PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 1957 Saab 93 rally headed for Mille Miglia with Spyker and Saab CEOs at the wheel

EJ25RUN
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/001-57-saab-93-rally-geneva--1267621229.jpg

Autoblog....

As car guys, we want to see Saab succeed at the hands of its new owners, Spyker Cars. And while the brand faces an uphill battle to reach profitability, its new masters are at least showing signs of understanding the Swedish automaker's rich past. The latest proof? Spyker CEO Victor Muller and Saab CEO Jan Åke Jonsson will take on Italy's famed Mille Miglia road race in this 1957 Saab 93, a replica of the car that won the Finnish 1,000 Lakes Rally that year.

The 750cc three-cylinder two-stroke engine has been tuned to Group 2 specification, producing 55 horsepower – 22 horsepower more than the standard car. So-equipped, the robust racer is said to be good for 62 miles-per-hour in 13 seconds and a top speed of 93 mph.

While racing in May's historic recreation of the Mille Miglia might not generate much in the way of brand buzz, if nothing else, it strikes us as a nice acknowledgment of the company's past by the keepers of its future. Could there be more than just a history lesson at work here? Late last month, Autocar reported that Saab is proceeding with plans for a new entry-level model, the 9-2, that will reportedly be influenced by Saab's 1950's 'teardrop' design.

Also in the news,

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/02/ursaab.jpg

You wouldn't know it by looking at Saab's current automobiles, but once upon a time the Swedish marque was known for crafting almost impossibly rounded bodywork. Victor Muller, CEO of Spyker Cars, which just completed its acquisition of the Saab brand, plans to reintroduce such teardrop-shaped emotion back into the automaker's line with a new vehicle codenamed 92, or in more modern parlance, 9-2.

Don't expect to see the small, premium 9-2 before 2013 or so, when it would theoretically go up against machines like the Mini and Audi A1. According to Autocar, Saab would likely borrow a suitable set of underpinnings from GM's Opel division, as is the case with the new 2011 Saab 9-5.

If Saab is able to get this new entry-level model into production as planned, its inclusion would no doubt go a long way towards reaching Muller's stated goal of hitting 100,000 total sales per year for the newly acquired automaker. That's not too big a stretch considering that the brand sold 93,220 cars as recently as 2008. We wish him, along with the rest of those with a stake in Saab, lots of luck.

Nerdsrock22
03-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Very exciting. It's great to see some good things happening with SAAB.

r0bb86
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
My uncle use to own an early 1960 Saab. Looked very munch like that one, except no suicide doors and split window.
Always loved driving around town with him on Saturdays.

EJ25RUN
03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
My uncle use to own an early 1960 Saab. Looked very munch like that one, except no suicide doors and split window.
Always loved driving around town with him on Saturdays.

Two stroke?

Nerdsrock22
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Two stroke?

That reminds me of when folks used to ask me if I had to add oil to my gas in my 1996 900.

:lmfao: