PDA

View Full Version : 98 Civic Cluster speedo problem

DC2NR
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
The break down:

Car:1998 Civic Ex 5sp

Problem: Cluster - When driving, the speedo will work fine for about 3-4 minutes. Then out of nowhere, or sometimes when I hit a bump, it will start bouncing up and down then sit at 20mph. Every once in a while it will start to work again like normal. Sometimes when I sit at idle it'll do the same thing. Starts bouncing and then sits at 20mph. Then when I start driving it, it'll work .... sometimes.

Could it be the cluster itself or could it be the speed sensor? Or what other issues could it be?

Barefoot
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
check that speed sensor plugs and the pull it apart make sure everything is right on the inside.

hmong_Spec
03-04-2010, 07:25 AM
when we took off my bro-n-law dizzy, the plugs wasn't on good. When we drove it, the rpm will jump up and down, and the speedometer will go up and down to. and for an odd reason, it died lol. We ended up just touching the plugs and messed around with it, and it cranked back up and everything was fine.

solblu
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
just pull the vss plug clean with brake clean or carb cleaner, put some electrical grease on it and plug it back in. Should fix it, if not you may need to swap VSS's.

Eman_jDm
03-06-2010, 01:22 AM
My car did the same thing when it rained hard. not really sure y. I took it to get the cel fixed to pass emission and it stoped and hasnt done it since then. its not your cluster though probably just some sensor.

CaTcH22
03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
check that speed sensor plugs and the pull it apart make sure everything is right on the inside.
x2 that vss plug is bad about getting hot and melting the terminals.

envision
03-06-2010, 09:57 AM
When you clean the VSS make sure to add some dielectric grease tot he connector before plugging it back in it will help to keep it dry.