PDA

View Full Version : Daily an oldschool?

roscoe
03-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Anybody on here actually daily their old school? I've almost talked myself outta pulling the trigger on it but basically I have the opportunity to trade my Jetta for a pair of VW Caddy trucks. One is running and in great condition and the other also runs but would be a donor/parts car. I'm pretty much looking to see what you guys think about it as far as the pro's and con's of using an old school as a daily. I know the obvious such as it wont be as nice, etc. but I'm looking for the not so obvious points that might sway me one way or the other. As far as the mechanical side of things I'm finishing up my Automotive Technology deploma so if something goes wrong with it that won't be an issue. Thanks for any input from you guys and as always reps will be distributed.

roscoe
03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
And I will be getting some boot on the trade so don't tell me I'm a retard for trading even lol

quickdodgeŽ
03-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I daily my CVCC. If it runs and I feel it is dependable enough, it's all I drive. Several of us on here do as well. Why not, though? I can't see myself putting money into a car only to let it sit. Later, QD.

Machado
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
thats all i ever drive is old school cars. Haven't really had a huge problem daily driving them.

I also have AAA so i dont worry that much if i do break down.

F8d2Blk
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
My 510 is my current daily until the truck is ready. ;) Oh btw no heat, no defroster and 40 miles one way. :(

EP3sAreFun
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm brave.

I DD my starion... but i keep an eclipse in my pocket in case of emergencies lol

eraser4g63
03-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I daily a D-10 Military Blazer.

roscoe
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Any concrete pro's and con's guys?

1439/2000
03-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I daiyied my 1961 Internation Pickup for 6 mos. Pro's are good on gas and cheap to replace parts. Con's- no p/s

C-loS109
03-02-2010, 01:10 PM
i drive my daily 66! mustang!

F8d2Blk
03-02-2010, 01:13 PM

The main question, is hard or easy is it to get parts if something breaks?
Second question is would you cry if it get totalled? Or would you just get another one? In your predicament you actually have a back up, so no worries for you.

The biggest pro is cheap on gas, cheap insurance.

mushroom_toy
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
My cars not super oldschool....but the 432k+ miles on it tell everyone its a total daily.

EP3sAreFun
03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

if you really want to DD, i'd suggest some of these

1. Start with a Good shape car, or build up a good shape car before you start driving it everyday
2. You need to be able to work on it if something goes wrong. It won't be feasible to take it to the shop or call someone every time something goes wrong.
3. If possible, pick something you are already familiar with
4. If 3 isn't possible, join a forum and read up before you make a purchase
5. If you are super tight on money, it might be a bad idea to purchase an older car. Things will need to be replaced as you drive the car more.

I daily drove my crazy-modded starion for like 6 straight months till i lost my job, i had a backup car, and was ready at anytime to replace things as they went bad like a starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc...

91ma70
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I dd my wagon. It has left on the side of the road several times. I've always just fixed it there and kept goning.

Glides
03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm finishing up my Automotive Technology deploma

Good thing it's an Automotive Technology DIPLOMA. :crazy:

Lol, on the serious side. You can daily any car you want, as long as you are willing to do it. I daily drove numerous Old Schoolers.....hell I AM an Old Schooler so when I daily drove them, they were New School. I did my Starlet for awhile. If you can live without creature comforts and the looming possibility that you might be stranded for periods of time when something goes out, I say go for it.

VW's are good ones to do. Parts are EVERYWHERE and they are cheap. So yea, do it.

roscoe
03-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey it's a TECHNICAL college lol. Thanks for all the info guys I think I'm gonna go thru with it wish me luck! Hopefully everything will work out well with the trade.

roscoe
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm repped out ep3sarefun and glides I'll get back to you guys asap

Me86Rob
03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
I daily my 86. All pros no cons

Glides
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I daily my 86. All pros no cons

Lol you don't go anywhere. Daily smoking pot on the couch doesn't constitute daily driving a car ya lazy ass mofo :)

mushroom_toy
03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Lol you don't go anywhere. Daily smoking pot on the couch doesn't constitute daily driving a car ya lazy ass mofo :)

I had to laugh at that. :lmfao:

DeeAOne
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
my car is not as old as most but i dd'ed it everyday until the swap began. 199k and was still rolling strong. :yes:

roscoe
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Going this weekend to discuss the trade!

