PDA

View Full Version : B20 vtec problems

B20B!Ithink?
03-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Hey guys sorry if I do this wrong but here we go i bought a completley stock 95 civic sedan feb 1st since then i pulled the

d15 lol and put a b20b in it did a wire tuck and welded all holes. this was my first wire tuck not knowing how to do it i did

dam well. With the stock b20b and a gsr tranny if i hit it in first it would break loose. It ran really strong throwin 2 codes

IAT and MAP. swapped both sensors still didnt fix. I ended up getting a b16a head from a friend and i decided id go b20

vtec. so i bought BKR7Es decked the head, ACL rod bearings main bearings thrust washers, whale peter, ARP rod bolts, ARP

head studs, golden eagle b20 vtec kit(which the oil line leaked had to go to summit) Slim head gasket raised comp 0.4:1,

stock pistons, stock rods, tap and plug all other misc. b20 vtec stuff dowl pins blah blah.oh i have stock exhaust still with

a cat and everything. i got it from atl so it passes emmissions.when i pulled the motor i wired in vtec to the ecu and a

knock sensor.

OK sorry for the list it says to put all of that BUT HERES MY ISSUE!!!!! first off sometimes my starter wont even start my

car. it tries and stops dead in its tracks. ive had like 3 people tell me its because my cars so high comp but thats not a big

deal. the real issue is that putting my b16 head on my b20b block SLOWED my car down!!!! now it doesnt break loose if i hit

it in first hardly chirps second i mean hardly, its just slower. ive tried a hondata b20 vtec ecu that my bro has wont even

run my car ive tried a p72 chipped for all kinds of shit runnin my friends boosted gsr wouldnt start tried a pherable ecu runs

it but vtec slows me down even more. i tried a p28 it runs fine still slower than before but when vtec hits it slows me

down???? hard to explain it hits and slow me down and sounds like a redline kinda. so my questions are what ecu do i need?

why wont my vtec hit correctly? Why is it slower now that i raised comp and swapped heads to a better flowind head and

all that? im gonna drop the exhaust tomorrow and run down pipe to let it breath but that cant be the only problem. So if

you can please help thanks. oh when i pulled the motor for b20 vtec i checked all my wires fixed some and the only code im

currently throwin is MAP it must still be the wiring!

NoWAyItZTOMmY
03-05-2010, 06:45 AM
its slower because u didnt tune it or swap the b20 pistons out

Theycall_Metue
03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
shouldnt have to swap pistion if the b20 wasnt bored out, might be because of tune and do you have a vtec fuel pump? and when you sayed, hit hard and it break lose... what are you talking about?
sounds like a good build and alot of money into it :goodjob:

southside
03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
shouldnt have to swap pistion if the b20 wasnt bored out, might be because of tune and do you have a vtec fuel pump? and when you sayed, hit hard and it break lose... what are you talking about?
sounds like a good build and alot of money into it :goodjob:He's saying low compression that b20 yields stock he would have benefited if he had changed the pistons and bumped the compression.And Vtec fuel pump?Stock is stock I believe but walbro 255 you might wanna invest in.Also my friend has a gsr that wont run unless you have his ecu that is tuned for his car.So you might wanna go get tuned to OP.Also vtec will make your car seem slower because the powerband is different from nonvtec b20.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:So without tuning I dont think you will get the advance in power that you were looking for.

Theycall_Metue
03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Vtec fuel pump?Stock is stock I believe but walbro 255 you might wanna invest in. was thinking hes prob have a nonvtec fuel pump since its in a civic sedan

B20B!Ithink?
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
i definitaly need to get my ecu tuned but i really dont know where for cheap ive already invested enough money into this swap for it to be slower. when i said break loose i mean just go from a stop sign normal drivin and at like 3 or 4 grand just floor it and it breaks loose b20s have so much torque its awesome not so much now:( oh and vtec doesnt seem slower its like hitting a redline and almost smashin my face on the dash stops me dead in my tracks no joke

solblu
03-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Fix the MAP code first. Is it connected? To the throttle body or firewall sensor?

98blackcivic
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
interesting problem
hope you get it solved bro

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 01:24 AM
the maps on the throttle body. i tried checking every wire when i pulled the motor for the build and fixed the IAT but didnt fix the map. another thing is the freakin IAC its new off the b20 and its runnin like shit so i swaped it for the one that was on the b16 and still does the same shit. doesnt idle all jacked up just when you let off the gas while driving it kicks and when you press the gas it kicks. not even throwin the code. i also dont see why everyone i saying i need a fuel pump that b20 ran like a champ before with stock exhaust stock fuel pump stock ecu stock everything so after switching heads id need a bigger fuel pump? i dont see y

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 01:28 AM
oh and if anyone is wondering about that retarded you have to shave the valve reliefs in the pistons to accomidate for b20 vtec myth its false because like i said i decked the b16 head and have a super slim head gasket that itself raised comp .4:1 i just drove that bitch to reynolds and back tonight for the first test and tune friday. obviously i didnt run. im gonna drop the exhaust tomorrow im pretty shure the cats stopping all my exhaust and we will see if theres a diff.

