PDA

View Full Version : Beware of bad seller's like "JR VQ 30 de"

FlyingStroke240
03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232953

I bought the above laptop from "JR VQ 30 de". We met up; he seemed like a really cool dude so i didn't even take time to boot up the laptop or make sure everything was working. The battery was almost dead in it so i didn't even bothered. He said " if you have any problems with it, give me a call". I get home, boot up the laptop and some sort of reboot error is coming up on it. I shut it off; took it to best buy where it was previously serviced and they said i had to pay $70 for them to even diagnose the problem. Well i call him up and told him that at this point, he can either have the laptop fixed or just give me my money back. He said he's in Puerto Rico right now but that he'll take care of the problem when he comes back on the 1st of march. I texted him earlier today and he's now saying that his mom say that i cannot be refunded b/c it was sold w/o a warranty. Well I'm not an expert but i feel like i just got ripped off. I'm planning on going to a small court and settling this there but I want you guys online to chime on this on tell me what you think. I got a laptop that i can't use but at the same time, I'm out 200 bucks.:(

Austin?
03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
judge joe brown!

jdm-civic
03-02-2010, 02:41 PM
if it was sold with no warranty and you didnt check it out before buying then its all on you. but is anything broken or damaged?

FlyingStroke240
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
nothing seems broken or damaged. According to best buy, it is having a hardware problem. All i want him to do is stand behind what he's selling. He's saying that the laptop is for his mom and all he's doing is selling it. Well tell your mom that the laptop is fucked up that the buyer wants his money back.

david068513
03-02-2010, 03:01 PM
you should have checked it before you bought it. Buyer beware dude. You had the chance to check it out. You trusted someone you don't know.

FlyingStroke240
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
It was my fault not to check it but i guess u can't really find trust-able people these days.

oneSLOWex
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
You should have checked it out before handing over money....but at the same time he also knew what he was selling you and should fix it or return your money if he said everything was in working order.

Vteckidd
03-02-2010, 03:41 PM
nothing seems broken or damaged. According to best buy, it is having a hardware problem. All i want him to do is stand behind what he's selling. He's saying that the laptop is for his mom and all he's doing is selling it. Well tell your mom that the laptop is fucked up that the buyer wants his money back.

When buying a used electronic product it's on YOU to test it out. If the battery was dead you should have gone to a place with a power outlet. How does he know YOU didn't damage it ? The fact you didn't verify it's condition before purchase makes this your problem. And again it's a used laptop for $200 there is no warranty.

Now having said that, this falls under the "selling for other people" rule. He cannot absolve himself of the situation because he sold it for someone else in this case his mom. That will get his selling privledges revoked and possibly banned.

This seems like a simple issue to correct. Why on earth would you take it to best buy there's tons of competent computer guys on here that can help you fix it I can recommend a few. Hell my friend would prob fix it if you gave him a ride in your 240 lol

IMO the seller should take responsibility and look at the computer at the least to see what the problem is. He doesn't owe you a refund but passing the buck is shady

good luck

DC2NR
03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
There are really cool people on IA. I know since I've met some. Everytime I buy something, I check thoroughly before I buy it. I mean I trust everyone I meet, but sometimes you just can't go on someone's word. There may have been things that the seller may have missed, but it is your responsibility to check it before you buy it.

Even from reputable sellers on here I would check before I buy.

This situation sucks, but I hope you get it dealt with.

FlyingStroke240
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
thanks for the opinion, mike. please send me the contact numbers of the people that can fix it. I guess it was my fault not to check it. either way, i'm not going to break the laptop the very first day I bought it or even break it at all. he even said to contact him if I had any problems with it like if he knew there was a problem with it. like I said b/f i'm still taking it to court and i'll keep u guys updated.

DC2NR
03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
thanks for the opinion, mike. please send me the contact numbers of the people that can fix it. I guess it was my fault not to check it. either way, i'm not going to break the laptop the very first day I bought it or even break it at all. he even said to contact him if I had any problems with it like if he knew there was a problem with it. like I said b/f i'm still taking it to court and i'll keep u guys updated.

That's pretty shady of him. Best of luck to you.

Vteckidd
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I'll pm you when I get home what side of town are you on?

My advice is let it go court is a waste of time with no written contract you have no case any judge throw it out as it's your word vs his. While it may make you have some sort of vindication forcing him to go to court ultimately it will wind up costing you more money out of pocket.

