PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods my .02 on cams for boosted motors

Z U L8R
03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
all they do on boosted motors is make a little more power up top to lose spool down low.

will you ever hear anyone say, bigger cams made my turbo kick in sooner than stock cams did? no

i'm talking boosted motors. and boosted motors under 450whp

for N/A motors, cams would be the the first big thing you do. on a boosted motor, cams should be the last thing you do. bigger turbo and the appropriate supporting mods should be the first thing you do for a boosted motor.

i know everyone with mild to stock 240's runs out to buy cams thinking they're magical looking for the results that a bigger turbo or more boost would get them. it's not cam's you're wanting

if you don't have a turbo on your motor and you're looking for that big bump in power then YES, cams are what you should get.

if you want a fun responsive boost curve then you don't want aftermarket cams. all you're doing is pushing the powerband up higher.....yet you want quick response.....doesn't that seem counterproductive?

now lets say you don't give a shit about response, you're pissed you're making 390 and so close to making 400 but you don't wanna get another turbo and redo all the piping and what not.....ok bro, get some cam's, then you can get your 400hp goal you fell shy of.

i just think a lot of people are misinformed. they want to get good stuff for their cars, they get the money, but they don't know what to, and what not to, spend their money on. so they do what everyone else (who's not boosted) does, runs out and buys some cams cause they make more power......yes............. they will.....................eventually.

if what you want is more power NOW. then what you're wanting is more boost, not more cam.

stock cams ftmfw http://240atlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/goodjob.gif

my .02

Dave

MongolPup
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
VCT ftw.

NovaScotia
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
huge negative. cams can change the entire profile of the torque curve. smooth power delivery FTW. spinning four gears is only cool for like a week...