HypnoToad
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
i DDed my 3rd gen camaro......no problems,aside from rush hour killed my gas milage but i got almost 30mpg on the hwy.

gumby240
03-03-2010, 04:56 PM
From Woodstock to Smyrna everyday in a 1970 Datsun 240Z !
The only way to go, it's really funny to see the look on peoples
faces at the gas station when you have to climb out of your race
seat and over the rollcage to get out of the car :)

driftyboy
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I daily my '76 Corolla. Hell, I deliver pizzas in it. I bought my old school car to drive it, not to sit in a garage.

87 Turbo II
03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I daily my car. It HAS broken a good number of times. The good part about that is that the level of simplicity when everything is manual makes it easy to fix. It's getting parts you can't just go pick up at autozone without waiting for them to ship from a specialized that'll leave you carless for a week or two at a time. My car also has broken down several times with entirely different problems in one day before which REALLY fucks shit up. All in all, it';s reached the point where I've replaced os much stuff, that I know nearly everything is far from breaking again and that makes the car dependable in terms of nearly all new stuff, but I keep getting bitten by stupid things like hard to find molded hoses erupting, or a special hard to find relay or something blowing.

vinayak
03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
I daily my built by me 70 Beetle. No heat, no power steering, no air conditioning, all drum non boosted brakes and love every minute of it. If you get the trucks I can point you in the right direction for parts. There is no shortage on them and most are pretty cheap and not bad quality. I am currently working on my 81 Jetta and 79 Rabbit.

mushroom_toy
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
My car has never left me on the side of the road....in fact taking it to Fl this weekend.

RutRoe
03-03-2010, 11:38 PM
These guys may not realize how awesomely cool Caddy's are. A Caddy, fellas, is a Rabbit pickup.

My first car was a 81 Rabbit Pickup. Diesel, 4sp, topped out at 65 mph but it got 52+ mpg's. I was talking about it just the other day.

Get it man !

imbatman
03-04-2010, 01:21 AM
i daily mine

Dolemite
03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I dont even feel right unless i daily an old schol whip. The most important thing is to have towing on your car insurance!!! It makes or breaks you when you do have a failure. Keep tools and a jack with you and If you can afford to buy new tires it will make your life a lot easier. For the first 6 months jus keep an eye on everything, check all the hoses cause rubber ages no matter how few miles are on the car also dont leave the house without your phone. Jus yesterday i put a aftermarket ignition system in Glydes 521 and it took a shit on me 1 min away from the shop. It was a long push to get it back. (thank god its really light). And there were 4 people at the shop but I left my phone on charge at the shop so I got my work out for the day!!!
But I would not have it any other way.

volk_ef9
03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
i daily my conquest. pro's its fun and quick as hell.cons= sucks when it breaks lol

Stormhammer
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
i daily my conquest. pro's its fun and quick as hell.cons= sucks when it breaks lol

that's why I bought a Crown Vic :lmfao:

... that the transmission O/D burned out 4k miles later :( for an 2005

Glides
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I dont even feel right unless i daily an old schol whip. The most important thing is to have towing on your car insurance!!! It makes or breaks you when you do have a failure. Keep tools and a jack with you and If you can afford to buy new tires it will make your life a lot easier. For the first 6 months jus keep an eye on everything, check all the hoses cause rubber ages no matter how few miles are on the car also dont leave the house without your phone. Jus yesterday i put a aftermarket ignition system in Glydes 521 and it took a shit on me 1 min away from the shop. It was a long push to get it back. (thank god its really light). And there were 4 people at the shop but I left my phone on charge at the shop so I got my work out for the day!!!
But I would not have it any other way.

Well John, you are like a Mexican Wrestler with an Afro.

