck
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
M1 carbine
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/stuckma09/Win1400UnderwoodM1Carbine019.jpg

exactly here, but some of the things i priced last night like this were $800 and i can'd do that. mine as well get another $800 and try for an ar-15. lol, but i like that setup.

FlipKing
03-07-2010, 11:59 PM
.270 or 30-06 made by savage will be very accurate and easily take a deer and can be got fairly cheaply. I really wouldnt go smaller than a .270 to deer hunt honestly.

KodyH
03-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Only thing worth having :ninja:
http://www.rsov.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73&stc=1&d=1223664961

For the low price of $15,000 its yours :goodjob:

Bacon
03-08-2010, 02:46 AM
.22lr for target
.223-.243 for small animals.
>.243 and <.308 for big game.

when i go hunting, i use a 25-06 for deer.

preferredduck
03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Only thing worth having :ninja:
http://www.rsov.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73&stc=1&d=1223664961

For the low price of $15,000 its yours :goodjob:

trade you my car for it, hell i could walk anywhere and have a bew one really fast. lolz, i love it though. i would love to take that to an old building and blow it to hell, or a junked car that would be the shit!!! where can you buy those again, and do you have to steal ammo from a military base or something.

preferredduck
03-09-2010, 01:17 AM
.22lr for target
.223-.243 for small animals.
>.243 and <.308 for big game.

when i go hunting, i use a 25-06 for deer.

so a .243 to a .308 would be good. i don't want to kill my shoulder shooting it for sure because whatever i get i will practice some. i was told a 30-06 is more close range along with a .223 etc but a 7mm and a .308 could go a mile and not start to spiral and this came from a guy who hunts alot. i have never been hunting but would like something versatile that i could bag a dear if needed (no bears or buffalo's, i'll use a bow and arrow like an indian lol) or smaller game that will work close range if needed but can shoot a ways away if needed. school me guys i can shoot the .22 anytime i want and this will be my baby but i don't want a massive kick to it or have to but an expensive ass accessories for it. i saw a remington 700 30-06, 2.43, and a 2.70 all with scopes already and a black stock for under $350 new, is that good or bad?

NJSC
03-09-2010, 06:30 AM
You keep saying you don't want something that is going to have lots of recoil, then definitely shoot these larger caliber rifles first. 30-06 has a good amount of recoil. What is this rifle going to be used for? And I disagree with your brother about the availability of ammo in .223. Surplus and everyone and their brother has an ar-15 just stop buy a gun shop and see how much 5.56 ammo they have.

Jaimecbr900
03-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes, your brother is incorrect about .223 availability. It's everywhere and easily found. Walmart even has it.

You have to let us know what you're going to be using the rifle for first. If you are looking for a deer rifle, .243 is going to be the lower end limit. It's hard to say what you'd consider a "big kick" since you haven't been specific on that. I mean I have no issues with a 7mm mag or 30-06, but you may.

KodyH
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
trade you my car for it, hell i could walk anywhere and have a bew one really fast. lolz, i love it though. i would love to take that to an old building and blow it to hell, or a junked car that would be the shit!!! where can you buy those again, and do you have to steal ammo from a military base or something.

:ninja:

Bacon
03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Stay away from the .243 for deer. It is effective but doesn't have a lot of takedown power. For deer, go for one of the following:

25-06
30-06

.308 can be used but it packs a punch that you may not necessarily want. It may also take excessive meat with it if hit at close range. Anything smaller than a .243 is varmint rifle for small game like rabbits and squirrels. My recommendation of the three I just listed above would be the 25-06.

preferredduck
03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, your brother is incorrect about .223 availability. It's everywhere and easily found. Walmart even has it.

You have to let us know what you're going to be using the rifle for first. If you are looking for a deer rifle, .243 is going to be the lower end limit. It's hard to say what you'd consider a "big kick" since you haven't been specific on that. I mean I have no issues with a 7mm mag or 30-06, but you may.

and to NJSC, honestly i have never been hunting before. my girl has a .22 ruger for small game and i shot it the other day and it had no kick at all, a carry a glock 23 .40 and my girls says it kicks more than her glock .45 but i can nail a target 100 feet away with a subcompact glock, and 40 cal can only be found at certain places easily. i picked up some federal FMJ's for 14.95 after tax at wally world. also i have a bad neck and disc compression in my shoulders hence i don't want something that could hurt me worse, but they do have somethings that can be used i have read to help with recoil. if shit hits the fan deer run rampant around my house and if i needed small game i can always get my girls .22 for that ex cats, birds, chipmunks. lol. on tuesday i will have the money to go rent rifles and give them a test like i did with the glocks, everyone told me to get a 9mm because of the recoil and the .40 worked best for me. also i'm left handed and i know remingtom makes a .308 in the 770 series and i can have it ordered for being a lefty, i wish i could switch my mag release on my glock like this too.

FlipKing
03-10-2010, 11:50 PM
.308 is PLENTY of power to kill any game you will find in North America. Some even call it overkill.lol

Bacon
03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
.40cal ammo is very easy to find. just gotta know where to look.

preferredduck
03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
.40cal ammo is very easy to find. just gotta know where to look.

i know, academy has it always in FMJ, gut i got lucky at wally world last week and got federal FMJ's for 14.95 after tax!!! clydes in athens always has federal hollow points (hst's) for $22 for a box of 50. they by far have the best staff and cheapest ammo.

a .308 is what a sniper uses isn't it. i really don't want overkill but i also have my girl's .22 for small game and this will be my baby. i am left handed so i would have to order or find a left handed rifle because of the bolt, it would be harder on me than others for this reason but according to remington they do make them left hander or on some i can change the bolt to fit my needs, but a remington 700, solid black in a 30-06-.270, and a .308 for under $350 with a scope isn't bad ehh.

Bacon
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Snipers use .300 and .308. Look into Savage and Remington rifles as those are the best. That isn't a bad price for those. That will be average. Look on gon.com to see if anyone is selling one. If you need help on that site, I have an acct.

Jaimecbr900
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
There are lots of calibers that can be had in rifle configuration for lefties. They are not as readily available as the standard right hand configuration, but they can be found. I wouldn't worry so much about that as you are not going to be speed shooting zombies or anything like that.

I would focus on what your target is going to be which will determine the proper minimum caliber. For deer sized game, the calibers have already been mentioned.....243 and above. For plinking, .22 is the way to go as it's cheap and easy to shoot. For home defense, well that's a big debate, but you can never go wrong with a 12 gauge for that. Personal defense, i.e. handguns, again that's a big debate too.

So you have to first decide WHAT you're going to be mainly shooting at before you try to focus in on a caliber. There is no perfect formula otherwise. If you are concerned with the recoil of a rifle, it is usually a good rule of thumb to look at the ammunition size/weight as a gauge to the felt recoil of a weapon. For example, the FELT recoil, all other things being equal, of the heavier bullet will be more than the FELT recoil of another that is less heavy. It's physics. You can't expect a 30-06 to have the same felt recoil as a .223 because one fires a 150-180 grain bullet while the other fires an 55-62 grain bullet. Again, this is overly simplistic, but you should get the picture of what I'm trying to say here.

If not, look at the picture below and you can see what I'm trying to illustrate here. The FELT recoil from each of these calibers will be increasingly different due to the mass, i.e. bullet weight, they have to propel down the barrel. Know what I mean? BTW, from left to right, that is a .223, 30-30, .308.

Truegiant
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Snipers use .300 and .308. Look into Savage and Remington rifles as those are the best. That isn't a bad price for those. That will be average. Look on gon.com to see if anyone is selling one. If you need help on that site, I have an acct.

how many people are going to rape that site? gosh.. :no:

preferredduck
03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
There are lots of calibers that can be had in rifle configuration for lefties. They are not as readily available as the standard right hand configuration, but they can be found. I wouldn't worry so much about that as you are not going to be speed shooting zombies or anything like that.

I would focus on what your target is going to be which will determine the proper minimum caliber. For deer sized game, the calibers have already been mentioned.....243 and above. For plinking, .22 is the way to go as it's cheap and easy to shoot. For home defense, well that's a big debate, but you can never go wrong with a 12 gauge for that. Personal defense, i.e. handguns, again that's a big debate too.

So you have to first decide WHAT you're going to be mainly shooting at before you try to focus in on a caliber. There is no perfect formula otherwise. If you are concerned with the recoil of a rifle, it is usually a good rule of thumb to look at the ammunition size/weight as a gauge to the felt recoil of a weapon. For example, the FELT recoil, all other things being equal, of the heavier bullet will be more than the FELT recoil of another that is less heavy. It's physics. You can't expect a 30-06 to have the same felt recoil as a .223 because one fires a 150-180 grain bullet while the other fires an 55-62 grain bullet. Again, this is overly simplistic, but you should get the picture of what I'm trying to say here.

If not, look at the picture below and you can see what I'm trying to illustrate here. The FELT recoil from each of these calibers will be increasingly different due to the mass, i.e. bullet weight, they have to propel down the barrel. Know what I mean? BTW, from left to right, that is a .223, 30-30, .308.

thanks for sure, since i have a glock 23, a 12 guage, and my girl's ruger .22(i need to post i pick i can't find who made the stock but it is amazing) i would say something to get a deer, i could get one 100ft away with my glock but you know that would be hard to sneal up on bambi. lol. also i don't know if they even make something like this in a .243, byt the ruger mini 14 and my girl's .22 are not bolt. if i can get a similar style as hers or the ruger mini 14 i wouldn't worry of the bolt so much. i have been doing some reading and hella research but i love opinions of fellow gun owners for sure. i will go next week sometime and rent a few to see what feels right for me and my girl's uncle is a gun dealer so i may be able to pick up something really good for the same price as the new remington 700, i like it because it already has a scope and the caliber size is up there. thanks again, reps if i can give them again.

if i forget to rep you for GOOD info pm me so i can, thanks everybody!!!

efman
03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
this made my head hurt

Bacon
03-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Savage Stevens 200 XP long

That is gonna be a great all around rifle. www.savagearms.com

preferredduck
03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
this made my head hurt

sorry man mine always hurts. it's best to learn as much as you can and TALK to other gun owners before just buying something. i did that with my glock and am really pleased with it. my family was never big on guns so i have to learn it myself which it sucks asking sometimes but i really don't care anymore and have found the more you know the more you grow. lol

KodyH
03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
30.06 is plenty for hunting.

BKgen®
04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Just pick up an 8mm Mauser. It's what I hunt with. You can find them for reasonably cheap prices, they're accurate (well, mine is anyway), and 8mm is more than enough to drop a deer.

Bacon
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
30.06 is plenty for hunting.

Troof

Just pick up an 8mm Mauser. It's what I hunt with. You can find them for reasonably cheap prices, they're accurate (well, mine is anyway), and 8mm is more than enough to drop a deer.

I would love to find one just for shits and giggles.

patrick2876
04-04-2010, 07:33 AM
if i were to get a shotgun i would get a mossberg 500.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813523639.html
i personally love the shit out of that one.

Bacon
04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
if i were to get a shotgun i would get a mossberg 500.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813523639.html
i personally love the shit out of that one.

I am buying one of those with a holographic sight in a week. Gonna be great.