PDA

View Full Version : General Chat RPM AR-PEE-EM

87 Turbo II
03-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Yea u right he didnt take it to 9k, HE TOOK IT TO 9500RPMS!!

1. When it first turned over its idle was about 500 Rpms and the motor was vibrating alot.

Walbro makes two different 255 pumps... I don't know why they do, seems pointless to me... but they do. If the Walbro 255 from Summit is made for your Honda, and it is a high pressure one, then that is the one to get. The only way to tell if it has any effect on your tune is by reading your A/F on the dyno. If anything, it will dump more fuel than you had before at certain rpms, so you will be ok. You might be running a little richer at first, but then you can tune it accordingly. You just have to dyno it and see...

Oh and this one was very interesting. An incredibly misused apostrophe spiced it up:

You can make over 200whp with a 1.8L at under 9k RPM's.

Ok, let me clear this up for the more retarded car enthusiasts. RPM is plural. It stands for "rotations per minute" or "revolutions per minute". You wouldn't say "revolutions per minutes" so stop adding an "s" at the end. A good bit of people in the community do this and it just got to me tonight so I figured I'd try to do my part in helping it stop.

Elbow
03-06-2010, 06:02 AM
My Miata had a rev limiter at 9000RPMS.

sprix!
03-06-2010, 07:21 AM
I commend you, fellow grammar hammer, but I don't see this happening. It is almost as widespread an epidemic as people asking "Where are you at?" even though "where" is already asking for a location and the addition of "at" is redundant and incorrect.

Nerdsrock22
03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Oh that reminds me, I need to get some cash out of the ATM machine.

EP3sAreFun
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM
My Miata had a rev limiter at 9000RPMS.

dood thats kool. my 2.6 ownly revs to 6000RPMS

RL...
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
or like when ppl are like I need to go to the atm machine..

atm=automatic teller machine

EP3sAreFun
03-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Oh that reminds me, I need to get some cash out of the ATM machine.

or like when ppl are like I need to go to the atm machine..

atm=automatic teller machine

lol FAIL on nissantun3r

87 Turbo II
03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Holy crap I went off topic into grammar nazi mode that has nothing to do with cars. Look for the green text to mark the "back on topic" part.
Yeah "ATM machine" sucks. When they add the word machine at the end, it makes me think they're saying "ass to mouth machine". Another one is when people refer to a water heater as a "hot water heater". You don't heat hot water, you heat water to make it hot. People also say that they put toast in a toaster. No you put bread in a toaster, toast comes out. There are tons of stupid but for some reason, seemingly accepted language issues.

One that almost EVERYONE let's get by is.

"Everyone ties their shoes" should be

"Everyone ties his or her shoes" Because everyONE is a sigular noun, and "their" is a plural noun refference(showing ownership of a plural group of people "they"). So it's the same as saying "He ties their shoes." instead of "He ties his shoes." You can use it for any "everyone...verb...their..direct object.." scenario.
Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

All that aside, I'd expect more from the automotive community members and knowing about RPM, what it refers to, and why they should say things like "I hold the car at 3,500 RPM when I launch."

EP3sAreFun
03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah "ATM machine" sucks. When they add the word machine at the end, it makes me think they're saying "ass to mouth machine". Another one is when people refer to a water heater as a "hot water heater". You don't heat hot water, you heat water to make it hot. People also say that they put toast in a toaster. No you put bread in a toaster, toast comes out. There are tons of stupid but for some reason, seemingly accepted language issues.

One that almost EVERYONE let's get by is.

"Everyone ties their shoes" should be

"Everyone ties his or her shoes" Because everyONE is a sigular noun, and "their" is a plural noun refference(showing ownership of a plural group of people "they"). So it's the same as saying "He ties their shoes." instead of "He ties his shoes." You can use it for any "everyone...verb...their..direct object.." scenario.

All that aside, I'd expect more from the automotive community members and knowing about RPM, what it refers to, and why they should say things like "I hold the car at 3,500 RPM when I launch."

to play devil's advocate here... you could say hot water heater and still be correct. What you are assuming is that the words are grouped as "hot-water heater". what i'm saying is that a hot water-heater would be a water heater that is currently hot. get it?

roxie911
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I commend you, fellow grammar hammer, but I don't see this happening. It is almost as widespread an epidemic as people asking "Where are you at?" even though "where" is already asking for a location and the addition of "at" is redundant and incorrect.

ACTUALLY....the reason why that is wrong is because "at" is a preposition. You never end a sentence with a preposition.

yeah... :2cents:

87 Turbo II
03-10-2010, 12:53 PM
to play devil's advocate here... you could say hot water heater and still be correct. What you are assuming is that the words are grouped as "hot-water heater". what i'm saying is that a hot water-heater would be a water heater that is currently hot. get it?

Fair enough, but how many people say "I need to fix my hot water heater" thinking that "I need to fix my water heater, which is hot by the way." Technically it can be correct though, so I guess I will have to start letting it slide (I let all of these slide really due to their commonness, but I mean mentally now).

EP3sAreFun
03-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Fair enough, but how many people say "I need to fix my hot water heater" thinking that "I need to fix my water heater, which is hot by the way." Technically it can be correct though, so I guess I will have to start letting it slide (I let all of these slide really due to their commonness, but I mean mentally now).

lol

EL42
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
hmmm makes sense. where is the spell check on my computer anyway?

bu villain
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Many acronyms take on both singular and plural forms. For example, it would be correct to say the second hand on a clock rotates at 1 RPM.

Of course saying that people on the internet in general use poor English is a huge understatement. Many people don't even use the most basic English correctly (e.g., their vs there, it's vs its) so what hope would they have for acronyms.

G.C
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
peniseses

Elbow
03-11-2010, 08:34 AM
This thread is pitiful.

FUCK AMURKA I DON'T SPREICHE DAT SHIT.

AnthonyF
03-11-2010, 09:00 AM
This should have been posted in the whoreslounge.

My bike goes up to 16k rpms. So what, It's not a big deal. :goodjob:

-Ant.