VIVA DE LA SANTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need a special mask so that when you go rescue Old Schoolers (And you are NOT a true Old Schooler until you've been rescued on the side of the road by a friend) you can do it in style man.

Props to John, he rescued me on the side of 85 North being buffetted and blown around by semi trucks. THAT is a True lover of Old School cars man. When 3 people load up in a Corolla wagon and make a beeline for you in the dark after hours.....It's like a Special Forces hit squad. "Ring ring" There goes the Red Phone...mobilize bitches!

roscoe
03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Reppin as much as I can guys. If this falls through with the Caddy then I'm gonna keep an eye out for something on the Old School Classifieds!!

eraser4g63
03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
The funniest part about DDing my old school cars is that My 2002 Protege broke down more than my FC3S, AE86 and my 1985 D-10 military blazer combined. And hell this truck is big as hell and i still get 20mpg.

gottraction?
03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
i dd my 85 gsl-se

Me86Rob
03-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Thats fucked up glides. lol

tnomud
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
my 53 has been parked in a barns since 1975. I have a few more issues to work out, but plan to DD drive it all summer (no heat)

91ma70
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Props to John, he rescued me on the side of 85 North being buffetted and blown around by semi trucks. THAT is a True lover of Old School cars man. When 3 people load up in a Corolla wagon and make a beeline for you in the dark after hours.....It's like a Special Forces hit squad. "Ring ring" There goes the Red Phone...mobilize bitches!

I remember that night shit was cold as hell.Also the first time I got to ride in duke.:D

Total_Blender
03-11-2010, 08:14 AM
1.) The thing about the older VW's is that they are either indirect-injection diesel (IDI) or they use the CIS fuel injection system. Not just any old mechanic can work on either one of those systems. I've seen lots of people with CIS end up stranded because they didn't know how anything about it, their friends and even their mechanics didn't know anything about it. There are lot of little differences between VW's and most other cars. For example, on a VW the timing marks are on the flywheel and you have to pull a stopper out of the bellhousing to see them.

2.) With a watercooled VW there are a few special tools you will need, like a set of XZN sockets (aka triple square). They are like an allen wrench, but 12 point instead of 6. They are used where the CV axles bolt to the transmission, for the head bolts, and other places too. Autozone has them in a set of 4 for $12 or so. Tell them you want item 25015. If they tell you they don't have it, they are shitting you.
http://www.kruztools.com/zzztripleww.jpg

3.) You'll need a set of allen wrenches too. Best to get the socket bit kind because you'll be using them a lot.

4.) Platform designations are always "mark," as used in King's english. As in Lee-Enfield Rifle No. 1, Mk III or Jagaur XK140 Saloon, MkII. You never, ever pronounce it as "emm-kay." The only exception is when you're doing it ironically to make fun of the newer generation of VW's and their fans who don't know the correct form, in which case you would say "Emm-Kay-Eye-Vee". :lmfao:

Elbow
03-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Cars are cars, it's not special to daily drive an old car, it's far more of a risk to daily drive a newer highly modified car. Old cars half the time you can even ghetto rig the fuck out of to get home.

I've daily driven newer and old cars and never thought of it being any different. A cars a car each make and model has its pros and cons.

RollaAce
03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
A car is meant to be driven, i'll be dammned if i buy one just to look at it. I daily drive my 86 sr5 coupe like it's a late model car, hella reliable and I will drive it anywhere, DC, KY, Atl, Nawlins u name it. Used to tow cars with it til i bought truck this year, no shit, had to replace clutch twice. Truck and tow dolly makes life much easier.

LeX
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
haha that was fun... you know what I mean. Thanks again to John for rescuing us and the food when the 510 exploded. I only have 1 tow left on my policy now haha

Glides
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
haha that was fun... you know what I mean. Thanks again to John for rescuing us and the food when the 510 exploded. I only have 1 tow left on my policy now haha

Yea what exactly happened with that? You hit the NAWS button prematurely or something?

ps2man21
03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
my SA is my daily

Machado
03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
my SA is my daily

Pictures of said SA ;)

Thighs
03-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I dd and beat the hell out of my 84 e30... and it has never let me down. 500k+ miles of the bottom end and it takes the punishment. It does need a good bit of maintenance but im okay with it. gives me something to do.

KERR
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
before the kids and a broken crank i daily drove ( no rain or snow) 67 corvette.... once the kids cam no place for car seats... and then when i broke the crank we went back to evil parts.. now is 13.5 to 1 compression and a 110 octain motor now...

Elbow
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I guess my MR2 is "old school" (85) and I dd that, before that I had an E30 with a shit high of miles like Thighs posted and never had a real issue with it either.

ps2man21
03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Pictures of said SA ;)

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/9800/downsized0217001518.jpg (http://img367.imageshack.us/i/downsized0217001518.jpg/)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2697/downsized0219001655.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/i/downsized0219001655.jpg/)

quickdodgeŽ
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Can you please resize that? Later, QD.

RollaAce
03-23-2010, 02:40 PM
I always buy a parts car for any car old school ride i have. I have a truck and tow dolly so if i can just get home im good.

zet
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
my FB is my daily..

94_teg_ls
03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
i dd my 85 rx7 for 3 years before i broke my int. plate and 2 freeze plugs before that ran good even after that still did 296xxx miles still going

tack311
03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I am DD'ing my FB 22 miles each way. I am also relentless on it. Gas mileage isn't good,but most of that comes from being in the secondaries way too much. I also have a Pathfinder and use of a tow dolly in case though. Pros: so much fun on the way to work,hell the only con is no A/C.

ps2man21
03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah
ive never had a car with A/C
so never bothers me

ftp
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
i drove my 78 chevy truck 1 1/2 hours each way to work for a year. Granted a built 454, no overdrive and 3.73 gears made for 9 miles a gallon; it was all worth it when people tell you your nuts for dd'ing that kind of vehicle. BTW, i drove that mutha fukka like i stole it chirping the tires goin into 3rd on a automatic everyday

roscoe
03-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I dd and beat the hell out of my 84 e30... and it has never let me down. 500k+ miles of the bottom end and it takes the punishment. It does need a good bit of maintenance but im okay with it. gives me something to do.

the e30 u and travis went back and forth with right? i praise u for dailying a e30, mine was nothing but electrical trouble

WhoShotJR?
03-29-2010, 09:37 AM

i daily drive my celica and some concrete problems are when something goes wrong like an old brake line finally freezes its cost upwards $500 to fix in a day so i can have to drive to work. not to mention dumbasses opening doors on it at the store no mater how far you park form the door. my car was slammed into while parked in my work lot. it took 3 months to find all the replacement parts and trim pieces.

VWGirl
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
You're a retard for calling a rabbit pickup truck a caddy...

But as far as a daily driver... if you don't know how to take care of a car then don't do it.
If you are not going to keep up with maintenance then don't do it.
If you don't keep the basic spare parts and tools with you to keep it running, then you're a fool, but you could still do it.

I've had an old school DD since 1997... Actually... I have never had anything "new" because I don't trust it...

Big_Dave
04-03-2010, 01:10 AM
:boobies: :goodjob:??

FasTech
04-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I daily drove my accord for 5 months until it took a dump on me. Thinking a bad carb, turner into a little more. Lost compression on the #3 cylinder so I just sold it for a $100 less than what I paid for it. When I get my aunt '84 Corolla this year, I will more than likely daily it for a while too.

BABY J
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I daily my CVCC. If it runs and I feel it is dependable enough, it's all I drive. Several of us on here do as well. Why not, though? I can't see myself putting money into a car only to let it sit. Later, QD.

This.

roscoe
04-04-2010, 11:18 AM
You're a retard for calling a rabbit pickup truck a caddy...

lol

roscoe
04-18-2010, 08:16 PM
So far my search has been a major fail. Now I'm thinking more of old school Toyotas. Like a kp30 or something to that effect.