I would say if he doesn't at least answer here you've done the community a good service by sharing your experience and you have learned a valuable lesson at not a huge cost. Imagine of this was a $1000 laptop or a $5000 car etc

I'm positive my friends can fix it for you faster and cheaper than any best buy if it's a software issue it won't cost you anything . Hardware is cheap too depending on what it is.

ebkmike
03-02-2010, 04:42 PM
i think the guy knew what the problem was and sold you a fuck up laptop. Slap his mom and his broke ass!

cm7k24
03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
its kinda on you man for not checking it out when buying it. never buy something without checking it out.

but good luck on it.

FlyingStroke240
03-02-2010, 06:19 PM
like I said guys, he seemed like a dude I can trust but apparently not. it was my fault for not checking it but he also talked like he would stand the laptop if there was something wrong with it.

Elbow
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Sucks but you're screwed, nothing you can do, LOL at taking it to small claims court.

ALWAYS test stuff out.

ash7
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I'll pm you when I get home what side of town are you on?

My advice is let it go court is a waste of time with no written contract you have no case any judge throw it out as it's your word vs his. While it may make you have some sort of vindication forcing him to go to court ultimately it will wind up costing you more money out of pocket.

I would say if he doesn't at least answer here you've done the community a good service by sharing your experience and you have learned a valuable lesson at not a huge cost. Imagine of this was a $1000 laptop or a $5000 car etc

I'm positive my friends can fix it for you faster and cheaper than any best buy if it's a software issue it won't cost you anything . Hardware is cheap too depending on what it is.

sage advice :goodjob:

-jonathan

FlyingStroke240
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
btw I sent u a pm back, mike. lmk so can try to get it fixed...as far as the court goes, we're still going at it. I am more pissed cuz it wasn't like a week later that I told him about it but the same day. "brought it home, powered it on and text him right away."

Barefoot
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
if it was sold with no warranty and you didnt check it out before buying then its all on you. but is anything broken or damaged?
smartest thing ive hear u say yet.

swolejamaica
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM
you got a pm

04sleepa
03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
kind of slack not to check something you are spending money on huh?? lol

TRDwasiq
03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
You Should have checked it before u bought it !!! u gona take him to small court? lol

beeronus
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
for future references, never take a computer to Best Buy..... the only thing u should do there is buy products, not let them fix them. :no:

FlyingStroke240
03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
A little update on the situation: The seller have agreed to pay for half of the repair cost but I cannot seem to get hold of him. If you are one of his good friend, Please tell him that I'm waiting on his call. Fucking scammers.

04sleepa
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
i might for some dome...just saying..

radarblips
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Damn, I dealt with Vr back in the day with no probs...

Hope ya get it taken care of brah.

Btw, did the laptop come with any discs...recovery discs, etc?

FlyingStroke240
03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
yes it did.

chinitoxamor
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Here's the problem, you used your instinct to trust someone because you thought he was a cool guy, and now you're with a laptop that don't work and $200 short, that was your fault for not checking a product that you were buying, this guy is a good seller and buyer, I never had a problem, if you are wise then you should check every item you buy. Don't let your instinct that he's a cool guy get you

quickdodgeŽ
03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
that was your fault for not checking a product that you were buying

Although you're right, does this mean that the seller should be allowed to sell a broken product and not advertise it as broken in the hopes that the buyer won't check it? That's still shitty on the seller, too.

But I guess it doesn't matter as he won't be selling on here anymore. Later, QD.

stillaneon
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Just format the drive and start over. Hell I have a copy of XP, Vista and 7. Come to Henry County and I will put it on your machine. I'll charge you manual labor

But your computer will work!

chinitoxamor
03-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Although you're right, does this mean that the seller should be allowed to sell a broken product and not advertise it as broken in the hopes that the buyer won't check it? That's still shitty on the seller, too.

But I guess it doesn't matter as he won't be selling on here anymore. Later, QD.

both parties are at fault, one for not telling the buyer to check the product before selling, and one for the buyer not checking product before the purchase was processed.

quickdodgeŽ
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
both parties are at fault, one for not telling the buyer to check the product before selling, and one for the buyer not checking product before the purchase was processed.

They ARE both at fault, you're right. The seller shouldn't have to tell the buyer to check it out. The buyer should have known that. BUT, the seller should have told the buyer it was fucked up. The seller knew it was. Later, QD.

patrick2876
03-24-2010, 03:47 PM
you can probably fix it, got a usb flash drive? look up the drivers n download them n transfer them to the laptop.
ive done it alot

Me86Rob
03-26-2010, 12:34 AM
ill fix the laptop for you for $20. for $30 ill throw on a fresh copy of winows 7 ultimate

Greddypacked
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
That was sh!tty of the seller to do.