PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this turd . . . .

Stuntman G
03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, I picked up a '90 model four door for dirty cheap. Pretty clean body, decent interior. The only bad thing (aside from being autotragic :no:) is that the head gasket is shot. It starts, runs, and revs fine, but the tell-tale smoke from the pipe and terribly unsteady idle gave it away. I unscrewed the oil filler cap from the valve cover while it was running, and it spat and shot air well above the outlet (not really sure that this is so unusual?). It seems that coolant is getting into the exhaust, but it IS NOT mixing with the oil, nor does the engine overheat after idling for ~15 minutes. Can someone PLEASE tell me that it is not the head gasket, or suggest an alternative diagnosis?

Assuming it is as I suspect, could anyone direct me towards a walkthrough on d15 head gasket replacement? Or would it possibly be a better idea (since it all has to come apart anyway) to do a mini-me swap? Any other swap ideas are appreciated as well . . . . :cheers:

Stuntman G
03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
UPDATE: Tried "head gasket sealant" ($10 bottle from Advance). Basically said to drain and flush all coolant, and then run this stuff mixed with straight water for an hour or so and then let it sit overnight to cure. Ran for about 5 minutes on said mixture, then cut off abruptly. Pulled spark plugs and turned engine over, huge jet of water shot out of far left cylinder.

MORAL: DO NOT BUY THIS SHIT. IT NOT ONLY FAILS, BUT IN THIS CASE MADE IT 10X WORSE.

And thus . . . I buy a new full gasket set and rebuild this hoe. Can't complain for a $100 car.

Barefoot
03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
that $10 just fucked up your motor. if u use simple logic before buying it. u would quickly realize it will hurt more than help.

GAsHONDABOI
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM
not true the 34 dollar stuff works i ran it in my da when it blew a head gasket and it worked perfect drove it for 2 years like that then sold it and till this day its still being driven!!!