PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR HELP NEEDED! A.S.A.P.!

blondebabe36
03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok so I have a Gateway 1624 and Ive had it since Aug 08'. It would get really hot and cut off all the time. At first I thought it was because I had way too much stuff on it, so I changed the hard drive, doubled my gigs, and I got a fun to go underneath it. Now it gets hotter faster and it cuts off every 5 or so minutes. I able to successfully get Windows XP installed but it's extreamly slow and unfortunatly not an authinticated version. I was told it could be the memory, the mother-board, the rams, or the fan being burnt out, ect. I go to college for photography and I desperatly need my computer and my photoshop, A.S.A.P. Finals are comming up and I need my computer to do them. Im not to keen on computers so can some one more knowledgable help me out? Thanks!

(And I bought it from Circut City so thats the reason I havent done anything about the warrenty)

oneSLOWex
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Its cutting off to protect itself because of the heat. Its probably the fan on the CPU not working and causing it to get to that point. Have you been using it in your lap or on a pillow where air cant flow through it? Also, that fan you got for it....does it run off the computer (plug into USB port) or does it plug into the wall?

oneSLOWex
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Also, if its still under warranty it will probably have to go back to Gateway to get fixed.

blondebabe36
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Before I bought the fan I sat it on top one of the ventelated metal racks you can get from walmart to set things on like in the bathroom. That actually helped somewhat. The fan I got is USB powered.

oneSLOWex
03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Before I bought the fan I sat it on top one of the ventelated metal racks you can get from walmart to set things on like in the bathroom. That actually helped somewhat. The fan I got is USB powered.

Yeah I def. would not use that fan as it is making the computer do even more work which will make more heat in the end...same problem people were having with those fans that they sold for XBOX 360's. Try going by a local computer repair place or maybe someone on here could help you out. Im not 100% but it sounds like a CPU fan.

blondebabe36
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah I def. would not use that fan as it is making the computer do even more work which will make more heat in the end...same problem people were having with those fans that they sold for XBOX 360's. Try going by a local computer repair place or maybe someone on here could help you out. Im not 100% but it sounds like a CPU fan.

alright, well thnks for takin the time. :goodjob:

blondebabe36
03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I did a live chat with a gateway tech and all the info he gave me was to go to this link:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/Q42006/ck2006110919.shtml

600 Double R
03-02-2010, 11:36 PM
bad motherboard symptoms. my hp pavilion does what yours is doing. it will boot up rarely now. it comes on fans and all and it gets hot quick and turns off or restarts. if you have a warranty id def. use it. heat issues causing it to shut off like that are motherboard/cpu related. hell your cpu fan can work and it still shut off like mine does. in some cases the cpu fan quits working and yeah the cpu gets hot and shuts the computer off so it wont damage it.

civicturbo10
03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
If the fan idea doesn't work, have someone look at it locally to see if you need to warranty it. Let us know how it turns out.

blondebabe36
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
the gateway tech said my warrenty expired =(

600 Double R
03-03-2010, 12:31 AM
if you happen to take it to a computer repair shop dont let them tell you a bunch of bs and try to get extra money out of you. your heat issues are dealing with your motherboard/cpu fan or a faulty motherboard. some places can do a diagnostic on it.

91LudeSiT
03-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Take some canned air and blow the dust out of it.

civicturbo10
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Try to the cheaper fixes first and go from there. Also, try a IA sponsor or local repair facility to get an est. cost to repair. Keep in mind the general rule repair / replacing....

At time of purchse did you get a extended warranty or are you riding on the manuf. warranty?

98strat
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Make sure the laptop cooling station is sending air the same way your internal fans are working. My friend had a toshiba that pulled are from the bottom of the laptop to cool the cpu. When on a cooling pad that pulled hot air away from the bottom of the computer it would overheat because they canceled each other out. Also try blowing the dust out. Sounds like a temp sensor issue or internal fan issue though

jdm-civic
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
upgrade the fan to one that flows more air

blondebabe36
03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
So, last night I decided to try to do what I could before taking it anywhere. I was iffy about taking things apart but I went ahead and took the fan out and found what I think was the problem. There was alot of shit built up in the little slots that the air flows through, the fan was fine, not really anything on it, but my comp pulls air from the bottom and blows hot out of the side, it wasnt blowing the hot air back out. So far everything is fine.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I appreciate it!

600 Double R
03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
well glad you figured it out without having to spend a dime.

blondebabe36
03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
:goodjob: