PDA

View Full Version : tips on differential bearing?

Mmmm_Bacon
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
ok, so the swap i bought the trans case was busted up pretty bad, i bought a new case with plans on salvaging what i can out of the old, and replace what i have to.

where my problem is pulling the outer case off the bell housing, i have the ring off the countershaft, and started prying on the case, well the diff bearing is seized in the outer case, they diff bearing in a bell housing is coming out with ease, but sinces its pulling the diff up with it, its not going anywhere

BTW the trans is a k20a3 5spd trans,

solblu
03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
if you can get it to come up just a bit you can use a large socket 19-21 prob and tap the diff down where the axle goes.

Not sure about the K series ones, but eh D and B's have detent balls you have to remove or the gears all try to come up with the case.

Starrfire
03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
^^^not to mention the bolt holding the reverse shaft in place in B's

Batlground
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
if you can get it to come up just a bit you can use a large socket 19-21 prob and tap the diff down where the axle goes.

Not sure about the K series ones, but eh D and B's have detent balls you have to remove or the gears all try to come up with the case.

Do that, if it doesnt work then you may need a press. Make sure you remove all the balls and springs first.