PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods FI build on a K20A3

EP3sAreFun
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
so i'm thinking boost... and i start listing out what i'm going to do eventually

Do you build turbo/SC motors the same way?

if i would get the JRSC race kit with Kpro, and getting a 3.8" pulley, but thats rated at 10 psi, and well thats bad for a tubo motor on stock internals, so i assume same on a SCed motor?

does anyone make parts for this motor?
i cant even find anything on google, pistons, rods, etc...

i was thinking about getting the Greddy TT exhaust with whatever turbo i get, i wanna say its a 2.75 inch exhaust, would that be fine with a SC motor? i'd assume so... but since the SC isnt always engaged.... how would that affect it?

D16Civic
10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Well, first, 10 psi on stock internals isnt bad for a turbo motor as long as you tune it right, plus im sure the k series motors can handle it better than the older motors which can handle it w/ out problems if tuned right.

Second, its not really about how much psi ur pushing, but how much power ur making, thats what breaks stuff and 10 psi from a supercharger probably wont get u more power than a turbo at 10 psi unless its a really small turbo even tho ur motor is having to work harder for that 10 psi.
Thats the bad thing about a supercharger, it runs off belts of ur motor so it takes power away from ur engine to actually spin the supercharger giving u less power to the wheels whereas a turbo is kind of like free power from ur exhaust. However, the beauty of a supercharger is that when step on the gas, no matter what rpm u are at u get instant throttle response from it whereas u might get some lag from a turbo. All depends on what you want.

I dont really know much about k series motors tho so i have no idea what kind of rods, pistons, etc... are out there for it, but can u clarify something?
How is the supercharger not always engaged??

EP3sAreFun
10-31-2005, 10:48 PM
i plan on keeping the car for many years. drive it till it falls apart.... 10 psi on stock internals, even if it is tuned perfect your still cutting the engine life without rebuilds...

i believe the JRSC on the k20a3 works like the prelude version where the SC is only engaged at 50-60% throttle. a tensioner pulley pulls the belt and starts the SC turning

so i hear anyways, i'm not really to into the SC kit... just what ive read and heard from here and there

jimjam187
11-01-2005, 02:24 PM
go Full race all the way.

IntegraXTR
11-01-2005, 05:43 PM

yeh just go N/A dude, Toda has made parts for the k-series if you wanna look into that.

EP3sAreFun
11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I would. but there are no FI internals from what ive seen and heard, i'm not going to buy a 5 grand turbo kit if i cant ever boost past 9 psi

wes_297
11-13-2005, 03:14 PM
i had an 03 civic si. i did the jrsc just because it was my daily driver. i just sold the civic and it had 90,000 miles on it. about 75,000 with the charger on it. you wont get as much power with the sc, but they are often more reliable than a turbo. i also know of a guy that does the cams for them. as for the other internals. i couldnt find them , but i know they are out there. there is a web site/ forum that just has people with that style civic. several people on there have torbod civics. and someone might know about internals. its called ephatch.com. hopefully somebody from IA can help , but if not that would be the place to go for info on that car.

Vteckidd
11-13-2005, 04:12 PM
CP Pistons make low compresion pistons
Crower makes ROds, i have a set here.
IPS ,Skunk2, Toda, there are TONS OF K SERIES PARTS out there.

10PSI on stock internals is fine,as long as its tuned. you want to shoot for 12-15psi, then yes youll need to build the motor to be reliable.

EP3sAreFun
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
CP Pistons make low compresion pistons
Crower makes ROds, i have a set here.
IPS ,Skunk2, Toda, there are TONS OF K SERIES PARTS out there.

10PSI on stock internals is fine,as long as its tuned. you want to shoot for 12-15psi, then yes youll need to build the motor to be reliable.
sent you a PM :)

Silver RSX-S
11-18-2005, 11:15 PM
i personally wouldnt go past ~10psi on a k20a3, its a lot weaker than the k20a2 and doesnt dissipate heat very well.

honestly, the best mod you could do is a k20a/a2 swap then work on more speed from there if you intend to keep the car

EP3sAreFun
11-19-2005, 11:31 PM
i personally wouldnt go past ~10psi on a k20a3, its a lot weaker than the k20a2 and doesnt dissipate heat very well.

honestly, the best mod you could do is a k20a/a2 swap then work on more speed from there if you intend to keep the car
i intend to keep the car for a long time but i'm really not wanting to swap the motor, so. ive pretty much come to the conlusion that i'll leave the car as it sits and most likely buy another sportbike in feb/march

thanks for the good info as well

btw, your car is very nice

Silver RSX-S
11-20-2005, 02:24 AM
thats probably the best idea, 300whp is the limit on that motor it seems (most people are 270ish) and 300 is pushing it and will kill reliability without some custom internals, its honestly just not worth it

thanks btw, and your welcome ;)

EP3sAreFun
11-20-2005, 04:05 PM
thats probably the best idea, 300whp is the limit on that motor it seems (most people are 270ish) and 300 is pushing it and will kill reliability without some custom internals, its honestly just not worth it

thanks btw, and your welcome ;)
agreed, ever see ephatch.com forums? everyone has a 2XX hp turbo ep3... its kinda lame, always the same posts over and over...

Silver RSX-S
11-23-2005, 01:19 PM
havent been there, but all the base guys on clubrsx are 260-280, the 280+guys keep blowing up motors.....so i'd say 260whp is about all you should push out of it, it will be 'reliable', but wont have a long engine life

EP3sAreFun
11-23-2005, 01:46 PM
reliable=good
short engine life=bad

i've got time to think about it, but i still think i'm just going to get a bike heh