NoWAyItZTOMmY
03-06-2010, 01:37 AM
With stock USDM B20Z pistons and a B16 head, you'll have 9.96:1 compression. Stock USDM B20B pistons with the B16 head will get you 9.10:1 compression.

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
lol ok thanks what about if the heads decked?

NoWAyItZTOMmY
03-06-2010, 02:39 AM
it would go up, not sure how much though.

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 02:45 AM
since we are all here lol i obviously just made this account and i was wondering why i cant do certian things like post a comment on like the valve cover thread or somethin ? do i need all kinds of post or what?

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 02:46 AM
oh and how do i put a pic on and get a sig and all that dude?

jdm-civic
03-06-2010, 02:49 AM
go to your user cp and go to edit signature. when you find a pic click "save pic url" then hit the insert image and paste the image url into the box at the message screen and voila! you have pictures!

solblu
03-06-2010, 05:07 AM
The MAP and TPS plugs are the same make sure you do not have them swapped. You need a B series fuel pump cause when VTEC hits it need a lot more fuel than the B20 did, or the D series motor you had in the car before. Honda even knew this, so the B series stock pumps flow more than D series.

Also the car had a MAP on the firewall didn't it?. Use that plug and plug it into the TB MAP to see if your code goes away.

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The MAP and TPS plugs are the same make sure you do not have them swapped. You need a B series fuel pump cause when VTEC hits it need a lot more fuel than the B20 did, or the D series motor you had in the car before. Honda even knew this, so the B series stock pumps flow more than D series.

Also the car had a MAP on the firewall didn't it?. Use that plug and plug it into the TB MAP to see if your code goes away.

i dont have any sensors on my fire wall and yes i know the tps and map are the same harness there not backwards because there diff lengths and tps only can reach the tps enless you yank.

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
go to your user cp and go to edit signature. when you find a pic click "save pic url" then hit the insert image and paste the image url into the box at the message screen and voila! you have pictures!

i can only click like 2 things under user cp all others say im not authorized this is bull shit

jdm-civic
03-06-2010, 03:32 PM
oh yea your new, i think you need more posts or something. go read the rules for noobs and i think it tells what you need to do in there......i think,

B20B!Ithink?
03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
oh yea your new, i think you need more posts or something. go read the rules for noobs and i think it tells what you need to do in there......i think,

k thanks so no more good ideas on y his bitch is doin this?

JDMJAYDC2
03-07-2010, 06:11 AM
your stock exhaust is def holding you back but getting tuned is your issue i wouldnt be running the car hard without a tune or you could see your sleeper DD blow

silverDA
03-07-2010, 08:50 AM
make sure timing is correct and then get it tuned.

SLow_POke
03-07-2010, 08:57 AM
... please STOP telling him he needs a freaking vtec fuel pump. Next u might as well tell him he needs vtec oil.......

. OP you might have an issue with the wiring. I've done only one long ago. before it was a fad, and sometimes from what ever reason. wires are to long or if u crimped the wires, or did not soder them correct it creates more resistance and sends falcse reading back to the ECU.

diagnos.

I would do a leak down test see if my compression is leaking somewhere. check the wiring voltage, resistance and all that jazz.. sry i cant think straight with a hangover. just tought i'd post about the awesome vtec fuel pump:screwy:

SLow_POke
03-07-2010, 08:58 AM
I wouldnt suggest tuning until he fixes the map ir IAC issues.

scttydb411
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
first fix any and all cel. don't just go swapping plugs that look like they fit...run continuity tests from the ecu to the sensor-plugs directly. in the past week i've had half the cars come in w/ cel and half of those had pretty messed up plugs/wiring. just because it has a 2 or 3 wire plug and it reaches over doesn't mean it's the correct plug/sensor combination. plugging sensors in incorrectly can possibly burn out the sensor itself and/or ecu circuits.

second, you can't just drop any ecu in and it'll "pull hard"...even someone else's "tuned" ecu. you'll need to have it tuned to your setup.

at this point here's my suggestions:
1. fix cel
2. comp and leak down test
3. tune

B20B!Ithink?
03-07-2010, 02:07 PM
ok well i will try some of these ides thanks guys

solblu
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
... please STOP telling him he needs a freaking vtec fuel pump. Next u might as well tell him he needs vtec oil.......

. OP you might have an issue with the wiring. I've done only one long ago. before it was a fad, and sometimes from what ever reason. wires are to long or if u crimped the wires, or did not soder them correct it creates more resistance and sends falcse reading back to the ECU.

diagnos.

I would do a leak down test see if my compression is leaking somewhere. check the wiring voltage, resistance and all that jazz.. sry i cant think straight with a hangover. just tought i'd post about the awesome vtec fuel pump:screwy:

The VTEC fuel pump is as different as the VTEC water pump and oil pump.....

When he gets it CEL free he will need a higher flow rate fuel pump, like the OEM VTEC pumps, to tune it....